+ Follow This Topic
Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: culture

You guys argue so much its not funny. No one is better than anyone whether you want to believe it or not. Yes there are Americans that act superior, but dont act so innocent there. Every time I go on youtube or whatever site, I read comments from people who arent american saying they are better than Americans and that Americans suck. How much of a life do you have if you are spending it putting down Americans? I dont see why we seperate ourselves from one another like we're all of different species or something. Am I too young to understand why there are constant arguements about who's country is better? If so, I think I'd rather stay young.

As for Starbuck's comment about going back to flirting with the guys and talking about food, I'm assuming she was just trying to lighten the mood. Is that a crime now?
    ..::.*Love is giving someone the ability to break your heart but trusting them not to*.::..

There is definetly a big obesity problem in Australia. There's been a big push towards healthier foods here recently through all kinds of campiagns, hopefully this will help.

On a brighter note, I'm doing better in slowly giving up meat in favour of seafood / soup / salads and shifting to a healthier diet. Hopefully obesity won't be a problem I'll face in the future.
    Don't cry, don't regret and don't blame
    Weak find the whip, willing find freedom
    Towards the sun, carry your name
    In warm hands you are given
    Ask the wind for the way
    Uncertainty's gone, your path will unravel
    Accept all as it is and do not blame
    God or the Devil
    ~Born to Live - Mavrik~

Quote Originally Posted by doppelgaenger View Post
    I mean, was somebody offended or something? As I recall, I was not arguing, but making my point, in that more perspectives = better understanding. I was not accusing her of anything.
    I wasn't offended. But you directed your post specifically at me, so I answered it. For the record, I enjoy hearing foreigners' opinions of America, that is if they're open minded and educated enough to see beyond caricatures. You're actually preaching to the converted here, hun.

And yes, I was getting tired of the debate. I've been sick with this cold for three days and I am cranky.
    “Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist”--George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by Gribble View Post
    If every idiot outside Australia talked about your country negatively while ignoring facts, reason and logic, eventually that happy-go-lucky attitude would dissolve. It gets old after a while.

There are a lot of dumb shits in America. But there's every bit as many dumb shits outside it. And every chance they get they want to make some kind of absurd remark based off either a brief vacation in the states, a stereotypical view, or some twisted nonsense one of the talking heads on TV spouted.
    Whenever tourists visit St. Thomas and go to the beaches or shopping, there's alot of complaining. This one time I was at one of our most tourist filled beaches, and I went to the bathroom. The bathroom smelled so bad, and they never flush the ****ing toilets. So this tourist came in complaining about how nasty it was and I got mad because it's not like it just happened out of nowhere...the same nagging ****s are the same ones doing it. I hate when they expect to see sooooo much like what you see in the states... it's an island for ****'s sake. I dont like when people come here judging our island and where they came from is only better because there are more oppurtunities and more to explore. I know the Virgin Islands has alot of flaws, matter of fact its so ****ed up it makes me sick to my stomach. But you know what, it's my home, and as much as it pisses me off, I will always love where I came from.
    ..::.*Love is giving someone the ability to break your heart but trusting them not to*.::..

Gribble is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Heh. Those sorts of people ought to take a trip to Asia where people don't even use toilet paper. They use their own hands.
    God, so atrocious in the Old Testament, so attractive in the New--the Jekyl and Hyde of sacred romance.
    -Mark Twain

If people are good only because they fear punishment and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
    -Albert Einstein

bluesummer is offline Whatever.
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I would like to be born into the Indian culture....I love all types of Indian food, Bollywood movies, and wearing saris. Oh, but not in India....I'd want to be born into a modern Indian family where I wouldn't have to marry someone my parents chose for me.

It also wouldn't hurt if I ended up loking like Aishwarya Rai. She's hot.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. - Mohandas Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by starbuck View Post
    Here's another study on the world's healthiest countries. Australia beats us on this list.

[url]http://www.fitsugar.com/1535111[/url]
    2. Sweden

Quote Originally Posted by Frasbee View Post
    We found our goals list the other day that we created months ago, and we had "camp in white sands New Mexico" on there!

So who's visiting who first?
    frizzzz, if you come to new mexico, i'll show you some far superior places. white sands is cool for a day trip, but the mountains are where you want to camp. northern new mexico > southern.
    baby ya hustle. but me i hustle harder.

Quote Originally Posted by shh! View Post

Anyway obesity is associated with poverty.

Obesity? What the **** are you talking about. I look people in russia, poor people in my own country, and poor people all over the world.
    There is no obesity...

I don't know what is your standard of poor but I guess poor people are the ones who don't have the ugly SUV then... People make 100k in a year and it still isn't enough, you ask them if they are rich.. they go"me? rich? Why do you think I am rich? I am normal". People want more.

Stupid cunt.
    Last edited by boobaa; 02-10-08 at 10:18 PM.
    Don't expect anything.

Gribble is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by boobaa View Post
    Obesity? What the **** are you talking about. I look people in russia, poor people in my own country, and poor people all over the world.
    There is no obesity...

I don't know what is your standard of poor but I guess poor people are the ones who don't have the ugly SUV then... People make 100k in a year and it still isn't enough, you ask them if they are rich.. they go"me? rich? Why do you think I am rich? I am normal". People want more.

Stupid cunt.
    You can disagree with a person without insulting them. You are one of the dumbest posters on this forum. You're narrow-minded, arrogant, likely uneducated and apparently bitterly depressed and miserable. Until I stumbled across you I thought all Estonians were a cool bunch of people. You've proven me wrong. Thanks. I don't want to stereotype an entire people.
    God, so atrocious in the Old Testament, so attractive in the New--the Jekyl and Hyde of sacred romance.
    -Mark Twain

If people are good only because they fear punishment and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
    -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Gribble View Post
    You can disagree with a person without insulting them. You are one of the dumbest posters on this forum. You're narrow-minded, arrogant, likely uneducated and apparently bitterly depressed and miserable. Until I stumbled across you I thought all Estonians were a cool bunch of people. You've proven me wrong. Thanks. I don't want to stereotype an entire people.
    I doubt it. You know, there are two times I have insulted anyone in this forum, this is the second, because she just crossed the line. There is certain number of members here who have given much greater insults.. Besides, I am not miserable.

Narrow minded? Cool. Uneducated? Fine. And what is your basis for that?

On topic. The problem with America is that they make themselves a superior country, but yet they don't know much about Europe or rest of the world..
    Don't expect anything.

And vice versa boobaa. Foreign countries have so much hate for America as if America ****ed their mothers' or something. As I stated earlier plenty foreign countries act superior, but no you'd rather sit and pin point America for whatever reason. America is not the only country with people who make it sound superior. Are you trying to say foreign countries dont say the same bullshit americans do? Cuz I can direct you to a ton of youtube links or any site for that matter where people randomnly say America sucks and where they're from runs America.

To add to that...does Europe or any other foreign country know anything about the U.S.? I didnt think so.

Tedel Guest
    If you don't mind a cocktail for this, I'd take:

+ North American (include Canada, please) practical way to see life: you agree to something and you fulfil your word, period. You are not mean people.
    + Asian respect for traditions, moral, law and authorities.
    + African love and respect for nature.
    + European way to see and improve culture and arts. Personally, I admire the "Russian school" and Ukrainian beauty.
    + Latin passion, tenderness, solidarity sense of humour and lightheartedness. What can I say? I'm a Latin.

Yeah, you can thank if you want...

Tedel Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by LadieNisha4u2nv View Post
    And vice versa boobaa. Foreign countries have so much hate for America as if America ****ed their mothers' or something. As I stated earlier plenty foreign countries act superior, but no you'd rather sit and pin point America for whatever reason. America is not the only country with people who make it sound superior. Are you trying to say foreign countries dont say the same bullshit americans do? Cuz I can direct you to a ton of youtube links or any site for that matter where people randomnly say America sucks and where they're from runs America.

To add to that...does Europe or any other foreign country know anything about the U.S.? I didnt think so.
    America (well, United States) again? The hatred 'why' is simple: you have kind polite people but a ridiculously hypocrite government. Biological weapons in Iraq, for example? Ha. You (read, your government not your citizens) wanted the oil, period. Things like these are the ones who make your country look bad.

look i think ultimately there are issues that are ridiculous in all countries. Americans are great people, the country's structure however is not, But look at WWII and germany, look at china and the human rights violations. look at russia and stalin. Australia and their treatment of aboriginals, Ireland and their treatment of gypsies. ALL countries have/had issues. But its not neccessarily the people (the layman) that is to blame. I've done my ranting on the american structure. But to critisise their people is unfair. I think America is lobsided when it comes to education and poverty. I think there are some great countries like sweden and switzerland (altho i do have some issues with the swiss in regard to WWII). I think there is too much ignorance going on in this thread. There have been plenty of amazing inventions and intelligent people from america and europe and china and all other countries.

now who wants to get back to topic and tell me what culture they would choose if they had to?
    Last edited by ecojeanne; 03-10-08 at 01:16 AM.
    Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast