+ Follow This Topic
Page 8 of 27 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Protestant Family and my search for truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Off2College View Post
    study philosophy
    Shut up, you might make people smart. We wouldn't want everyone smart now would we?
    "Why are you an atheist?"
    "because I paid attention in science class."

anachronistic Guest
    Ahh pooballs. I am sick of debating this topic. With that being said, I removed all the stuff I said.
    Last edited by anachronistic; 14-01-08 at 02:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSphinx View Post
    While perhaps a little late into this post, lilwing, I think your family should be okay with your decision. I'm sure that they will be concerned, but just remind them of the prodigal son (though you may not be living it through to its full extent).

To the broader issue. In my view, science and religion both have holes. There are some who base their decisions on "feelings" or "experiences" while there are many "great minds" who have researches and poured over incredible amounts of knowledge in search of an answer and still have come to divided conclusions.

Like a previous poster mentioned, it's a lifelong process. Live as you reason or feel it best and then accept the consequences that come with your decisions.

~Sphinx
    Except that science has no holes. The holes that do exist in science are only there because we have yet to find answers to fill them with...but at least unlike religion we don't just make them up.

anachronistic Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Only-virgins View Post
    Except that science has no holes. The holes that do exist in science are only there because we have yet to find answers to fill them with...but at least unlike religion we don't just make them up.
    Not necessarily all the time.

All religion is just a theory. People make a mistake when they start confusing it for the truth, that's all.
    Spammer Spanker

...science has no holes. The holes that do exist in science...
    I'm confused...

~Sphinx

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I'm confused...

~Sphinx
    LOL, ouch OV you got busted. Rare as it is, gotta take your lumps buddy...

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigabitch View Post
    All religion is just a theory.
    Actually its not. Sorry to be pedantic, Gig, but this is what the ID ppl want you to think & have gone to great expense (literally) to make happen. Don't be confused. All religion is *faith*, not theory. A theory means you can make testable predictions & gather new evidence to either support or reject said theory. Notice I'm not making a judgement about either, just stating clearly the difference.

This is the reason why creationism (or ID, or any variant of same) must not be admitted into a science curriculum. Ever. Its NOT science. Some, like Richard Dawkins, argue (convincingly, IMO) that its the complete antithesis.

Okay, you're right. My point was, it's not proven, but you're right, a theory has much more evidence backing it up than anyone's belief system.

Faith: Believing in something you know ain't so. -Mark Twain
    Spammer Spanker

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigabitch View Post
    Okay, you're right. My point was, it's not proven, but you're right, a theory has much more evidence backing it up than anyone's belief system.

Faith: Believing in something you know ain't so. -Mark Twain
    Its a touchy subject to the science community these days. Normally we are pretty introverted & quiet, but recent trends are making us come out of our corner with both arms (and all neurons) in full swinging mode.

Its gonna get ugly. I wonder if we'll end up living on a remote island compound like in Brave New World (was it that book or 1984)?

Sadly, I can't remember. Haven't read either of those since high school.

I have known many assholes who weren't fanatically religious, but I've never met a religious fanatic who wasn't an asshole.
    Spammer Spanker

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    LOL, whichever it was, I just hope the island is warm with palm trees and good mooring. Then I won't frankly care.

Tho I have been wondering: does it take becoming an asshole to fight one sometimes? Our ideals would like us to say 'no, that's not zen', but I dunno. On both sides, those are the only ones who seem to be heard. The moderates are being ignored.

I'm confused...

~Sphinx
    About what? Like I said, it has no holes..because my point was that it is only a matter of time before we fill them with truth when we find it. The truth is we are progressing in science daily. There is no holes, we perceive holes because we don't have the answers to them YET, once we do we realize there was no hole in the first place. I am tired of using the word "hole" as an analogy for "questions". Science at least answers questions in due time.

When is religion going to fill at least one of their holes? how about where god exists? what he looks like? and why should I care when he sucks anyways with what he is be doing in this world? I don't ask those questions though, don't answer them now...I think asking them is giving religion to much credit as it is.

Quote Originally Posted by IndiReloaded View Post
    LOL, ouch OV you got busted. Rare as it is, gotta take your lumps buddy...
    I hate taking lumps when it is the other people who miss understand what I mean. I mean, this guy talks about holes? what the hell is a hole when speaking of science and religion in the first place? I am assuming it is unanswered questions.

I know science runs on logic and reason and as long as there is no fault in the person's logic and reasoning who is interpreting the data than science is flawless. Best thing about science is that in never claims anything for 100% fact when any form of doubt exists.

What is worse is having a debate with a religious person about science since they know so little usually about it that they have no right to open their mouth...while religion..there is nothing to know...no one knows anything about religion...it is all made up. The priest knows about god as much as that 3rd grader living down the street from me. God could be a pink elephant for all that priest knows.

It all comes down to faith with religion and faith is illogical, unreasonable, foolish, childish, and silly. If someone doesn't mind being all those things, be my guest.
    Last edited by Only-virgins; 15-01-08 at 06:32 AM.

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    OV, do you not understand that you said "there are no holes" followed immediately by "any holes that exist"? The second portion you wrote concedes that there ARE holes that are as yet unsolved.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

.because my point was that it is only a matter of time before we fill them with truth when we find it
    To which religious fanatics will answer, "And it's only a matter of time before we fill them with truth on judgment day."

~Sphinx

Page 8 of 27 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast