+ Follow This Topic
Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Aethist or Religious?

On the contrary, the multiple meanings of English words are listed in the dictionary. Maybe you should pull one out and have a look?
    Last edited by shh!; 20-09-08 at 03:23 AM.

anachronistic Guest
    Which one shall I use? My unabridged English dictionary, my German/English dictionary, my Spanish/English dictionary, my Japanese/English dictionary, my Russian/English dictionary, my pocket reference dictionary, or my dashboard widget dictionary? Or should I go on urbandictionary.com, dictionary.com, or something else?

They're all within an arm's reach. Should I also say, that dictionaries don't dictate the meanings of words, but give a general sense of what they mean, from a literal sense. On the contrary, I'd like to just slap you with one of my dictionaries.

Gribble is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Erm. Anachronistic, you really need to start picking up some books and reading. Seriously. You may know German like the back of your hand, but apparently you don't know English quite so well.
    God, so atrocious in the Old Testament, so attractive in the New--the Jekyl and Hyde of sacred romance.
    -Mark Twain

If people are good only because they fear punishment and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
    -Albert Einstein

anachronistic Guest
    This is more about linguistics than it is English, Gribs.

I'm just pointing out the pointlessness in all this arguing over dictionary definitions.

Maybe I will just shut my mouth and paint a picture about this sad and pathetic realization.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by anachronistic View Post
    They're all within an arm's reach. Should I also say, that dictionaries don't dictate the meanings of words, but give a general sense of what they mean, from a literal sense. On the contrary, I'd like to just slap you with one of my dictionaries.
    I cannot believe you would say that. Of all the things you've ever said, Cucumber thread included, this is the most absurd. DICTIONaries don't DICTATE the meanings of words? They're general? They just give a sense of what a word means? Oh, please. Words are every bit as important as meaning. They are what convey meaning. If you say one thing but mean another that's simply because you have a poor vocabulary. Don't blame the dictionaries or the people who look at you funny.

Words can be used in creative ways, sure, but not when it comes to debate, journalism, philosophy, etc.
    God, so atrocious in the Old Testament, so attractive in the New--the Jekyl and Hyde of sacred romance.
    -Mark Twain

If people are good only because they fear punishment and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
    -Albert Einstein

anachronistic Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Gribble View Post
    I cannot believe you would say that. Of all the things you've ever said, Cucumber thread included, this is the most absurd. DICTIONaries don't DICTATE the meanings of words? They're general? They just give a sense of what a word means? Oh, please. Words are every bit as important as meaning. They are what convey meaning. If you say one thing but mean another that's simply because you have a poor vocabulary. Don't blame the dictionaries or the people who look at you funny.
    Let us not forget sarcasm and innuendo!

Words do have a certain meaning in and of themselves, but it is the context which alters meaning, damnit. I am not arguing any further. I've taken the ****ing classes on this stuff.

And if you look at diction in the dictionary (hehe) it is the CHOICE of words and phrases

So much for that point.

And is the choice of words necessarily 'creative' or limited in creativity when it comes to certain topics.... to a point. There are so many idiomatic things that creativity has a place in every subject in English. If this weren't the case, people would be using Latin or Esperanto more often.

And **** this shit. Mocking my intelligence for holding a debate? You are unable of handling controversy. I'm done corresponding with your crummy debate.
    Last edited by anachronistic; 20-09-08 at 03:31 AM.

You might want to sign up for an ESL class first?

Quote Originally Posted by Gribble View Post
    I cannot believe you would say that. Of all the things you've ever said, Cucumber thread included, this is the most absurd.

Could you please define "absurd"? I know better than to trust the dictionary definition.

anachronistic Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by shh! View Post
    You might want to sign up for an ESL class first?
    I'll let my school advisors, and professors, who are actually qualified to tell me which classes I should/should not take, tell me what I might be interested in taking.

In other words, **** off.

you're being a bit rough on the poor chap....anachronistic knows what he's talking about....linguistics is a very complicated study of language like other sciences — is highly interdisciplinary and draws on work from such fields as psychology, informatics, computer science, philosophy, biology, human anatomy, neuroscience, sociology, anthropology, and acoustics.

involves

Phonetics, the study of the physical properties of speech (or signed) production and perception
    Phonology, the study of sounds (adjusted appropriately for signed languages) as discrete, abstract elements in the speaker's mind that distinguish meaning
    Morphology, the study of internal structures of words and how they can be modified
    Syntax, the study of how words combine to form grammatical sentences
    Semantics, the study of the meaning of words (lexical semantics) and fixed word combinations (phraseology), and how these combine to form the meanings of sentences
    Pragmatics, the study of how utterances are used (literally, figuratively, or otherwise) in communicative acts
    Discourse analysis, the analysis of language use in texts (spoken, written, or signed)

you have to be highly intelligent to study and complete the courses
    Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Yeah, context is important.

My dad tends to his car religiously. Every inch must sparkle. The oil must be changed every three thousand miles on the dot.

That example uses a specific meaning of the word religious, one you will find in any decent dictionary. There is also a specific definition which pertains to the context of this discussion before it got utterly derailed. You'll find it in the dictionary as well.

This ain't poetry we're writing here. Dictionaries aren't rough guidelines. They're the final go-to when folks are in disagreement.
    -Mark Twain

-Albert Einstein

anachronistic Guest
    What gives you the impression I want to use religion poetically?

Quote Originally Posted by Only-virgins View Post
    I am tired so this is quick

1.)Yes

2.) Spiritual, I am sure you have heard that before.
    1) How can they be Religious if they don't follow a Religion? It's like saying I'm a scientist, even though I don't do any research work and never did anything in the field, BUT I know the earth spins around the sun. I'm a scientist!
    Don't cry, don't regret and don't blame
    Weak find the whip, willing find freedom
    Towards the sun, carry your name
    In warm hands you are given
    Ask the wind for the way
    Uncertainty's gone, your path will unravel
    Accept all as it is and do not blame
    God or the Devil
    ~Born to Live - Mavrik~

bluesummer is offline Whatever.
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Anachronistic, you're a smart guy, but get off the high horse already. I've studied multiple languages too.....French, German, Spanish, Russian, Hindi, and Punjabi (which I can guarantee is harder than any language you've ever attempted to learn). I understand linguistics just as well as you, yet you're making it sound like you, at your tender young age, have a grasp on something that is beyond everyone's reach here. I wouldn't give yourself that much credit yet my dear, seriously.

OV was the one who decided he wanted to challenge the base definition of 'religion'. We weren't just discussing 'definitons', but also how our own personal spirituality or lack thereof plays into that definition.

Your rant was a little uncalled for.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. - Mohandas Gandhi

anachronistic Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by bluesummer View Post
    Punjabi (which I can guarantee is harder than any language you've ever attempted to learn).
    Right now I am learning Serbian in my freetime which is just as hard, if not harder.

Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast