+ Follow This Topic
Page 9 of 28 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: In Praise of Traditional Women

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by IndiReloaded View Post
    But why would they? I think Dalia's point, which I agree with, is that women shouldn't be copying men. They should just work according to their strengths. Personally, I have a lot of skills that are typically 'male',.
    And thanks to feminism, you have the right to use your stereotypically "male" qualities.

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by vashti View Post
    And thanks to feminism, you have the right to use your stereotypically "male" qualities.
    I've always had the 'right'. But I acknowledge that my mother, aunt, and other female mentors in my life definitely paved the way for my use of them to be more 'socially acceptable'. So, lets have a National 'Remembering Feminism' Day, and be done with it. Marie Curie can be our mascot.

Strangely, when I run across it, it is women I find that are most threatened by other successful women. Not men. Women are often their own worst enemy when it comes to gender politics.

But, as Dalia said (and I agree):

Let either gender pay homage to their origins and traditional values within reason...
    'Reasonable' is no longer crying that women are treated unfairly in our society. Its just not true. We've got control of our reproduction, we've got access to education, healthcare, jobs--just like men. The numbers of women coming out of university programs and in the workforce no longer support the argument that women are oppressed. Its like I said: gender politics is a 20th century concern. Women have the same career and workplace opportunities as men, provided they have the skill sets appropriate to that environment.

Viva meritocracy. Darwinian evolution applied to the sexes. Works for me.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I was thinking while I was at the store, buying easy to make foods that I would love to have someone, woman or not, at home to cook something really delicious on a regular basis.

Running a house on top of a full time job and part-time school is stupid.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Invest a few bucks in a freezer, Fras. Used or new. I know it seems like a lot of cash, but when you calc what you will save in $$ and time by cooking in quantity (freeze in single serve aliquots), its worth it. We did this as students and never regretted it. Plus, you can always sell the freezer if/when you move and recover some of the cost.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    'Reasonable' is no longer crying that women are treated unfairly in our society. Its just not true. .
    Yeah, I don't think this argument is being used anymore, at least not on a widespread basis. The only people I hear claiming that women say this these days are bitter men.

I suppose things may be different in Canada.

Get some Penne Pasta, Alfredo Sauce, Packaged Frozen Broccoli and Boneless Chicken Breast, Canned Mushroom or Fresh and some Italian Dressing. I'll show you how to cook something quick and delicious

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by vashti View Post
    Yeah, I don't think this argument is being used anymore, at least not on a widespread basis. The only people I hear claiming that women say this these days are bitter men.

I suppose things may be different in Canada.
    I'm sure you are trying to make an intelligent comment about my post, Vash. Not sure your point about Canada, tho. Canada is overall more consistent and progressive in approaches regarding human rights than the US, which is why we always rank in the top 5 UN Index for best countries to live in. No death penalty, gay marriage okay, social medicine, subsidized post-secondary education, that sort of thing.

We don't have a lot of feministas here, if that is what you mean. Any bras that are burned are b/c we are freezing cold up here, no other reason.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Maybe Vash doesn't know because she's not dating these women. A lot of extra information about a woman tends to come out after you stick a penis into her vagina.
    Don't cry, don't regret and don't blame
    Weak find the whip, willing find freedom
    Towards the sun, carry your name
    In warm hands you are given
    Ask the wind for the way
    Uncertainty's gone, your path will unravel
    Accept all as it is and do not blame
    God or the Devil
    ~Born to Live - Mavrik~

Some of you guys sure do like to jump on the pop culture band wagon on the whole spiel on differences between men and women. How many of you even *know* what you're talking about?

I've been reading a few books on this stuff, notably research conducted by Michael Gurian. In my opinion, the answer is too ambiguous to be definitive. You can't simply just say men are more capable of spatial visualization and logic and that women in general favor the left brain. There are too many exceptions.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I'm sure you are trying to make an intelligent comment about my post, Vash. Not sure your point about Canada, tho. Canada is overall more consistent and progressive in approaches regarding human rights than the US, which is why we always rank in the top 5 UN Index for best countries to live in. No death penalty, gay marriage okay, social medicine, subsidized post-secondary education, that sort of thing.

We don't have a lot of feministas here, if that is what you mean. Any bras that are burned are b/c we are freezing cold up here, no other reason.
    ??

I am merely pointing out that the attitude you seem to be arguing against is pretty much a thing of the past, at least where I live. I am making allowances that it may be different where you live. As for the rest of your post... I don't really understand the relevance to the topic at hand.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    What I don't understand is this perceived 'inequality'. If the definition is a 'push for rights' of women = to men, then that implies an inequality.

But the data just doesn't support this anymore. Not here at least - middle east, Africa, China, hell yes, but I think the term feminist is just too pejorative for a lot of people here. I'm female and I would wonder about the need to label oneself publicly as 'feminist'. The idea is just weird. Do any guys here label themselves 'man-ist'. Does a child think of him/herself as 'childist'. Of course not. But my son would certainly say that every child, regardless of sex, race, etc, has certain basic rights.

I tend to avoid such labels. I am pro-equal rights (basic human rights) for everyone. As for the rest, I just don't see what women (or men) have to complain about. Sure, there are some very competitive women out there doing better than some men. And vice-versa, but that's how it goes in a meritocratic system. Suck it up. If you can't compete, perhaps you should be working at something different.

I dunno what this has to do with dating women, tho, Mish. This seems to have gone off topic somewhat, sorry.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by doppelgaenger View Post

I've been reading a few books on this stuff, notably research conducted by Michael Gurian. In my opinion, the answer is too ambiguous to be definitive. You can't simply just say men are more capable of spatial visualization and logic and that women in general favor the left brain. There are too many exceptions.
    Exactly. Which means, at the end of the day: develop in the areas you are strong. I agree with this. "Feminism" (which I admit I know almost nothing about) brings to mind bra-burning, pro-amazon, men-hating women who want to focus more on personal experience and feelings than what is reasonable. I even once read that a group of feminists called the scientific method 'predisposed to male-thinking'. LOL, which is completely ridiculous given its one of the more objective and unbiased ways of viewing the world. Perhaps that is what turned me off 'Feminism'. Mbe it needs to be rebranded to something softer and less antagonistic.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Quote Originally Posted by Frasbee View Post
    When all hell breaks loose, women will flock to men that can protect them, impregnate them, and get things done.
    Yes, Dr. Strangelove style, right?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iesXUFOlWC0"]YouTube - dr. strangelove - survival plan[/ame]

IndiReloaded says:

"I've always had the 'right'. But I acknowledge that my mother, aunt, and other female mentors in my life definitely paved the way for my use of them to be more 'socially acceptable'. So, lets have a National 'Remembering Feminism' Day, and be done with it. Marie Curie can be our mascot.

Strangely, when I run across it, it is women I find that are most threatened by other successful women. Not men. Women are often their own worst enemy when it comes to gender politics.

'Reasonable' is no longer crying that women are treated unfairly in our society. Its just not true. We've got control of our reproduction, we've got access to education, healthcare, jobs--just like men. The numbers of women coming out of university programs and in the workforce no longer support the argument that women are oppressed. Its like I said: gender politics is a 20th century concern. Women have the same career and workplace opportunities as men, provided they have the skill sets appropriate to that environment.

Viva meritocracy. Darwinian evolution applied to the sexes. Works for me."

I'm NeoSeminole, and I approve this message!

The radical feminist doesn't want peace, doesn't want meritocracy...they want power. So long as men sell out to radical feminists (usually, for sex), then they lose. The trick is to have nothing to do with the radical feminist. Nothing. Be pleasant, which will drive them crazy, and play the neutered male around them, only interested in preserving their freedom. If they come on to you, then the best thing to do is to pull back and remind them that it wouldn't be right for them to sell out to you....basically, be a passive-agressive.

Page 9 of 28 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast