+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Things I've pondered...

Things I've pondered...

After reading the thread with Nisha I started to look into a few IT related majors just out of curiosity and came out with a few questions and just wanted some opinions.

First, there is the generic computer science and engineering degree (CSE). It's similar to the computer science and liberal arts degree but it has a more engineering approach and seems to be the best degree for a general computer science entry level job. The average salary for 2007-2008 seemed to be around $55,000.

Second, there is an electrical and computer engineering degree (ECE). It is similar to the computer science and engineering degree but has a more detailed software and hardware approach. It seems to be more hands on regarding actual development of new technologies and the salary for 2007-2008 averaged around $56,000.

Third, there seems to be another degree that is more business related but still in the IT field. It's called management of information systems (MIS). It's basically a business degree with an IT focus. It teaches you how to work technology for the business. You plan business systems, etc.

Ultimately I've just been curious about career progression for them all. It would seem that the business major had the most room for growth as you could get your MBA with a technology core and grow to become a CTO or CIO in a corporation. The others have MS programs as well and the salary could very well jump into the $80-100k ranges. However, I assume that someone majoring in CSE or ECE could go to get their MBA with a technology core as well.

I want this to be a nice discussion so I'd appreciate replies. Whaqt does everyone think of the career prospects for all three options? What do the pros and cons appear to be? Know anyone in these fields?
    I don't chase, I replace.

Not going to college is never an option I'd consider.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonrisa View Post
    and you are completely right about, he didn't get a chance to do that, being from Russia, coming here late in his 20s. He does have a Bachelors from Russia in Arts though.
    He was definitely lucky to land that job. If he were to lose it he most likely would have an enormous drop in pay going elsewhere.

Actually it's very easy to land a job in the computer department. You just need to have experience and know what you are doing. I've made about $15,000 in total off of web design (and a bit of server management), and I haven't taken a single college course in computer science.

A very close cousin to me got a bachelor in computer engineering. He worked at some big company. He made a little less than $55,000, but he really hated his job, and frankly, he is too smart to be a tech staff. He went back to school and got a post graduate degree in civil engineering. Now he makes twice as much, and he goes on a lot of international trips for work. In fact, he will be here in Germany in a few days.

I've thought about getting my MBA and just doing that. But I've never been much of an ass kisser.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonrisa View Post
    sometimes experience can compensate for lack of education. He has years of experience with Toyota headquarters and Christie Digital - the company that provided the huge ass screens for the Olympics, the ones that went around the stadium.
    my roommate works as a programmer and he didn't even finish his degree. just his experience got him a job and he's really good and makes a lot of money.

he wants to retire at 40 and i tell you the guy is well on his way.
    baby ya hustle. but me i hustle harder.

My ex best friend majored in computer science of the engineer department. He is doing very well now.

A friend of mine has a degree in computer information of the business department. Currently he teaches others how to do computer work but he also wants to start a business in computers. Correctly he is not making great money in that (he makes great money in something else but that's beyond this topic LOL).
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best. ~ Marilyn Monroe

Quote Originally Posted by lesa View Post
    My ex best friend majored in computer science of the engineer department. He is doing very well now.

A friend of mine has a degree in computer information of the business department. Currently he teaches others how to do computer work but he also wants to start a business in computers. Correctly he is not making great money in that (he makes great money in something else but that's beyond this topic LOL).
    Are you saying that he has a liberal arts computer science degree or he has a business degree in information systems? From what I understand, a business degree in information systems is rather good. But then again... if you aren't very business minded you won't succeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Cain View Post
    Are you saying that he has a liberal arts computer science degree or he has a business degree in information systems? From what I understand, a business degree in information systems is rather good. But then again... if you aren't very business minded you won't succeed.
    Yes he has a business degree in information systems. He's not really using his degree right now except to do a little teaching. But he plans to use it in the future and I am sure he will do very well.

I have another friend (my best friend's husband) is working on a degree to be used for a career similar to computer information systems. The degree he is working on is in the liberal arts. The degree won't show computers anywhere but if I understand correctly, a lot of people go that route to get into a career in computers. I have no clue how successful that degree is. He's still in college.

Electrical engineering is really good too for that stuff (I was going to do that by pressures from family members). It depends on what do you want to do when dealing with computers.
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best. ~ Marilyn Monroe

Quote Originally Posted by lesa View Post

Wow, dyslexia is a serious disease LOL. I meant "Currently" NOT Correctly. He's not making money in the field because he is not using that degree.....yet. He is working to gather up the starting cost to open a business in computers. He's one of those people that want to retire young (in his 40's or 50's) and have his money work for him for the rest of his life rather than the other way around.

I have a few friends wanting to retire soon. I'm thinking about investing and doing the same!

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Mish will have input here, its his field, I think.

Like I said in another thread, all the engineers I know all make well into 6-digits now. I was roommates with 3 in college, and a couple of my relatives are also engineers.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Quote Originally Posted by IndiReloaded View Post
    Mish will have input here, its his field, I think.

Like I said in another thread, all the engineers I know all make well into 6-digits now. I was roommates with 3 in college, and a couple of my relatives are also engineers.
    But does the type of engineering matter?

I thought about majoring in computer science in engineering and then getting an MBA and tailoring my electives into a technology core before. I'd be making close to $100k right out of graduate school with the potential to make lots more.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    But does the type of engineering matter?
    Of course it does. Generally, the harder a subject & the better you are at it, the more in demand you will be.

One relative is an aerospace engineer. Think applied math & physics. He works for the military/government running a team that designs all kinds of scary stuff. He makes well over 300K and he's pretty young (40s). He did go back for a master's though.

The good thing about engineering is that you are employable right out of a 4 year degree. Just a couple years after that gaining experience to get your PEng, then you are on your way.

I've always really liked engineering, if I could do it again, I'd go that route instead of pure science. Its excellent for mindsets that like working with people, science and are business-minded. Plus, lots of retired engineers go on to do consulting work. Their skills are really marketable in a number of fields.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

In the US, the average salary of an aerospace engineer is about $87k per year. In comparison, the average salary of a computer hardware engineer is about $88k per year. The two highest engineer averages is nuclear at $90k per year and petroleum at $98k per year.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    LOL, I don't know your source for those numbers, but they aren't consistent with the folks I know. Of course, those numbers are averages. Are they for new grads, perhaps?

As always, if you want to get real info, you need to talk to real people. Go visit the local university and talk to guys in the engineering dept.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast