+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Price Equation

Price Equation

I saw a documentary yesterday which left a bitter after taste. It was on the price equation, a mathematical description of evolution and natural selection [url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Price_equation[/url] Love, kindness, empathy, altruism it explained aren't respect worthy human traits, but on the contrary reflections of a selfish human nature furthering survival of the species, easily calculable and foreseeable with a simple equation.
    Don't cry, don't regret and don't blame
    Weak find the whip, willing find freedom
    Towards the sun, carry your name
    In warm hands you are given
    Ask the wind for the way
    Uncertainty's gone, your path will unravel
    Accept all as it is and do not blame
    God or the Devil
    ~Born to Live - Mavrik~

Mean, mean monkeys. All of us.
    Spammer Spanker

I feel sorry for the kid studying things like this in the future. Learning that everything that's good and decent in life is a result of selfishness. Suddenly the good and the bad become each other's equals.
    Ask the wind for the way
    God or the Devil
    ~Born to Live - Mavrik~

Sanctuary approves of this message.

Well would you believe that there's no such thing as a truly altruistic act?

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Mish. Just b/c you can predict petals on a flower with a Fibonacci sequence doesn't make the flower any less pretty.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Quote Originally Posted by IndiReloaded View Post
    Mish. Just b/c you can predict petals on a flower with a Fibonacci sequence doesn't make the flower any less pretty.
    Maybe it's more to do with the language used in the documentary. I think they quoted (Hamilton?) saying that he wouldn't sacrifice his life for his brother, but he would for two brothers or eight cousins because using another equation he calculated this will have a high degree of reproduction potential of genes of same characteristic as his. He explained that altruism has nothing to do with actually caring for people, but ensuring replication of one's genes. I strongly disagree with that conclusion, but I'm not a biologist so who am I to argue.
    Ask the wind for the way
    God or the Devil
    ~Born to Live - Mavrik~

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    This isn't a new idea, Mish, just the attempt to quantify. Which, in science, means somebody's funding is on the line and they are trying to make their 'scientific mark'.

There's a whole lot of people applying combinatorics to all sorts of biologic questions. Bioinformatics is a 'hot field' these days. Its not quite the same as what you post, but its related. While its not meaningless, its what I said about Fibonacci & Flowers. Read about Dawkins Selfish Gene from the 70s. If still interested, most libraries will carry the book. These things are just an attempt to explain certain things about evolution, its not meant to be a commentary on morals.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

U + ME = Us. Calculus and Basic Addition.

Quote Originally Posted by IndiReloaded View Post
    Read about Dawkins Selfish Gene from the 70s. If still interested, most libraries will carry the book.
    The Selfish Gene is one of my favorite books of all time and imma finish before Kanye West stops me.

Quote Originally Posted by CocoChanel
    U + ME = Us. Calculus and Basic Addition.
    No, that's basic arithmetic.

Calculus would be "I wish I was your derivative so I could lie tangent to all your curves."

There's also trigonometry - "I wish I was sin²ø and you were cos²ø so that together we could be 1."

I'm a nerd!

What exactly do math nerds know about love?

Quote Originally Posted by doppelgaenger View Post
    What exactly do math nerds know about love?
    An ad hominem argument against evolutionary biologists does nothing to establish your claim.

In other words, **** you.

It wasn't an argument, but a serious inquiry; what exactly do math nerds know about love, outside of their little formulae?

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I always liked this one:

Mathematician: 3 is a prime, 5 is a prime, 7 is a prime, and by induction - every odd integer higher than 2 is a prime. (Oops)

Physicist: 3 is a prime, 5 is a prime, 7 is a prime, 9 is an experimental error, 11 is a prime,...

Engineer: 3 is a prime, 5 is a prime, 7 is a prime, 9 is a prime, 11 is a prime,...

Programmer: 3 is a prime, 5 is a prime, 7 is a prime, 7 is a prime, 7 is a prime,...

Computer Software Salesperson: 3 is prime, 5 is prime, 7 is prime, 9 will be prime in the next release,...

Finance company CEO: 3 is a prime, 5 is a prime, 7 is a prime, 11 is a prime,...

Lawyer: 3 is a prime, 5 is a prime, 7 is a prime, 9 -- there is not enough evidence to prove that it is not a prime,...

Professor: 3 is prime, 5 is prime, 7 is prime, and the rest are left as an exercise for the student.

--Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Quote Originally Posted by doppelgaenger View Post
    It wasn't an argument, but a serious inquiry; what exactly do math nerds know about love, outside of their little formulae?
    Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by IndiReloaded
    Lawyer: 3 is a prime, 5 is a prime, 7 is a prime, 9 -- there is not enough evidence to prove that it is not a prime,...
    lol don't like your depiction of lawyers.

Lawyer: 3 is a prime, 5 is a prime, 7 is a prime, 9 -- it is in the greater interest of society that we alter the definition of a prime to accommodate numbers like 9

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast