Thread: who sings this?

who sings this?

Said I heard it through the grapevine... Old school
    Sometimes I worry about being a success in a mediocre world

-Lily Tomlin

Marvin Gaye

Quote Originally Posted by Rollerderby View Post
    Said I heard it through the grapevine... Old school
    If you expected a simple answer to this question, I will have to disappoint you.

There's quite a story to this song, so be patient while reading:

"I Heard It Through the Grapevine" is a landmark song in the history of Motown Records. Written by Norman Whitfield and Barrett Strong in 1966, the single was first recorded by The Miracles.

Released on September 25, 1967 as Soul 35039 by Gladys Knight & the Pips, who recorded the third or (possibly) fourth version of the song, it has since become a signature song, however, for singer Marvin Gaye, who recorded the second or (possibly) third version of the song prior to the Pips' version but released the song after theirs on October 30, 1968 as Tamla 54176.

The uncertainty about who recorded the second version is because it has been often said that the The Isley Brothers recorded the song, but there is no evidence that they ever did, and some Motown historians or enthusiasts believe that a session may have been scheduled but canceled.

Gaye's version has since become a landmark in pop music. #80 on Rolling Stone's list of The 500 Greatest Songs of All Time. Gaye's version also listed at #65 on Billboard's Greatest Songs of All Time. It was also inducted to the Grammy Hall of Fame for "historical, artistic and significant" value.

Following Marvin Gaye's 1968 release of the single, his version has been frequently covered by artists of varied genres. In 1969, Whitfield produced a version for The Temptations for their hit album, Puzzle People though their version recalled The Pips'. In 1971, The Undisputed Truth became the final Motown act to record the song in its Marvin-styled version.

Creedence Clearwater Revival recorded an eleven-minute version for their album, Cosmo's Factory, released in 1970. Other versions have been recorded in other genres such as punk rock where the UK-based The Slits recorded a heavily dub version as a b-side of their first single recording it in the Marvin Gaye version. Other groups such as Tuxedomoon, The Crust Brothers and the disco band, P'Zzazz, featuring Mildred Vancy on vocals, also recorded the song.

In 1981, funk musician Roger Troutman, released a cover of the song, in an extended version, off his debut solo project, The Many Facets of Roger. Troutman's version brought the song back to number-one on the R&B charts in early 1982 marking the third time the single reached the top spot on that chart. Roger's version of the song also made the Hot 100, peaking at number 79.

In 1986, several studio singers re-recorded the song and featured it in a commercial for the clay-animated singing group The California Raisins. Their version became their signature tune, mainly due to a pun on the fact that raisins originate from "the grapevine."

Other artists to have recorded the song have included Trini Lopez, the Soultans and the Flying Pickets, the Doug Anthony All Stars, Giorgia, Marisa Monte, The Kaiser Chiefs, Michael Chapdelaine, Paul Weller and Amy Winehouse in a duet version while performing on Jools Holland, The Robustos, Tina Turner, Elton John, Diana DeGarmo, Michael McDonald, and Fairport Convention in a live version with vocals by Richard Thompson.
    Last edited by Yggdrasil; 02-06-09 at 09:29 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Marvin Gaye for the win.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0JKEjL68_M"]YouTube - Marvin Gaye-I heard through the grapevine[/ame]

don't you know i heeeeeeeeeeeeeard it through the grapevine
    not much looooooooooonger would you be mine
    i heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeard it through the grapevine
    and i'm just about to looooooooooooooooose my mind honey honey yeah
    baby ya hustle. but me i hustle harder.

I thought it was some fruit from California