+ Follow This Topic

Thread: my little cousin has a crush on me...

my little cousin has a crush on me...

...how do I make it stop? My 8 year old cousin came over to visit a couple of weeks ago and I thought I was off the hook but she and my aunt will be returning soon, possibly to stay because her mom is finding work here. I would be able to ignore it if she'd leave me alone but she doesn't! She's always trying to cuddle and kiss me and calls me her 'boyfriend' to my face and is always drawing me and giving me stuff. She doesn't know any better but for some reason the parents (hers AND mine) think it's cute or hilarious, so they won't do anything about it but it makes me very uncomfortable and probably they're encouraging it. They even let her sleep with me once because she "had a nightmare" (I don't believe she did though).
    I really don't know if I can take another month or more of trying to avoid her. But I don't really want to hurt her feelings either. This just makes me feel very uncomfortable when she's around me and it has to stop. I even tried introducing her to the kid across the street but she didn't seem interested. No matter how firmly I tell her I'm too big to be her boyfriend (not to mention we're related), she'll either ignore me or throw a fit and try to bite me, which has happened about twice now.

Actually I think that's normal behavior... my cousin once said she was going to marry me when she was about that age. Just ignore it.

Just ignore it. If it is making you uncomfortable it's the responsibility of her parents to set boundaries. Raise your concerns with them.

This isn't a big deal. She's just a kid. Next week she will have a crush on the new guy in class.

LOL...I'd think it was cute.

My little five year old niece has a huge crush on my youngest sisters bf and he's 17. He just laughs about it.

but it makes me very uncomfortable and probably they're encouraging it. They even let her sleep with me once because she "had a nightmare" (I don't believe she did though).
    Oh man, listen to yourself....are you SERIOUS!!!

Why the heck would they encourage their 8 year old daughter and with a grown man?? LOL

And at 8 years old I doubt she'd be thinking 'OOooh let's pretend to have a nightmare so I can get into bed with him'...

Honestly...you need to chill a bit.

This isn't a big deal. She's just a kid. Next week she will have a crush on the new guy in class.
    Yeah I hope so. This lasted a month already so hopefully its almost over.

Why the heck would they encourage their 8 year old daughter and with a grown man?? LOL
    I see what you're saying but I didn't mean it that way. I meant them thinking its cute and all gives her more incentive to act that way because it gets attention.
    & I'm not a grown man, I'm 15. lol. I'm not old.

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse_Clark View Post

I see what you're saying but I didn't mean it that way. I meant them thinking its cute and all gives her more incentive to act that way because it gets attention.
    & I'm not a grown man, I'm 15. lol. I'm not old.
    I assumed you were not very old, probably teens - figured I'd call you a grown man and because I'd assumed around 19 maybe....and most 19 year olds would have been offended if I hadn't said grown man, lol

She will grow out of it....kids do.