+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Age difference

Age difference

There is a girl who I know who has long term potential, and I was thinking of dating her. I am almost positive that she likes me, too. The only problem is that I'm 24 and she is 30. As far as long term thinking is concerned, would this be a good idea or not? If there is no long term potential as far as kids and all of that, I don't want to lead her on. She has not been treated well by past boyfriends, and I don't want to make things worse.

I think it depends on where you are at in life ... not as much as the age. Six years is not that much of a difference. I wouldn't let that get in the way. It's not really the age, it's the compatibility and what each of you want.

Be aware that once women turn thirty they often start to consider having children within the next few years. That means taking on a more serious relationship if they aren't already in one. Of course, some people don't want kids. That's something that should be discussed with her or at least find out what her thoughts are.

At 24 you may not be ready to settle down or consider a family (if that's her dream) in the next 5-10 years. You really need to know what you'd be comfortable with in the near future. Are you mature enough, financially stable, etc.?

It really comes down to whether you are both at the same point in life and have common goals, lifestyles, views of money, family, etc. It takes a lot more than chemistry and having fun together to make things work.

I agree with nimrod44.

Age difference doesn't matter much if there's a reall connection, but you should ask her if she wants kids in her life. If she does she'll probably want to have them relatively soon (as women get older it becomes more dangerous for them to have children and there are more risks of pregnancy complications). So if you have no intention/want to have kids with her, then it wouldn't be fair to her to get into a serious relationship that would take away the years where she could have the healthiest pregnancy. And if she doesn't want to have kids (or maybe she wants to adopt later in life?) then go for it. A 6 year difference shouldn't be the only thing keeping two people who care about each other apart. My parents have an 11 year difference in age, and they've been together almost 30 years now.

bluesummer is offline Whatever.
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I'm 30, and I would consider a 24 year old on a completely different life path than me. I have friends who are 24, and they're still getting drunk on the weekends and figuring themselves out as people. I got over that awhile ago.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. - Mohandas Gandhi

It's not that huge of an age gap I don't think. However saying that, at 30 I wouldn't have considered a 24 year old guy and at 30 I sure as heck wouldn't have been having anymore kids to a 24 year old, or any aged guy for that matter, lol

With me I don't think it's the age that puts me off, it's the fact that I prefer the mature face of an older guy.