+ Follow This Topic

Thread: ubuntu studio

anachronistic Guest

ubuntu studio

for those of you who are interested in giving linux a try, ubuntu is great. infact, out of all the linux distros i have tried, i believe ubuntu is the best.

you can make it look any way you want. if you want it to look like windows or OSX, you can, but ubuntu's default environment, GNOME, looks better than both of them to me.

one of the biggest reasons i see people hangin' onto windows and OSX is all the programs that are made for them. you can use those programs through a program called wine, if you really need them. and even if that doesn't satisfy you, you can mount your windows partition, and have read/write access to all the files!

you don't have to just trash your windows/OX partition either. you can have a dual boot system... which means you can choose which operating system to boot from.

-----------------------------------------------

ANYHOW............

that's not what this thread is about. that's just a few pieces of information you should all know!

i've done some research on different makes of ubuntu... i found edubuntu (no idea what that is), kubuntu (uses KDE instead of GNOME), xubuntu (has really low system requirements, like pre2k), and all sorts of other ones... but there was one that caught my eye: ubuntu studio.

ubuntu studio is a version of ubuntu designed for people who want to edit multimedia. it's free (like all other ubuntus) and it comes with a bunch of free software *surprise* that is very similar to expensive programs that many users pay for already. the programs it comes with have high quality audio editor/mixers/all that jazz (looks quite like audacity, might be alot better, however), 2d editing programs similar to the adobe cs suite, a nice web design program similar to dreamweaver, high quality movie editors with special effects, 3d programs, flash programs, and many other types of media programs.

i am very intrigued about many of these programs, as i never knew they existed. i knew of a few, which come with the regular ubuntu distro, but there are so many useful programs. users can also save files that are compatible with photoshop and other programs, too!

it's only available for i386 processors right now, though i imagine it will be available for others very soon... and if you didn't know, i386 is basically a class of processors that include only amd and intel. which means any mac with a powerpc is ****ed and can't use ubuntu studio... but regular ubuntu is available for all.

i'm downloading ubuntu studio as i'm typing this. the download is already halfway done, and it's been two hours.

if you have any questions about linux, operating systems, or computers in general, feel free to ask them here. i'd like to cover questions about ubuntu too!

you can also pm me if you do not wish to post. thanks

Gribble is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I got a question for ya. I'm all ready dual-booting. I have a hard drive with XP (which I use exclusively) and another with Vista. Can I triple boot?

anachronistic Guest
    yess, you can triple boot. do you have any unpartitioned space? how many hard drives?

what os do you want to add?

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    No, no unpartitioned space. I have two HDs. A 7200 RPM 250gig drive and a 10000RPM 79gig.

Ubuntu

anachronistic Guest
    okay, the hard disk size shouldn't be a problem LOL. if you're going to use ubuntu primarily you'll want to use the bigger hard drive so that you're not depending on mounted windows drives.

go to ubuntu.org and get the right distro for your processor. you'll want edgy, because it has the longest support. edgy is 6.10.

burn the iso to a cd rom and boot from the disk... TIP: burn at 8x. the more accurate the less times you'll be reburning a disk. if nothing comes up, you'll have to burn it again.

go to the install option and it will send you to a live version of ubuntu off the disk. click the install icon on the desktop and it will step you through. DO NOT DELETE ANY OF THE PARTITIONS. oh, and if you're cautious about accidently deleting your data, make sure you back it up.

you'll come to a step when it asks you about partitioned space. you'll want to adjust the empty space on the larger partition and change it into unpartitioned space. ubuntu will be installed to that space. the majority of the installation is very easy and basic, you'll be able to handle it. i suggest you only adjust the empty space to about 50%.

hahaha the sponsored link on this page is an ad for cheap college text books.. how ironic lol

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by lilwing View Post
    hahaha the sponsored link on this page is an ad for cheap college text books.. how ironic lol
    I think there's an algorithm that tries to match ads with what's being discussed. I noticed when Frasbee was talking about the paper cut on his eye there was an ad for an optometrist. I got a kick out of that.

Anyway, thanks for the info.

anachronistic Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Gribble View Post
    I think there's an algorithm that tries to match ads with what's being discussed. I noticed when Frasbee was talking about the paper cut on his eye there was an ad for an optometrist. I got a kick out of that.

Anyway, thanks for the info.
    i heart algorithms. they make me laugh.

no problem, if you have any more questions don't be afraid to ask.