+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Grieving Partner, What Should I Do?

Grieving Partner, What Should I Do?

Hey everybody, I just found this site and I think it's such a great idea...I'm hoping to find some good insight here. I've been with my boyfriend for about 9 months. We have had some hard times for a few reasons. I'm 26 and he's 39 and my relationship experience has been pretty limited. He was in an 11 year relationship that went bad (really bad), so we have each had some issues to get through...the good news is that we have been important enough to each other that it's been worth trying to work through. When he was in the last relationship, he adopted 3 dogs, 2 of which he had lost by the time I met him. He had to put the 3rd down this past Tuesday (four days ago). This dog was his world, the one thing that was consistently there for him when nothing (or no one) else was. Needless to say, he's grieving pretty heavily. I knew this was coming so we talked a few weeks ago about how he best deals with things like this...he was very clear in saying that he needs space when he's grieving someone/something. I have tried to be very conscious of his need for alone time since he put her down, and we have not seen each other since it happened (I obviously offered to be with him but he said he needed to be alone). We have talked a few times on the phone and I offered earlier this afternoon to bring him/cook him/take him out for dinner tomorrow...he said he wasn't sure and that we could talk about it tonight, but today he felt like being alone. I'm getting so much disputed feedback from people on the situation...some say they can completely understand what he must be going through and to give him time and space...others say they don't understand it because they would want their partner to be with them. I don't want to add to his stress by questioning if this loss has affected what he feels he's capable of with regards to our relationship, but I'm having trouble figuring out if this is something I should be concerned about. If not right now, at what point should I worry that we haven't gotten together (a week, 2 weeks, longer)? Sorry for the long post but any advice would be much appreciated.

Why should you guess about his intentions? I think if he is avoiding all interaction with you after a week or so, you should just ask him if he would prefer you not contact him anymore.

People grieve in different ways. Some take it harder than others and may need longer time.
    Ive known people who have grieve for a month.

I wouldnt be too pushy about it. Just wait it out abit.
    I want a girl who likes to talk. ......I just dont know what to say sometimes and would rather just listen.

Don't get to the point where you lose yourself. Take care of yourself first.