+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you have a savings account?

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"

Do you have a savings account?

And have you been depositing into it regularly?

Or do you have any CD's? Or stocks?

I have mutual funds ... pretty much all in the money markets right now ... I am not in an appreciation mode, but a conservation mode. If it pays any better than my mattress, it's a good investment. I got out of equities last summer when it was obvious that panic was starting to set in and the Dow was still over 10,000!!! I'm beginning to think that it may be time to go back in and eventually profit on all the panic and stupidity. I have lots of CDs ... mostly Classical and 70s rock.

Carl.

I am a bit of a money hoarder... so I have a savings account and I put one of my two paychecks in it biweekly. I also have a CD that I plan on using to buy a house once I'm out of school. And I have an old fashioned piggy bank that I collect change and $1 bills in and every $100, I put it into the savings account. Just a college student trying to have a future. :-)

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    My girlfriend and I have a jar that we put all our change in, but we exchange it for cash so we can use it to do something cool with, or just go out somewhere nice for dinner.

Quote Originally Posted by cewzp4 View Post
    I am a bit of a money hoarder... so I have a savings account and I put one of my two paychecks in it biweekly. I also have a CD that I plan on using to buy a house once I'm out of school. And I have an old fashioned piggy bank that I collect change and $1 bills in and every $100, I put it into the savings account. Just a college student trying to have a future. :-)

You're a better man than I ... in college, I invested in beer and motorcycles!

Quote Originally Posted by carl1222 View Post
    You're a better man than I ... in college, I invested in beer and motorcycles!
    I think you mean woman. :-) but i tend to use my other paycheck for fun stuff (when I have time for that). My mom raised me to tuck money away and pretend that it doesn't exist. It took me 18 years to finally listen to her, so I've now had 3 years of practice.

Quote Originally Posted by Frasbee View Post
    My girlfriend and I have a jar that we put all our change in, but we exchange it for cash so we can use it to do something cool with, or just go out somewhere nice for dinner.
    Aw, that sounds like fun.

Yeah, I do the same, Fras ... I go to the supermarket and run it through their change counting machine ... I'd rather pay 8% than to count and roll pennies, nickels and dimes. I reserve the quarters for tolls and vending machines.

Carl.

I have been slowly setting aside money in a savings account... would rather eat ramen noodles for a few months than take money from it... and so far such a mentality has helped.

I use the IRS as a 'bank account' as well.. have them withhold an additional amount, then at the end of the year I deposit that into the ongoing savings account.

Also, I'm forgetful as hell about cash... found $50 the other day I didn't even remember...

As far as investments are concerned... I would need to study up a bit more on that before I take a gamble on it.
    "The weakest soul, knowing its own weakness, and believing this truth that strength can only be developed by effort and practice, will, thus believing, at once begin to exert itself, and, adding effort to effort, patience to patience, and strength to strength, will never cease to develop, and will at last grow divinely strong."

- James Allen

i have some money in a 401k i got from my last job. and i have a change jar. i save change like a mf. i use it for when times are tough, you know?

but i definitely should save more. anyone wanna help?
    baby ya hustle. but me i hustle harder.

Quote Originally Posted by misombra View Post
    i have some money in a 401k i got from my last job. and i have a change jar. i save change like a mf. i use it for when times are tough, you know?

but i definitely should save more. anyone wanna help?
    Tying paypal with a bank account seems to help me... I don't view paypal as 'real'.. so I tend to forget about the money I transfer to it.

You could give that a try?
    "The weakest soul, knowing its own weakness, and believing this truth that strength can only be developed by effort and practice, will, thus believing, at once begin to exert itself, and, adding effort to effort, patience to patience, and strength to strength, will never cease to develop, and will at last grow divinely strong."

- James Allen

Illusional is offline different state of mind
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    i have it all!! and they all took a lose due to the economic crisis.

raverboy
    ...this is just my perspective on the situation...

Quote Originally Posted by Illusional View Post
    i have it all!! and they all took a lose due to the economic crisis.

raverboy
    same here, lost 2k in september and transferred all to money market as soon as it happened. so far just dumping everything into a savings account.
    The male is a domestic animal which, if treated with firmness, can be trained to do most things

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeradalia View Post
    I use the IRS as a 'bank account' as well
    Oh, yeah?

How much interest do you get on all that money they're borrowing from you?

Oh, yeah?

How much interest do you get on all that money they're borrowing from you?
    I look at is like this Frasbee... how much do I have when I'm not there to spend it? It's a fail safe in case I break down and do spend money from the savings account.

At the end of the year the money from the IRS goes into a real savings account to accrue interest.

It's just another strategy to save money from a different angle. I'm a firm believer in redundancy... especially when it involves money. If shit hits the fan and I have to empty my bank account... come the end of the year, I still have additional funds via the IRS to help me start over.

- James Allen

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast