+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Contacting Old Friends

Contacting Old Friends

Is it ever a good idea to try to reconnect with old friends?

If so, when's the cut-off time... a year? 10 years?

Today I'm feeling nostalgic... realizing all the progress I've made. It'd kind of be nice to call some old friends up and let them know I made it... you know?
    "The weakest soul, knowing its own weakness, and believing this truth that strength can only be developed by effort and practice, will, thus believing, at once begin to exert itself, and, adding effort to effort, patience to patience, and strength to strength, will never cease to develop, and will at last grow divinely strong."

- James Allen

i think it would depend on how things were when you lost contact. was it on good terms? i've contacted people from the past on fb and myspace and have generally regretted it.
    baby ya hustle. but me i hustle harder.

Illusional is offline different state of mind
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    FB them and start chatting that way. that's why i do.

raverboy
    ...this is just my perspective on the situation...

I don't think it would be such a good idea to contact old friends, especially considering the shape I'm in. Yes, I'm still here, but I can't really say I've made much of myself yet.

Besides, it's unhealthy to compare yourself to others... if they were curious about me they would've tried to reconnect many times over the years. I am but a distant memory.
    "The weakest soul, knowing its own weakness, and believing this truth that strength can only be developed by effort and practice, will, thus believing, at once begin to exert itself, and, adding effort to effort, patience to patience, and strength to strength, will never cease to develop, and will at last grow divinely strong."

- James Allen

If its someone you used to really enjoy in your life then go for it. Like someone said, find them on FB maybe. If they possibly morphed into an unworthy turd then its easy to brush them off. You don't have to become best friends over night but it can be fun to talk about the good old times.
    So, so you think you can tell Heaven from Hell,
    blue skies from pain.
    Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail?
    A smile from a veil?
    Do you think you can tell?
    And did they get you to trade your heroes for ghosts?
    Hot ashes for trees?
    Hot air for a cool breeze?
    Cold comfort for change?
    And did you exchange a walk on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?

I enjoy connecting with old friends but that's because I'm in a pretty good place in my life. I wouldn't do it if I were feeling sketchy.
    Spammer Spanker

Quote Originally Posted by Aeradalia View Post
    I don't think it would be such a good idea to contact old friends, especially considering the shape I'm in. Yes, I'm still here, but I can't really say I've made much of myself yet.

Besides, it's unhealthy to compare yourself to others... if they were curious about me they would've tried to reconnect many times over the years. I am but a distant memory.
    personally i don:t see why you have to be so negative. you don:t call old friends to bring up the negative parts of the past. you call them up to see how good things are and how far you:ve come.

raverboy
    ...this is just my perspective on the situation...

Class reunions would be a great place to connect, then not have to for another 5-10 years.

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I never understood why people want to go to class reunions. I hated high school, and the reason i didn't keep in touch with those people is because i didn't even really like them all that much, even then.

It seems like the people who like to attend those reunions are either the ones who were so popular, they never got over their high school success (former football players, now sporting a big fat beer belly, or former cheerleaders) or the nerdy people that were picked on who want to show how well they turned out. Of course, I wouldn't know who goes, since I don't.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

Haven't been to one yet, but considering it in another 10 years purely for the drama aspect. Who married who then got caught with a milking stool in a paddock full of heffers type thing. My school had all types.

Quote Originally Posted by Raverboy808 View Post
    personally i don:t see why you have to be so negative. you don:t call old friends to bring up the negative parts of the past. you call them up to see how good things are and how far you:ve come.

raverboy
    It's when you get to the "how far you've come" part that gets negative. I have a lot of effort but no results in life.

The bottom line seems to matter to me for some reason... I could care less about the journey.

- James Allen

Aera, the journey takers have a lot of fun but don't care so much about the end result.

Bottom liners don't take as many risks but can end up questioning what the point of it all is at destination's end.

Question.. If you had to cross a border and were faced with jumping into two options.

1. Modernly appointed but sterile mini-bus with a semi modest fee.

2. 8 unwashed locals in the backseat of a rusty Cadillac playing homegrown accordion rap and their mohawk shaved goat on your lap (for half the mini-bus fee).

Which would you take and why?

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Durian View Post
    Aera, the journey takers have a lot of fun but don't care so much about the end result.

Bottom liners don't take as many risks but can end up questioning what the point of it all is at destination's end.

Question.. If you had to cross a border and were faced with jumping into two options.

1. Modernly appointed but sterile mini-bus with a semi modest fee.

2. 8 unwashed locals in the backseat of a rusty Cadillac playing homegrown accordion rap and their mohawk shaved goat on your lap (for half the mini-bus fee).

Which would you take and why?
    My personality type is obvious... I'd pay more for a sure thing... the mini-bus offers more security that I'll get where I want to go.

Life keeps pulling me back into situations more akin to what was mentioned in number two.

Edited to add:

However, I have noticed a subtle shift in my personality since I've undergone therapy that would suggest the latter option -- the more exciting one.

I have yet to discern if I'm merely taking on a role or if that is how I really am (yay... a search for me kind of thing... )

At the very least, I guess I have more stories to tell.
    Last edited by Aeradalia; 16-03-10 at 06:31 AM.

- James Allen

That's the ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by vashti View Post
    I never understood why people want to go to class reunions. I hated high school, and the reason i didn't keep in touch with those people is because i didn't even really like them all that much, even then.

It seems like the people who like to attend those reunions are either the ones who were so popular, they never got over their high school success (former football players, now sporting a big fat beer belly, or former cheerleaders) or the nerdy people that were picked on who want to show how well they turned out. Of course, I wouldn't know who goes, since I don't.
    I don't really fit into either one of those categories, but I liked my high school reunion because I really enjoyed talking to some of the people I hadn't seen in ages. I didn't hate high school. I hated going home after school.
    Spammer Spanker

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast