+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Is he serious about marriage?

Is he serious about marriage?

My boyfriend has many times alluded to us getting married. In the beginning of our relationship he stated, "I will marry you right now!" during a confrontation. Later that year at Christmas he gave me a ring pop as a "gag gift"-not funny to me. Months later he told me that he would have proposed a while ago if I liked a ring that he could afford. That turned out to be a lie. Most recently he told me that he wanted us to get engaged within the year. However, I did not take too much of it to heart because I was not ready to commit to marriage myself. But, now I am ready. Our two year anniversary is approaching and before we got serious, I told him that I wouldn't date anyone more than three years without a wedding date. Thus I would like to get engaged within 12 months as well. However, I'm not sure if he will intend to actually propose since he said such benign comments in the past. Does he want to marry me? Or is he just giving me loads of bull?

side note* everytime he mentioned a "marriage" comment in the past, I never initiated the conversation once! he always brought it up himself.

Sounds like it's time for you to bring the issue up.

Just one thing...

Do you want to marry HIM? Or do you just want to get married? Very different things you know.

I really want to marry him. I've always loved him and wanted to be with him. He was more serious in the beginning and even asked me to move with him in the first couple months of dating. I declined bc I hardly knew him. I feel now it is time to close the deal. Can anyone else shed some light?

He started putting up defenses when you weren't as serious as he was, would be my guess.

Note that I said GUESS. You'll have to talk to him if you really want to know.

well that makes total sense. hmmm, i know i have to talk to him...but it isnt the best timing. any ways to let him know in a subtle way that i am ready?

If you wait for the right time you'll die waiting. If you seiously think you could be married to this guy you ought to at least be able to talk to him.

Or if you want to be silly about it you could start reading bridal zines around him. LOL

lol good one!

ps i just talked with him and he said he can see us engaged by august....

Well done!