+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Snow Boarding!

Snow Boarding!

It's been supposedly snowing throughout the week in Tahoe so we're heading up there for the weekend and hopefully another time before the season ends

I'm still debating on purchasing my own boots - board - bindings...
    I've been renting them for the most part and now I'm feeling the urge to "graduate"

I like the solomon boots but i heard the burton are not as stiff and better for the beginner/intermediate crowds. Most people have said a board is a board, and I don't know much about the bindings.

Anyone have any experience in this stuff?

I have some (I also love snowboarding)

Keep renting. Until about april/may. That's when stuff will go on sale because they need to make room for the new year's line of boards. I got my board at 45% off. Bindings 30% off. Total package about $370 for what ORIGINALLY should have been $630. I got a pro board and pro bindings. I didn't get boots cause they weren't on sale (the shop I went to already had the new line of boots in and gotten rid of their old stock). So right now whenever I go I either borrow boots or rent them for ten bucks.

Stick to big name equipment. I personally would probably only look at K2 and Burton. Also (I don't know your size, whether you're a chick or not), but if you're small and slight, look at the high level kids boards. It'll fit, and it's great stuff, and will be cheaper.

Find a small store and have them help you choose a board. Don't mention a spending limit or anything, just ask them what'll fit you the best. And the boots are the most important. Make sure they fit tight and there isn't play in the heel of the boot.

Finally, I vote for strap in bindings rather than step in. Yeah it's a little extra work, but I trust them more.

Alexi

Tri City seemed to have a pretty decent sale like 40% off...
    I saw the K2 bindings...

But.. damn, some of the boards are listed as $600 originally...

Did you get a freestyle or freeboard (i think that was what is was called)

I actually ended up with a Burton Balance (originally 470, I got it for about 250). Yeah. Pro boards ARE expensive. But you take care of them, and they'll last a long time. AT LEAST three years or so. And technology doesn't improve VASTLY in a short amount of time so it won't be obsolete in a few years. Also, mountains don't change so if the board is good enough to go down the mountain this year, I'm thinking in three years, it'll be just as good.

So don't think of it as 600 dollars, think of it as 200 per year (provided you only have a board for three years. You can easily keep it longer if you want)

Alexi

PS - 2005 boards are out right now which is why this Tri City place has that sale right now.

[EDIT] = Forgot to mention that my board is actually a halfpipe board. Perfectly symmetrical on both ends so I can ride normal or fakie. Very stiff too. I don't do halfpipe, but it goes anywhere I want to go on the mountain. Also, my board is very long for a person of my height, but I need it that way because I weigh a lot more than the average person my height (so I needed to board to be able to function properly with my WEIGHT, not my size)
    Last edited by sfalexi; 18-02-05 at 02:38 AM.

WHATS UP! Fellow snowboarder... what can I help you with?
    Alexi is right about a few things..

Burtons are great for new and experienced riders... DO NOT buy your own stuff until you have had a chance to figure out what size you want to ride. Believe it or not.. SIZE MATTERS when it comes to Snowboards. Big names brands arent everything. K2 make better skies then boards.... I would look into Forum, and RIde as well.. These boards are made for intermediates and beginers.
    Not sure what you are really looking for...

Twin Tip, Free Style, Carving.. half pipe.. cruisers... what are you looking to do?
    "Remember always, that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one."
    - - Eleanor Roosevelt
    " It's not who we are that holds us back, it's who we think we're not."
    - - Michael Nolan
    "...to love and lose, is better than not to love at all..." .... Lord, whats his name....
    " The world is big... I want to see all of it before it gets dark." -- John Muir

I'm still near begining/intermediate.. I can get down the hill flip flopping down now lol..
    Half pipes are a little bit advanced for me.. I'm just looking to eventually get there but I'm still trying to get over the fear of trees .... long story ....

I'll prolly end up still renting till the season's over..
    What I'm looking for? Easy! Not to end up in one of those little sleds that ppl drag down the slopes to the first aid station

Should be fun this weekend, it's supposedly snowed quite a bit this week
    I'll take a look for forum and ride boards when I'm up there...
    Will let you know if it was an ssx excursion or crazy taxi one...

Lord I f**king love snowboarding!!!! 0o0o0oo0! I have a picture in my gallery if ya wanna see it :p I don't always land em, but its fun none the less.

Shame Ohio isn't that great for the sport lol. I hate the artifical stuff too, its not nearly as good as real snow. That includes traction, cutting, even landings feel a little different. Then again, that may just be me haha.

My New Car!! [URL=http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2058343]Cardomain![/URL]

"Be Mindful of The Future, But Not At The Expense of The Moment"

"Life is the art of drawing without an eraser"

California is the place to be.. You got the summers, the sun.... the temperate climates... Then drive 3 or so hrs up to Tahoe for the snow and back over to reno for some gambling after getting banged up!

Only pictures of snowboarding are ones where I seem to always land on me arse, and those are hidden never to see the light of day, or the one with the tree

YOU KNOW IT!

I will be in Mammouth on Feb 27 for a week! WAHOOOO!!! Cant wait.. one week of fun in the snow and sun! cali is it .. but Tahoe .. well.. it rocks too.
    "Remember always, that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one."
    - - Eleanor Roosevelt
    - - Michael Nolan
    "...to love and lose, is better than not to love at all..." .... Lord, whats his name....
    " The world is big... I want to see all of it before it gets dark." -- John Muir

What's Mammouth o.O
    Snowboarding was a huge blast...
    I finally found out that I use a normal board, but ride it goofy... if that really makes any sense...
    Was on a K2 board most of the time which felt really nice, but they didn't have any other boards around my height

A question!
    When you're going down like a cannonball, how do those people slow down why still going relatively straight? I have to spin the board slightly sideways and start leaf to slow down...

For anyone thinking of snowboard... I would definitely recommend trying it out!

Quote Originally Posted by Jenrick285
    What's Mammouth o.O

A question!
    When you're going down like a cannonball, how do those people slow down why still going relatively straight? I have to spin the board slightly sideways and start leaf to slow down...

For anyone thinking of snowboard... I would definitely recommend trying it out!
    Mammoth Mountain... its in Cali...

And to answer your question...
    When your going really fast down hill.. its the positioning of your body weight... see.. its all about the center of grafity.. the more weight you put forward ... the faster you'll go.. the more wieght your put backward you "should" slow down.. now .. I say should because it all depends on the conditions of the snow. Powder .. you want to lay more on the back of your board. Your wieght should shift back to keep the boards nose above the snow. ( it helps for balance) ..
    Your a goofy rider... right on. Were you on a K2 Dart by any chance? What size board were you riding?
    - - Eleanor Roosevelt
    - - Michael Nolan

No clue about the K2 dart, but the first board was pretty stiff, the next one I got (k2 as well) and it seemed it was "softer" on the control side... Or I just had one too many red bulls...

I ride a 155... Big/small/No clue, but it fits
    Season's almost over so we're heading up again this weekend, hopefully I'll get to try out my other buddy's board and decide on one next season