+ Follow This Topic

Thread: JET program

Illusional is offline different state of mind
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"

JET program

me and a couple of my friends are really considering applying for the enrollment next year. for all of you who are unfamiliar with this program, it's where you do an exchange program and either study or teach abroad in japan. basically they give you a job and you teach english there for a year or so. we all are thinking of applying for it..but

i was browsing the net looking up information and i came across another forum that actually stated a lot of negative about the program. like overall, this program seems like they will give anyone with a degree a change to travel to japan, teach whatever english that they know, and basically prance around for a year. instead of a job, it's more like a vacation. this is one huge reason why i wanted to do this program... it's to get back to japan and see the country.

however, being that this is a government program, funding for this program is not the best. most of the children that attend these school aren't there because they want to learn english, it's more so because it's a requirement. and i know that everyone here remembers those rebellious high school days. that is one thing that has crossed my mind.

secondly, the JET program teachers don't really have too much experience in teacher because the demand for english speakers is in high desires. they will take a limit, but most of these people are unskilled. so waht is the purpose of this program?? that one still gets me. but if i were able to get into this program, i would be looked upon by the japanese community. pretty shitty huh?

well i'm still gonna apply for it, i could care less. probably get into a few fights up there cuz i have my chinese temper.. haha. but we'll see

raverboy
    ...this is just my perspective on the situation...

I've heard mixed things about this program - some people I know really enjoyed themselves and others had a really hard time but I think that was also to do with culture shock.

Go for it, if your attitudes right I'm sure it'll be fun.

Oh I'm so envious, I want to travel.

Illusional is offline different state of mind
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    culture shock?? i don't think that i'll suffer from that. i've been to japan already and i'm planning another trip there next year after i graduate. i'm really looking forward to going to japan again.. so hopefully it won't be too bad. raverboy
    ...this is just my perspective on the situation...