+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Should I stay or should I go?

Should I stay or should I go?

I have been dating the same girl exclusively for six months. Things have been wonderful and not only is she my girlfriend, but she is also my best friend. We spend the majority of our free time together, and we have for nearly the whole 6 months. We will both turn 20 in the next few months. Like all couples we fight and I feel like we resolve our issues pretty quickly. For all intents and purposes we live together, although we have two seperate places. Even while living together we get along pretty well, and continue to see each other in most of our extra time.

Now the problem:
    As a girlfriend, she is great, but now that I am getting older and I am looking for more than just a pretty face to have around. To make a long story short, there are several qualities I feel like my girlfriend does not have which would make her "wife material." As a note, I am not in a hurry to get married, but we are extremely close to each other, and each other's family. My girlfriend, suffers from mild depression, GAD (general anxiety disorder), and is often anemic. The problem I have is not with any of these afflictions, but rather with symptoms that may be related: sleeping excessively (12 hours daily if she can), lack of motivation, irritable (with less than 8 hours of sleep), plus I have caught her lying twice about smoking weed (which we do together often, but we try to limit ourselves and take "breaks"). In both cases she claimed that if she had told me that she thought I would break up with her, thus justifying the lie. Finally, she gets very spiteful when she becomes angry/upset.

I could go on complaining, but the truth is that I love her and she is my best friend too. We can converse and act like best friends, our sex life is great, our lives with each others' family are great and we hate spending time apart. One final note, I have never cheated on her and I do not want to, but the temptation definitely there. She has already fallen out of ideal shape, but I am still attracted to her? Does she just not respect me and should I move on? Or should I continue the sometimes progressless process of dealing with these diseases and be a real friend?

You're a control freak and kind of a dick. Good luck finding that perfect woman.
    Spammer Spanker

Ellynn is offline Love Gurus
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I think you should put off looking for your "perfect woman" until you improve things in your own life.

So your gf has some issues, we all do. If she is like your best friend, then why do that to her? I think your just looking for greener pastures, and I'll tell you, its not so great on the other side of the fence.

But do her a favor, if you don't want to be with her. Let her go. She will find someone. As for you, I think your expectations are a bit high at this point in your life. When you do choose what you are gonna do, just really make sure its what you want. Once you make that choice of leaving her, theres no going back.
    Appreciate the good times and learn from the bad times....

Quote Originally Posted by Ellynn
    Once you make that choice of leaving her, theres no going back.

Unless she has low self-esteem in addition to being fat, lazy, grumpy and stoned-without-permission.
    Spammer Spanker