+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How can you be so sure that birth control is in full effect?

How can you be so sure that birth control is in full effect?

I was watching Judge Judy the other day and she was tearing apart some girl who ended up having a baby in a very immature relationship. Of course, they split up, are fighting, and here they are in court. Judge Judy made a remark to her "Birth control. Go to the doctor, get it, and use it!" But the lady responded with "It doesn't work for me. My body rejects it."

So that got me thinking, how do you know BC is working for you? I mean, is there some kind of test? Or is it literally impossible for it to NOT take effect for some reason? I mean, for example when you get a vasectomy... a week (or two weeks, I forget) later you go back, ejaculate into a cup, and they scan it for sperm. So right there you have confirmation on whether or not the vasectomy did the trick. So with BC, do you just take the chance at thinking you're protected?

For the record, I don't want to hear "Well that's why you should double up and use condoms." I know, I know, that's my theory too. No glove, no love.

edit - Another question completely aside from the one above. Can a regular doctor office prescribe you birth control? Can a regular doctor office also perform gynecological checkups? Or does an ob/gyn HAVE to do that stuff? Reason I ask is, my girlfriend is destined to get on BC before she starts college again. Unfortunately that's in 2 short weeks. She has to go to the doctor first, get recommended to an ob/gyn, THEN go to the ob/gyn in order for her insurance to cover it. That's 2 doctor trips in 2 weeks, and I'm not thinking the ob/gyn will have enough openings that early. But someone told her that their doctor office does everything she needs, prescriptions, checkups, etc. My gf and I were both hoping she could knock this out in 1 shot and get everything needed at the regular doctor office.
    Last edited by blue toxin; 14-08-06 at 01:41 AM.

most primary doctors can do the checkups and give her a prescription for BC, however, most primary doctors will also stick their finger up her ass to do test. and a gynecologist doesnt do that. just something for her to think about...

God determines who walks into your life...It's up to you to decide who you let stay, who you let walk away, and who you refuse to let go.

I'm not really following your drift with the whole ass part...

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by blue toxin
    I'm not really following your drift with the whole ass part...
    A general practice doctor can write a prescription, but may lack detailed knowledge about each individual type of birth control pill if there is a problem with tolerance, etc. A GYN specializes in only that field, so theoretically, they are better-suited for it. Also, there is some lag-time during which time the pill is not considered effective when you first start taking it.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

Quote Originally Posted by vashti
    A general practice doctor can write a prescription, but may lack detailed knowledge about each individual type of birth control pill if there is a problem with tolerance, etc. A GYN specializes in only that field, so theoretically, they are better-suited for it. Also, there is some lag-time during which time the pill is not considered effective when you first start taking it.
    Yep the first 7 days, always best to use other methods of contraception too durring this time.

Quote Originally Posted by Spencer
    Converse, you are exceptional value on this forum.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Only seven days? I thought it was more like one to three months....
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

Quote Originally Posted by vashti
    Only seven days? I thought it was more like one to three months....
    That's what the doctor told me. I took that advice and was ok.

EDIT: I have actually heard of that before though, maybe brands differ.
    Last edited by Converse; 14-08-06 at 04:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spencer
    Converse, you are exceptional value on this forum.

Vashti - I know it takes a certain time for birth control to take effect. Some takes as little as 7 days, some up to a month. But what I'm saying is, in the court situation on Judge Judy, the girl flat out said her body rejects birth control, so it's useless to her. How would she know it's useless? How does any female taking birth control know her body is or is not accepting it?

Ellynn is offline Love Gurus
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by blue toxin
    But what I'm saying is, in the court situation on Judge Judy, the girl flat out said her body rejects birth control, so it's useless to her. How would she know it's useless? How does any female taking birth control know her body is or is not accepting it?

Personally I think she just took it wrong. I think she didn't take it at the same time EACH AND EVERY day and is trying to blame it on the pill. Also, some pills are not as strong as others. Different doses of hormones and such. It is possible that the pill wasn't strong enough for her. But, that is why people should realize that its a smart idea to use the pill along with condoms or something else when having sex.

People should also realize that it takes time for the pill to actually work on its own. It takes at least a month of taking the pack to be effective. If a woman just started taking the pill and has already ovulated the day before, obviously its not gonna prevent ovulation or pregnancy. It takes at least a full menstration cycle to do this and ALSO the dosage has to be correct.

Its best to talk to a doctor about these things. One that specializes in this area especially.
    Last edited by Ellynn; 14-08-06 at 05:55 AM.
    Appreciate the good times and learn from the bad times....

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I wouldn't believe 90% of what is said by defendants on Judge Judy. Haven't you noticed the large amount of trailer trash on that show? They probably just couldn't get booked on Jerry Springer.

I've never heard of someone's body rejecting birth control. Guess I need to watch some daytime TV.

Anyway- tell your gf to go to Planned Parenthood. They're the people to go to for birth control and they're not expensive.

King Zarathu Guest
    Hi.

Go to bed, Z. It's 10:00 on a school night.

King Zarathu Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigabitch
    Go to bed, Z. It's 10:00 on a school night.
    Will you tuck me in?

Don't you think that might freak your mom out a little?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast