+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question of car insurance and different states

Question of car insurance and different states

Hmm hope someone can help me. As you know my son moved to WI. He's still currently under my car insurance here in FL. But he's transferred the registration to WI and his license. Now, we've recently started looking at WI rates under his own policy and OMFG he'd be homeless with his record.

We have geico and I've called them in the past to find out what to do, and was advised to get him his own policy, but what if I kept it the same? Would he still be covered? We're paying for the insurance for the car but the car is let's say temporarily out of the state? What if he decides to come back to FL within the year? I can't find anything to anwswer my question without calling Geico and hearing the same thing. I think he might be ok? I'm not asking my husband, I don't think he really cares as long as the car is insured. Because the loan is still in my name. WI you don't have to have car insurance if the car is paid in full, but we can't go that route.

HELP??????????????????
    everything happens for a reason...beginning to wonder why.

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    If you ever have a significant claim, the insurance companies send out investigators to catch people who are trying to cheat. (I know this because my brother-in-law investigates insurance fraud for a living). If you get caught, you will be in BIG trouble.

I think you should let your son do this the right way. Make him pay for the difference in price since he's the one with the poor driving history. I know it's hard to make that stand, but this is what I think I would do.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Progressive is the cheapest I've come across.

Check out their liability.

oh squirrley. how is your son supposed to be responsible for himself when you're putting his things in your name? you're just letting him get away with irresponsible behavior.

you're in a pickle now because the car is in your name. if anything happens in that car he'd have to say he was borrowing it from you, and your insurance would skyrocket to the same level as his would be.

the only way to insure that won't happen (no pun intended) is to insure him under his name and make sure the payments are made.

next time, let him get his own car.
    baby ya hustle. but me i hustle harder.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Maybe you can sell the car and let him get something he can afford to insure on his own.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

The car is in both of our names. He has it registered in his name. He's been trying to sell the car, the problem is that he's already upside down in it. We bought a car last fall and within the month the clutch was gone, the warranty was still in place but the dealership did NOT tell us that the clutch was just replaced a couple of weeks before we bought it. We lost 5 grand on it in a month. Then traded it in for a new car and had to swallow the other 5 grand into the new loan.

I called Gieco before he left and asked them about it, his coverage is the same up there, and if he were going to school we could keep the policy as is, he's planning on going to school this fall. Called several other people and at this point he's ok until the policy runs out in a couple of months.

He is still covered. So all is good. But he's getting his own policy after that. He has to bite the bullet on it. And it is his own fault.

Thanks for all the input!

I have spoken to my family up there and they said he's doing great, paying all of his own bills and FINALLY taking the responsibilty he needed!

Illusional is offline different state of mind
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    honestly i haven't got the slightest clue as to what happens when you change insurance companies within the nation. i would think that they would roughly remain the same, however, every state has different laws and thus, different policies.

maybe HE should call geico and do something on his own for a change...

also, i'm going to seattle this dec so i should slap him around a couple of times yeah??

raverboy
    ...this is just my perspective on the situation...

Please slap him Raver! He has his own policy now, its just through my policy. It's up in 4 months anyway. He's been doing the leg work on everything.

He doesnt call me anymore. Everyone says "Kyle cut the apron strings...hmmm Squir, it's your turn." I do call and I'm always on him about making sure everything is paid on time so he doesnt ruin his credit. He finally paid off his Kay's credit card which I'm thrilled about and he was able to get his own account with a cell phone company without a deposit. I'm proud of him! I'm flying up in June for his 19th birthday, OMG. Im old

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    wait, maybe i should slap you for babying him too much. let him fall down on his own because that's the only way that he will learn.

raverboy

I deserve that. I admit I do...

ah squirl it's okay. he's your son and he's still just a kid and you want to provide him with some things. that's understandable.

but he's 18 now, you can't go back and change things, but you'll have to decide to separate what you want to provide him with and what you want him to provide himself with.

it's not too late you know? my dad paid my insurance until i was into my 20's. after a while he finally said, "misombra, you need to get your own insurance."

i hated it, but now i have my own insurance and it's cool.

it may be painful, but learning responsibility is never easy for anybody. you'll have to trust kyle that he'll make it through those hard times and help him out as much as possible without doing it yourself.

you're a good mom squirrley.
    baby ya hustle. but me i hustle harder.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    No one wants to see their kids suffer. It's a hard balance: wanting to ensure they are okay, and wanting to support them in growing into responsible adulthood. What a thankless, crappy job we have.

Quote Originally Posted by vashti View Post
    No one wants to see their kids suffer. It's a hard balance: wanting to ensure they are okay, and wanting to support them in growing into responsible adulthood. What a thankless, crappy job we have.
    I thanked my mom for everything right before I left for college. Made her cry on Christmas when I thanked her again.

It's not a thankless jobs, it's just when the child realizes what their parents have done for them, is when they'll thank them. Some take longer than others.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by squirrley View Post
    I deserve that. I admit I do...
    now that you know the problem, why don't you cut him off and let him fix things for himself?

raverboy

He's doing everything on his own. At this point he doesnt have the finances to get insurance on his own. We just found out there is a waiting list to move up at his job(employee owned store) and he's having to possibly find another job. It's just to buy him a couple of months. I'm not doing other things for him, I would say the ties are cut. But I don't want him to suffer. He's working 14 days in a row, 9 to 10 hour days and he doesn't complain. But he works such odd hours its hard to find a second job. He's doing ok, and I'm proud of him. I know one day I'll get thanked, like in 20 years!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast