+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I hate car insurance

bluesummer is offline Whatever.
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"

I hate car insurance

I think Indi will understand where I'm coming from.

In my province, car insurance is controlled by a government-owned company: you HAVE to get your insurance through them, and it's one of the most expensive provinces to buy insurance in the country, if not the most. I pay $1300 a year for my piece of shit car, and that's after a 35% good driver's discount. Bullshit!

My insurance expires in three days. I took it in to re-insure, and they told me me car needs to go through air care inspection (check my emissions), something required by law. I fail.....barely. I can't re-insure my car until it's fixed. It cost $45 to do the test, $85 for the inspection to see what needs to be fixed, the cost of repairs, and THEN another $23 to do the test again. THEN I can buy insurance.

God damn ****ing money grab is what it is. I'm almost considering moving just because it's such a rip off.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. - Mohandas Gandhi

That's ****up we have loads of insurance options and prices start at round R150 p/m I think, which isn't a lot...

Must be tough hey, not that I know much about such things but ja that has to suck
    Live your life to the fullest and let the regrets of today be lessons for tomorrow

Illusional is offline different state of mind
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    shit, after i got my sr22 for my speeding ticket, my insurance company canned my ass... atleast you still got yours.

raverboy
    ...this is just my perspective on the situation...

don't move here it's waaaaaaaaay more.

it sucks you have to go through one company though.
    baby ya hustle. but me i hustle harder.

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Yeah, I had my first accident not long ago.

I was backing out of my driveway and in trying to straighten out, my side mirror put a good foot long scratch on this girls CR-V. I was feathering the gas and clutch, not the brake.

I saw on-line that it cost over 1300 to repair.

I don't know how it's going to affect my premium since I pay in 6 month blocks.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Yeah, 1AJ they tend to be harder on young males because they have more of a tendency to speed and be involved in high-speed, costly crashes. Women usually rear end someone. I've never been in an accident.

In my fiance's home province he paid $90 a month for his brand new car, and he pays $230 a month for it here. It's bullshit. I think the government wants us all to take public transit, they offer a grant for trashing your old car here and buying a bus pass (or buying a hybrid, but I don't have a spare $30 K kicking around).
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. - Mohandas Gandhi

That's what happens if you have a government owned insurance company with a non-competition clause. They can eff you any way they want.

I betcha, on top of that, if you are involved in an accident and your repairs are more than your vehicle is worth, they 'buy out' for such a small amount you can't even buy a decent second hand vehicle with it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Illusional is offline different state of mind
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    joe... males insurance rates always cost more because of our aggressive behaviors.

raverboy
    ...this is just my perspective on the situation...

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Yggdrasil View Post
    I betcha, on top of that, if you are involved in an accident and your repairs are more than your vehicle is worth, they 'buy out' for such a small amount you can't even buy a decent second hand vehicle with it.

Yeah, most of the time. Except that my car got totalled last year by someone who hit me, and my car was a piece of crap on its last breath....it barely ran, and was probably worth $300. They gave me $1600 for it. Score!

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    ICBC bites. Alberta you can get the same insurance for $800. Full coverage, not just basic.

Blue, if you are at 35%, you might want to look at your secondary through a different company. Try talking to BCAA. It might be worth a membership (plus you get multiproduct discounts, e.g. if your house is with them as well).

I feel your pain, tho, yes. I've been considering one of those electric bikes, which you can buy for that amount of money. And no licence, insurance, gas, plus you get fit, it can go on Skytrain if raining...
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by bluesummer View Post
    Yeah, most of the time. Except that my car got totalled last year by someone who hit me, and my car was a piece of crap on its last breath....it barely ran, and was probably worth $300. They gave me $1600 for it. Score!
    Lucky you. The converse situation was when a gal in a beemer totalled our nice Toyota. It was 6 years old, they only gave us replacement cost (used), so we had to cough up another 10K to get us a satisfactory car. We look after our cars and we don't put much mileage on them. Fine if you can afford it, but many can't.

We were dumb, tho. Our old car had brand new (expensive) tires, various internal upgrades, and we just gave it to them for scrap/resale. Never again. I would strip down my car first.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Quote Originally Posted by bluesummer View Post
    I think Indi will understand where I'm coming from.

In my province, car insurance is controlled by a government-owned company: you HAVE to get your insurance through them, and it's one of the most expensive provinces to buy insurance in the country, if not the most. I pay $1300 a year for my piece of shit car, and that's after a 35% good driver's discount. Bullshit!

My insurance expires in three days. I took it in to re-insure, and they told me me car needs to go through air care inspection (check my emissions), something required by law. I fail.....barely. I can't re-insure my car until it's fixed. It cost $45 to do the test, $85 for the inspection to see what needs to be fixed, the cost of repairs, and THEN another $23 to do the test again. THEN I can buy insurance.

God damn ****ing money grab is what it is. I'm almost considering moving just because it's such a rip off.
    Wow, that sux a lot Blue! We don't have "air care" inspections here. We have two types of insurance, one for the car (3rd party or comprehensive - which you don't have to have if you don't want to) and one for people (that you might hit) which is compulsory. The compulsory one is about $700 a year.

You should move to Australia.
    Don't cry, don't regret and don't blame
    Weak find the whip, willing find freedom
    Towards the sun, carry your name
    In warm hands you are given
    Ask the wind for the way
    Uncertainty's gone, your path will unravel
    Accept all as it is and do not blame
    God or the Devil
    ~Born to Live - Mavrik~

Stop whining. I pay more than twice as much.

Quote Originally Posted by doppelgaenger View Post
    Stop whining.

Quote Originally Posted by doppelgaenger View Post
    Stop whining. I pay more than twice as much.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast