+ Follow This Topic

Thread: My ex girlfriend is my best friend. I'm still not over her. Need help

My ex girlfriend is my best friend. I'm still not over her. Need help

First of all, hi, this is my first post on this site. My name's Harry, I'm from England, and to be honest I'm feeling pretty low at the minute.
    Heres my story.

Me and my ex girlfriend broke up a year ago. We'll call her Katie. Because thats her name.

We promised we'd stay good friends. At first I thought this was a bad idea, as I wanted to distance myself from her to get over her. For maybe 3 months we didnt talk, now we're basically best friends. We do everything together, as well as this guy called Josh. We're like the 3 muskateers, its freaking adorable.

One night, about 3 months ago, me and Katie got pretty drunk. I ended up confessing to her that I still like her. Big mistake, I got shot down. She doesnt feel the same way, we're too good as friends, yada yada.

So since then we've continued as we always were. Only shes now aware that I still love her, which can make things awkward sometimes, especially if its just the two of us.

Shes back on the dating game, shes interested in a guy from her work. The thing is, shes worried about what I'd think to her getting a boyfriend, she doesnt want it to ruin our friendship. And I'm in two minds. As her best friend, I absoloutley want her to be with this guy, I want her to be happy, I dont want my feelings to stop her living her life. But at the same time, the thought of her with somebody else makes me crazy.

I dont know what to do. Shes actually tried hooking me up with other people. But I dont want anyone else, I want her. But its not going to happen. And if I push the point too hard I'll lose her.

I've been fighting these conflicting feelings for the past 6 months, and its driving me mad. If any of you could tell me anything, any advice, even just some words of comfort or something, I'd gladly appreciate it.

And sorry for the long post, but I need to get this stuff off my chest

Mate, I feel for you, You need to put some distance between you and her because otherwise this will eat you up When I broke up with my ex (after 8 years) I didn't see her at all except when neceassary. We broke up 6 months ago and I have not seen her for 5 months. It's best that way. You have to move on. Good luck.

Hey... Harry
    I understand what you're going through, but as Boisdevie said, you should distance yourself from her. She's currently your best friend, because you're still not over her. From what you told, I don't think there's any chance for her to come back to you (and I'm pretty sure you know it too). She has the right to continue her life, and you should do the same. Eventually, talk to her and tell her what you told us. That on one side you wish her nothing but the best, and you want her to be happy, but on the other side this doesn't make you really comfortable, and this is why you should stop being close friends (of course, you can mantain a friendly relationship with her, but try to see her only when it's necessary, or when you can't avoid it).

Look at it like this, when you broke up it broke your heart. Now, just like any other muscle in the body, the heart needs time to heal itself.......a lot of time. You could imagine, a muscle that's always at work like your heart would need an extended period of time to heal properly right? Give your heart time to heal or it'll never get back to the point of properly functioning.