+ Follow This Topic

Thread: I found the perfect one, but...

I found the perfect one, but...

Not many people can say this -- I'm with the man of my dreams. We've been dating for a year, and just inches away from engagement. However, he has a job offer (with a HUGE salary) in another city where I would die of boredom.

I've heard that location doesn't matter as long as you're with the one you love, but this location has no one under the age of 60!! (I'm in my mid-20s.) I've visited the city a couple of times, and genuinely tried to like it, but I just can't! It's especially hard for me to be in a small town when I'm a big city girl.

I know I'm being selfish, but I know I would be miserable and depressed moving to the city where his job would be. Should I follow him and sacrifice or should I move on, even though he's the best man I've ever met in my life?

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    No one can tell you what to do - you have to decide what is more important to you: this man or your location. Where is this place he wants to live?

BTW - I would be careful about this if you aren't married.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

You owe it to him to give it great thought; which you have
    He owes it to you to give your feelings the same thought.; has he??

If I were in his shoes; I'd very much want to move but if my SO was very much against it; gave it proper consideration; etc, then I wouldn't take the job. But that's just me. For some, work is just as important as relationships
    "Oh Lord it's hard to be humble, when you're perfect in every way. I can't wait to look in the mirror, cause I get better loking each day. To know me is to love me, I must be a hell of a man. Oh Lord it's hard to be humble, but I'm doing the best that I can." Mac Davis

Tell him how u feel ...
    Talk about it ...
    Maybe he doesn't want to go if u feel miserable moving there!

no offense to you, but he would be foolish to pick a girl he's known for only a year over a career with a large salary. There is no guarantee you two will stay together forever. However, he is guaranteed this job offer. Maybe you should decide what's best for you.

Thanks for your replies!

Thank you all for replying. After we've spoke about it (again) last night, he has no problem to keep looking for a job in the city I want to be. He loves my city anyway, but it all boiled down to his (lack of) confidence in finding a job in my city. He's very successful, and he would no doubt find a job, even though it may take more time because it's a competitive city.

As for Seminole's comment, no offense taken. He's an attorney -- so finding a high-paying job is not an issue. It's just *finding* it.

Are you a lawyer too? If you marry him, what are your plans?

Illusional is offline different state of mind
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    hrmm... i've thought about moving before for someone that i really wanted to be with. however, i never actually did it before.

in your case, i would really consider your options. you will spend a lot of time with your man, but if that all that you need in life? being a big city girl, i'm sure that you're used to the fast life. slowing down to this pace is also something that you're looking for, but not at the moment. i would really talk to him about moving because money is a lot, but it isn't everything.

raverboy
    ...this is just my perspective on the situation...