+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Friend-zoned or confused?

Friend-zoned or confused?

Hi I'm new here.

Anywho, here is my story. I just transferred to a new university this semester. I soon found a girl that I was interested in, but she had a sort-of boyfriend. Anywho, she complained about him a lot to the group of friends I had joined. Shortly after, she broke it off with him because he didn't want to commit to anything more than being friends with benefits. I liked her and being what I consider to be a gentleman, I thought that I might be a nice change of pace for her as it seemed that she had dated a fair few assholes in the past. I also felt that she might appreciate me more for it.

Things were going well, but then the fool who screwed things up decides that he does want more and is now calling and texting her. I guess he has had a lot of problems with commitment and stability, so she wants to let him down easy, because she is interested in me now and I'm not like any other guy she's met, and she realized that she loves him as a friend, but not romantically. He buys her a very nice piece of jewelry for valentine's day, which she accepts to my chagrin.

In the meantime, things are moving kind of quickly between us. I drew the line that we shouldn't make love until we were in a committed relationship, but all the same, we have been having trouble keeping our hands off each other and very much enjoy our time together.

So here's where things sort of get sour. She still has not told off the ex, and now she has told me that she feels like she is just jumping from one man to the next and not paying attention to school and life. I can agree with that completely. She expressed her concerns that our relationship would fail if it started on this footing and that we should just be friends for now and get to know each other better until she gets her life together. She also said she didn't want me as a rebound and wanted things to go right between us.

So that was yesterday. What the hell do I do now? I feel like I've been side lined to the friend zone. Have I? Honestly I don't want this girl as my friend. I have been through that before and don't have time to be a unpaid therapist.

So here's the questions. What does this girl want? Does she want me? Have I been friend zoned and she will just date another asshole before me? Is she being upfront and honest with me, even though she hasn't been with her ex?

last but not least, is all this worth it or should I just move on? I have been a fan of the quote, "If you are going through hell, keep going." But I'm not sure it is necessarily healthy in this case.

Final question: If I decide to wait for this girl, then how do I go about doing that? Should I disappear for a while and come back in a month? Should I just be there as her friend (doesn't seem like a good option)? Maybe keep things low and slow and avoid being alone?
    Last edited by Felipe; 22-02-11 at 04:14 AM.

[url=http://www.buzzle.com/articles/how-to-get-out-of-the-friend-zone.html]How to Get Out of the Friend Zone[/url]
    Always forgive your enemies - nothing annoys them so much.
    Oscar Wilde

What lies behind us, and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
    ~ by Ralph Waldo Emerson ~

This sort of guide is useless for me. You should read my post again. I've gotten past the friend zone barrier, but I'm not sure if I am being kicked out or not. If I am then I will just move on, but I don't know if I am or not.

That's a tough one. You said that you can't seem to keep your hands off each other, so there's definitely attraction between the two of you.
    As you mention yourself I don't think it's a great idea to just be her friend because then you can end in the friend zone.
    You still need to be there for her though maybe she's having a tough time personally right now, but just keep sure you make it clear with your actions that you wan't a romantic relationship and not just be her friend.

Ultimately you could just explain what you wan't with your relationship and if she doesn't wan't same then you can decide whether or not to move on or not.

Hope this helps a little bit.