+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Music choices and inteligence

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"

Music choices and intelligence

This chart compares music choices and SAT scores, but it must be somewhat dated because it is using the old SAT max scores.

[url]http://www.noiseaddicts.com/2009/03/music-makes-you-dumb-intelligent/[/url]
    Last edited by vashti; 07-03-09 at 08:53 AM.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

according to that chart, I should prefer listening to Sufjan Stevens and Beethoven yet I don't listen to either.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Hip-hop, country and Christian music doesn't score very high....
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

vashti, is that what you listen to?

Why is beethoven so overrated? Maurice Ravel was a much better composer.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by NeoSeminole View Post
    vashti, is that what you listen to?
    Nope. Most of my choices are in the 1100+ range, but I DO listen to Beethoven during formal holiday meals.

I'm a little disappointed by Queen's rank.

I'll listen to classical stuff when Im 65+, until then Ill be fighting the "deep thinker architect" wannabe norm of listening to classical music, enjoying art and expressing your ideas in relation to earthly elements e.t.c.
    Feck that.

It's not that certain music makes you dumb. It's that the majority of dumb people usually listen to a certain type of music. Isn't that just a little obvious? Poor researcher...
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best. ~ Marilyn Monroe

Gribble is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I wonder if classical music doesn't help raise one's intellect to some extent, though. I can turn on Beethoven and it clears my mind and helps me think. Music such as that can accompany a good book, for example.

Turn on hip hop, rock or country, however, and the thoughts are driven right out of my head and there's no hope of comprehending what is read.

My fourth grade teacher claimed classical music stimulated the mind and improved test scores. She played it every test.
    Last edited by Gribble; 07-03-09 at 10:45 AM.
    God, so atrocious in the Old Testament, so attractive in the New--the Jekyl and Hyde of sacred romance.
    -Mark Twain

If people are good only because they fear punishment and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
    -Albert Einstein

Now dont get me wrong, I love Beethoven's music. I play some of his pieces on the piano. But shit, the type of music cant really determine my intelligence. What a stereotype.
    ..::.*Love is giving someone the ability to break your heart but trusting them not to*.::..

So good music is that which makes you focus on other things rather than the music itself?

It doesn't exactly make its case.

bluesummer is offline Whatever.
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I listen to almost everything on that scale, and I've been an honours student the whole time I've been in school. At my best I also happened to be a huge Metallica fan.

This chart is crap.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. - Mohandas Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by Gribble View Post
    My fourth grade teacher claimed classical music stimulated the mind and improved test scores. She played it every test.
    I love classical too....since I was a little child. I, too, had a teacher to play classical music during exams. I like to study and do math/chemistry to instrumental. Beethoven, Mozart, etc...or almost any instrumental played very low is good for improving concentration. If played loudly I actually can lose concentration because I like them so much...especially Tchaikovsky. I wish I could remember the other guy that was a pianist with a similar name to Tchaikovsky....He was my favorite as a child.
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best. ~ Marilyn Monroe

Does anyone like listening to Beck? I loved him when I was a young teen/older teen. I need to buy his music to remember the old times . To You Tube I go lol.

What a bs study this was! People can and will publish anything.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Wow - this was supposed to be for FUN! Lighten up you guys!

Yes, I like Beck.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast