+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Am I too superficial?

Am I too superficial?

Hi everybody,

So here's my point : I've been dating this girl for the past 5 months everything has been great since. When I met her, she told me she wanted to be a psychologist, and I thought this is really great. But the only problem is that she recently started taking a formation to work in a summer camp. She even thinks she wants to work in that field later instead. I am personally in a police technology program, and I just feel shy to tell people that my girlfriend wants to work in a summer camp for the rest of her life. Am I being too superficial?

Please don't judge me.

Thanks.

William

tremolo Guest
    Some people might say so, but I would probably have the same problem if that was my boyfriend's occupation.

Basically, you have to decide whether you can live with that, or whether it's time to move on...

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Most people with psychology degrees don't work in that field, anyway. To me, both are "light" majors, unless she is motivated to get a Master's degree. So to me, one is as good as the other.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

tremolo Guest
    Yeah, but I think 'psychologist' carries a little more weight than 'summer camp counselor' or whatever.

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I agree, except you aren't a psychologist without a master's degree. That's why I said "unless she is motivated to get her Master's degree".
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

tremolo Guest
    Oh right. Yeah, that's true... good point.

I could get this if you were a doctor or lawyer, but I wouldn't wonder what a cop was doing with a girl who worked with kids for a living. The uniform is cool and it can be a noble profession but it isn't rocket science. She isn't that much beneath you on the totem pole.

Gotta do whatever makes you happy in the end though.
    Last edited by leoben; 13-08-11 at 08:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by leoben View Post
    I could get this if you were a doctor or lawyer, but I wouldn't wonder what a cop was doing with a girl who worked with kids for a living. The uniform is cool and it can be a noble profession but it isn't rocket science. She isn't that much beneath you on the totem poll.

Gotta do whatever makes you happy in the end though.
    I agree and in fact if someone I was dating wanted to work with children and make a difference to their lives I think that is extremely attractive and makes a change from someone only wanting a job to make money.
    Some people are drains and some are radiators... Keep clear of the drains and hug the radiators!

Well... yeah... I mean a job's a job.

I'm currently studying medicine at uni, but my bf is a full time security guard (in his spare time he makes music, but obviously he'd like to afford to do it full time) Sometimes people react weirdly saying I can do better or whatever, but at the end of the day he makes me happy, so why should I let careers affect me. If youlike the girl it shouldn't really bother you too much, I's say yeah you are being a bit superficial.

Ric is offline Registered User
    Users Country Flag
    As long as she is doing something she likes, who cares? That's what's the most important part.
    She might be able to have a "more respectable" profession that makes more money, but if that makes her come home feeling like shit every day, that wouldn't be very beneficial.

So, yes, I would say it's superficial. In the end, a happy girl will be a lot more fun than one that just does a job she doesn't enjoy all that much. Everyone has their own passion.

1 Does it make her happy
    2 Does she forget about you and pay you no attention
    3 does it bring in money
    if yes to all 3 then you need to address 2 but if the answer to 2 is no then why the hell should it matter to you what job she has as long as she has time for you it shouldnt make a difference at all
    Yes you are being superifical her job shouldnt matter she isnt doing anything wrong.
    A mistake is always forgivable, rarely excusable and always unacceptable.
    Robert Fripp

maybe talk to her about ambitions? to make sure she is doing what she really wants and not sacrificing due to money problems or something