+ Follow This Topic

Thread: how?

how?

How to tell if someone is lying. Is there some basics?

LostNotFound Guest
    you look em in the eye and you just know

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Things I look for:

Lack of eye contact. Not a sure fire thing, esp w/ppl from other cultures, but generally useful. Also odd vocal stuff like stammering, lots of umm, ahhs & throat clearing.

Mostly I trust my instincts & is something sounds weird I can usually tell. Esp if they seem to be acting different from usual.

There's a pysch method I use if I'm really trying to sort something out (esp b/t two ppl at work). I bring up the subject of concern & then, once I've elicited some of the signs above I will abruptly change the subject. Someone telling the truth will usually ask me why I did that or otherwise look bemused or discomfited. The lying person will show signs of relief. Its hard to fake this, so its a good test if you are alert & know what you are looking for.

Man, I just realized this makes me sound really manipulative. Bet ya'll feel sorry for my staff & husband now, lol. Anyway, hope you find this useful. I'm sure this stuff is useful for smoking out bad partners/cheaters also, tho I've never needed to use it for this.

Personally, I think it depends. I find it much easier to tell if someone is lying to me if I know them well. Were you thinking of a specific example, or just asking a very general question?

Quote Originally Posted by God_ View Post
    How to tell if someone is lying. Is there some basics?
    I wish there was a way.
    "Why are you an atheist?"
    "because I paid attention in science class."

I read a study that anyone that looks up and to the left while theyre talking is completely, without a doubt, lying.

I dont know though.. I suck at lying, I am an honest person, and I expect everyone to be honest.
    I see the world for what I want it to be rather than for what it is.
    Lying just seems to catch up with you, big or small and its always embarrassing and twists you up. Gay.

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodtippedrose View Post
    I read a study that anyone that looks up and to the left while theyre talking is completely, without a doubt, lying.
    Except for ppl like me who have read those reports.

There is some truth to whoever said that if someone is intelligent & wants to lie to you it can be hard to detect w/these sorts of 'quick tips'.

If they are very intelligent & subtle, it can be almost impossible.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodtippedrose View Post
    What if something happened on the upper left side that grabbed their attention. Like an interesting bird or plane.

What a stupid conclusion from who ever made that study. I don't even see people looking up and left when talking at all.
    "Why are you an atheist?"
    "because I paid attention in science class."

What if something happened on the upper left side that grabbed their attention. Like an interesting bird or plane.

What a stupid conclusion from who ever made that study. I don't even see people looking up and left when talking at all.
    They way I understand it, it's based on where the eyes go while specifically remembering (or fabricating) something. The interviewer is supposed to go through a lengthy series of questions to establish the person's base for eye movement before actually using it, and then there are so many variables with this method that it's entertainment value at best.

~Sphinx