+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Swine Flu

Swine Flu

Post if you have this or have taken part in the latest world wide panic related to this new flavor of the month illness.

Seriously, people get WAY to worked up over silly things. You want some staggering facts, look at how many people die world wide each year from diarrhea.

God I am tired of hearing about it, its on par with the daily article about what Spears did last night.

"What you really fear is inside yourself. You fear your own power.
    You fear your own anger, the drive to do great and terrible things."

The Warmonger

Illusional is offline different state of mind
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    i'm just hoping that less people travel this year so the price of tickets drop... then my trip will be even sweeter.

raverboy
    ...this is just my perspective on the situation...

Unless someone I know has it then I'm not worried. I don't want to spend everyday worrying about it. I have a life.
    -Don't tell me that the sky is the limit when there are footprints on the moon-.
    -Stand up for what is right. Even if you're standing up alone-.
    -People put up walls, not to keep others out, but to see who cares enough to break them down-.

Illusional is offline different state of mind
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    i swear that once people hear the word, "disease" their dicks shrivel up like it's seen an ugly pussy...

the only reason why people are dying it because they are in mexico... flu shots are given commonly around the US.

however, i will get my facts straight. i think it was about 3 people who actually got the swine flu in hawaii. they were all in the military and that's what happens when you bang assholes. haha.

raverboy
    ...this is just my perspective on the situation...

Bo is offline Registered User
    Users Country Flag
    I agree there is way too much of an over reaction over this thing, people die from flu every year anyway it's nothing new. Every year the flu mutates into a different kind and people need to get over it. There's only been 2 reported deaths in the us that have to do with the swine flu but both of them had a history of illnesses and they're not even sure if the second person even died specifically from swine flu.
    I'm getting annoyed at the paranoia these days...

While I don't like the media spin to it (Global warming, economic crisis AND swine flu, hat-trick bitches!) I'm glad that the governments respond to it seriously and make antiviral drugs available and impose restrictions to pre-emptively curb the people flow to keep it in control.

If it turns worse Im more interested in how those of the islamic faith would interpret its origin. Quite a boost to their beliefs I would say.

I've always hated the pressure that American workplaces seem to put on employees to come in and work even when they're sick. Even though the hype in the news over swine flu seems like a total ploy to get ratings, if the stream of news stories about it helps pressure employers to give sick workers more of a break, then I can't complain about that.

I can't stand it when sick people come into work and spread their germs all over the office. And I can't stand when I'm expected to come in sick. No amount of business is worth sacrificing your health and the health of others.
    “Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist”--George Carlin

I'm not panicking, no sir. I just wear a mask, kill every pig I see (very useful), as well as every human who sneezes within my hearing range. Normal safety precautions.

I remember losing sleep over bird flu. I was convinced 1/3 of the population would die and I freaked out when I heard the word "pandemic" thrown around.

I remember my mom emailed me and said there was a thousand deaths in Mexico. Then I read in a German newspaper that it was only about 40 deaths.

I read today that in alot of those fatal cases, the people already had health problems or compromised immune systems, too.
    “Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist”--George Carlin

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    The 1918 flu outbreak was actually 3. Each time the virus circled the world it got worse. Third world high-population areas will suffer most when the next virulent pandemic hits. There's not really much to avoid it. Things like travel restrictions and border closures don't really do much except delay the inevitable, this is known.

Healthcare professionals have an obligation to get educated about the last pandemic & apply what they learn to the present. Recognition & education, sterile hygiene (you'd be surprised how gross many docs & nurses are), avoiding crowds/controlling transmission when ill, avoid overworking the immune system.

I'm personally not that concerned. Biologically, it is not in a viruses best interest to kill its host, thus its what SB said: those with compromised immunity (sick, tired, poor diet & fitness) will be affected most. I think that liberal use of a few bottles of bleach to prevent infection are worth more than a stockpile of Tamiflu after you've already been infected.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    ???

What's a few bottles of bleach gonna do once you've already been infected (other than prevent transmission to your family)?

Flu kills thousands and thousands of people every year in the US (I think I read 36,000). The overwhelming majority are very young, very old, or immune-compromised. Oh well, I guess the media feels the need to keep people in a continual state of paranoia.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by vashti View Post
    ???

What's a few bottles of bleach gonna do once you've already been infected (other than prevent transmission to your family)?
    I explicitly said it was to prevent infection. And bleach is very good at preventing spread even within a household with a sick individual, we use it all the time & we are rarely sick. Even when we were in both Mexico and South America (where raw food is often contaminated), we used bleach & it kept us healthy. Prevention starts with good hygiene.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Oh, I'm big on bleach in my house, because I am a bit of a germaphobe, but once I'm infected, I'm getting sick, so I suppose you were referring to transmission to other family members... I think I need some caffeine.

Hey indi - I started a thread in the other section about things to do for fun with adolescents in your neck of the woods. Do you have any suggestions?

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I think its b/c I read some gross article once about germ transmission from toilets from folks with the trots. Its even airborne, some of it, so bleach is dumped pretty liberally in my house. Blech.

I'll have a look at that other thread.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast