Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Didn't want to hijack Giga's thread any further

DoesntMatter is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"

Didn't want to hijack Giga's thread any further

So let me just put this here.

Quote Originally Posted by Gribble View Post
    High SAT and IQ scores does not an intelligent person make. Such a fellow is quite good at school, but if he has no other talents and few social graces...
    See this is all that liberal bullshit new way of thinking. Of course the SAT is not a sole measurement of how smart someone is. But don't try and tell me someone who scores in the 99th percentile is not a smart person though. People like to think they are all smart until some concrete and definite math or physics problem pops up and it becomes clear there can be no dicking around with this one. Obviously some test scores alone do not mean much. Other factors need to be considered. In my opinion the SAT asks some goofy ass questions. 2 of the 3 parts are English, which is complete and utter bullshit, but colleges don't even look at the essay section because they can recognize this.

One of my friends scored 790 on the math section, and the other like a 700. The one who scored 700 is better at math overall, and both admitted this. The SAT just likes to ask you some puzzly type questions, like things that you learn in fifth and sixth grade, and see if you can read it in their language.

And btw, the two kids I am thinking of in particular, the valedictorian and salutatorian, have skills in other areas (both are very good cross country runners, for example).

I can't stand this new age "let's not hurt anyone's feelings so we won't acknowledge that somebody did well in class or play games like duck-duck-goose in gym class, might make the fat kids feel bad". I'm not saying this is what you meant, I just had to say it. My mom was the valedictorian of her high school class, and those bastards didn't even announce it to give her credit at her graduation.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiay View Post
    Really? Is Einstein inherently more worthy than me? In my opinion; Hell yes! Of course, he is also just a mortal human and is equal to me in that respect.. but that does not pertain to relationships!

ok, so say there's this beautiful, smart, funny, wonderful and popular girl. And she's dating this guy who is kinda overweight.. has no ambition or job, is socially completely out of touch, and doesn't even treat her as well as she treats him.
    are you honestly gonna say "hey, they're both mortal, so they're totally equal.." or are you going to say "what on earth is she doing with him, she could do so much better.."

you see what I mean?

are we talking about my SO here? I didn't mean to imply that couples must be equal in IQ to feel 'balanced'. Heck IQ doesn't really mean all that much. But if one partner has a much broader vocabulary and is often the one bringing up interesting/intelligent conversation, it will lead to the other partner feeling kinda stupid in comparison.
    "wow, congratulations on graduating, getting this amazing score, getting all these amazing recommendations, getting into this amazing gradschool, releasing your amazing album.. oh, what's up with me? oh, nothing, still in the same unknown college.. no.. I haven't found a job yet.."
    and don't tell me that this wouldn't made you feel a bit silly in comparison!

This happens on many levels, in all relationships. Heck, i'm sure some of you have seen the "I love you, I love you too" pattern, where one partner initiates it for a while, then the other does because they become aware that they haven't been saying it enough.

after a while, you just suddenly realise stuff like that. hey, he's often dressed perfectly when I'm a mess.. what must he think of me? Or hey, he studies more than me. Or she does favours for me more than I do for her... or she is more romantic.. or.. etc.

And then you're stuck there, remembering all the times that this happened, cringing about the fact that you didn't notice before, wondering how your SO is putting up with it, etc.. and while doing so, you forget all the things you do for them
    When people say that someone else is "better", a person cannot in and of themselves just be "better". Maybe someone has greater skills than you in certain areas, but this does not reflect the worth of a person. Maybe if you are looking at it like "How much is this person worth to society?".

And you're example with the hot chick and fat slob- They ARE equal, but they just aren't compatible.

No, I wasn't talking about your SO. I was just stating that being smart does not seem to make you look any more attractive in the eyes of the opposite gender. Of course things aren't always what they seem.

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I agree that people are not necessarily equal, just as Tiay suggested. I think there are people who ARE worth more to a society because they contribute better. (Sorry, I am a snob.) Those that are more valued are not necessarily the ones with the highest IQ. "Goodness" matters to a society, too.

I also think that high SATs and IQs *are* indicative of high academic intelligence, but not necessarily of social intelligence.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Yeah, the real answer is somewhere in between what me, you, and Tiay said. It's very good to disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by DoesntMatter View Post
    When people say that someone else is "better", a person cannot in and of themselves just be "better". Maybe someone has greater skills than you in certain areas, but this does not reflect the worth of a person.
    Of course it does, look at football for example. Some players are worth 1000's whereas some are worth millions. The monetary value of football players greatly demonstrate the worth of the player or the person himself.

And you're example with the hot chick and fat slob- They ARE equal, but they just aren't compatible.
    On a moral philosophical level, maybe (in theory) but in reality, no, they're not considered equal in terms of worth. Worth is measured by the beneficiality of a person or group to society.
    Live together. Die alone - [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvi_RCM3FAM[/url]

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Bah, I just dislike most concepts of "worth" since it is so relative, and therefore hard to talk about. As in, being told I am "worth" nothing makes me think "To who? To you"

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I think if a girl is going out with a loser, she deserves him, and her value is no greater than his. Water seeks its own level.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

Quote Originally Posted by vashti View Post
    I think if a guy is going out with a loser, he deserves her, and his value is no greater than hers. Water seeks its own level.
    I fixed your post.
    Live together. Die alone - [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvi_RCM3FAM[/url]

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    That's okay... it goes both ways.

That's okay... it goes both ways.
    We forgot the other two.

I think if a guy is going out with a loser, he deserves him, and her value is no greater than his. Water seeks its own level.
    I think if a girl is going out with a loser, she deserves her, and her value is no greater than hers. Water seeks its own level.

I would not, could not date an idiot. No matter how good-looking, no matter how sweet.

No idiots.
    Spammer Spanker

anachronistic Guest
    as i said, humans are so diverse that it's impossible to classify. it's all based on your morals, traditions and values.

Gribble is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I'm a career scholar. Believe me when I say I'm not trying to devalue education. Still, I firmly believe that there's more to intelligence than the stuff you do in school. Being great in physics doesn't do much for you if you're an incompetent employee. Likewise, it doesn't win the ladies over if you can't carry an intelligent conversation.
    God, so atrocious in the Old Testament, so attractive in the New--the Jekyl and Hyde of sacred romance.
    -Mark Twain

If people are good only because they fear punishment and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
    -Albert Einstein

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Maybe those things are the product of maturity, though, and not intelligence.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Gribble View Post
    Likewise, it doesn't win the ladies over if you can't carry an intelligent conversation.
    I'm the worst conversationalist you have ever met. I just called and left a message for that one girl I like, and I probably ended up sounding like a bumbling ****ing idiot. Oh well... I don't think she'll hold it against me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast