+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Feminist Bullcrap

bluesummer is offline Whatever.
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"

Feminist Bullcrap

So, I'm getting married in around 2 and a half months, and I've decided to change my last name. Not that it was really much of a 'decision', I fully intended to do it right from the start.

So then for the last year or so, my female friends have been asking me if I'm going to change it. When I say "Yeah, of course," they kind of scrunch up their faces and say "Oh, reallly? You're gonna do that huh. Okay." Then I get the whole tirade about me not being some man's piece of property, and that's so old-fashioned, and why should I give up my identity for 'some man'.

First of all, he is not 'some man'. He's my best friend and the future father of my kids. Secondly, I'm quite secure in myself and my individuality. I could change my name to Princess Leia and it wouldn't change who I am. What is the big freakin' deal?
    This is irritating me now.

Am I really so old fashioned? Is everybody else really buying into this whole feminist line of thinking? Gah.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. - Mohandas Gandhi

I don't think there's anything wrong with that Blue, and your friends should really show some respect for your personal decisions. The thing I hate the most is when people combine their surnames (especially ones with already combined surnames) and end up being Louise and Mark Smith-Schriber-Lewisham-Perdew-Gabrianni-Schoemaker. It's an abomination!
    Don't cry, don't regret and don't blame
    Weak find the whip, willing find freedom
    Towards the sun, carry your name
    In warm hands you are given
    Ask the wind for the way
    Uncertainty's gone, your path will unravel
    Accept all as it is and do not blame
    God or the Devil
    ~Born to Live - Mavrik~

Charlie Boy II is offline Registered User
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    That's nice Blue. I'd be honoured if my wife changed her last name to my last name.
    Is it burnin'? Well, f-ck, now you're learnin'.

Nothing wrong with it at all. I don't think it has anything to do with giving up an identity as much as it does the symbolizing the union of a new family.

If it bothers you ask your husband to give up his last name and take yours. It happens....Jack White did it when he married Meg White. His original name was John Anthony Gillis.
    Completely baffled by a backward indication
    That an inspired word will come across your tongue
    Hands moving upward to propel the situation
    Have simply halted
    And now the conversation's done

I am the EgGmAn

I think it's a personal decision. I know one of my ex's mom who kept her last name to file taxes separately.

Hilariously, all the women and gender studies professors at my school (pretty militant feminists) have changed their last names to their spouses' with the exception of the ones in lesbian relationships. Go figure. Maybe not so much of a feminist issue?

If you're comfortable with it, more power to you. Wouldn't let your friends opinion sway you.

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I changed my name, Blue, for the sake of a cohesive family. I think its more important if you are having kids. I definitely wouldn't have, if there were no kids. If I had to do it again, I doubt I would have done it today. Its a bigger deal than you think. Consider it carefully.

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I don't believe in "feminist bullcrap". It's a slanderous term made up by neoconservatives. Who cares what name you use?
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

just do what you want to do and tell your friends to go fuk themselves.
    baby ya hustle. but me i hustle harder.

Even if you didn't change your name, you'd still have your father's last name, hahahaha.

bluesummer is offline Whatever.
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I just hate the idea that I'm being pegged as some mindless, conservative pussy. I'm very liberal on the whole.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. - Mohandas Gandhi

Yeah, aren't you going to make your future husband go on 'paternal' leave? Haha, my spellchecker doesn't even pick up that word.

I hope by now you've figured out how to make a guy lactate

Gribble is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    "What's in a name? That which we call a rose
    By any other name would smell as sweet."
    God, so atrocious in the Old Testament, so attractive in the New--the Jekyl and Hyde of sacred romance.
    -Mark Twain

If people are good only because they fear punishment and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
    -Albert Einstein

Satire at its best, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by bluesummer View Post
    So, I'm getting married in around 2 and a half months, and I've decided to change my last name. Not that it was really much of a 'decision', I fully intended to do it right from the start.

So then for the last year or so, my female friends have been asking me if I'm going to change it. When I say "Yeah, of course," they kind of scrunch up their faces and say "Oh, reallly? You're gonna do that huh. Okay." Then I get the whole tirade about me not being some man's piece of property, and that's so old-fashioned, and why should I give up my identity for 'some man'.

First of all, he is not 'some man'. He's my best friend and the future father of my kids. Secondly, I'm quite secure in myself and my individuality. I could change my name to Princess Leia and it wouldn't change who I am. What is the big freakin' deal?
    This is irritating me now.

Am I really so old fashioned? Is everybody else really buying into this whole feminist line of thinking? Gah.
    I think the UK must be ten years behind you lot and because it's the norm here to take the mans last name and it's never been any different.

Tradition still has a strong hold here.

And I don't buy this feminist bullshit.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast