+ Follow This Topic

Thread: tiay updated

tiay updated

thought I'd update you guys since I've been gone a bit. I was on vacation, which was longer than planned (I dislike RyanAir!). I had a super hectic time getting accommodation for second year of college, which today sorted itself out and I have a great place (i'm soooo relieved). My BF visited me and my family; we hadn't seen each other for almost a year. Had a wonderful time! Wow. I'm going to miss him so damn much. Didn't loose my virginity, but did have a ton of fun, if you know what I mean. Everything is going really well for us.

Hey, I'd also really appreciate some college livin' advice from you guys. I'm moving into a house with two other girls, and I'm just wondering how all kinds of things should be done.. how are chores shared fairly? how do we split the cost of food? things to avoid? how to keep eating healthy on a student budget?
    before you ask, the reason I didn't yet go through all this in the first year was because I lived in 'digs', which is living with a family and they basically cook for you and take care of everything- it's a really nice way to start living away from home but I really need to become more independent.

well I'm gonna go to sleep now but i'll be back tomorrow

King Zarathu Guest
    As for the chores, do what I do in my house with my mom and sister. Clean up YOUR mess, and take the initiative to clean up after others when they forget to or something happens. Remember not to take their shit and be taken advantage of.

As for food, I suggest you buy your own food but when you're going to eat together, just split the total sum into 3. As for eating healthy, there are plenty of things you can do. Salad, chicken noodle soup, and things like that can be cheap and give you what you need. Stay away from dairy though.

As far as everything else--can I make love to you?

Hey... I'm still semi-new here, so I don't really know the background to all of this... are you overseas for school? Where and for what? Sounds cool...

Ah, yes... living with other college students...

where to start...

I lived all of last year with 2 good friends of mine... BAD IDEA!! Now, I guess I am an independant person, but I just could not handle the garbage that went on... the one would stay up until 2 in the morning blaring the tv right next to my wall... leave crap out in the kitchen... NEVER take out the garbage... bad news imo

Ah, but this is not a ranting thread (yet...)

I would honestly encourage you to be nice and humane, but get to business in a firm and assertive tone EARLY ON... don't let them walk all over you for a SECOND or else it will be permanent... I would have honestly rather been the bitchy roomie who got to sleep at night and didnt have to take out the overflowing garbage and do the dishes all the time than the quiet, non-confrontational one who never slept and put up with a ton of crap... again, this is just me but I would heartily recommend being very firm from the get-go and establishing rules/boundaries etc.

Needless to say, I am living alone this year and LOVING it so far (with a few minor exceptions... )

thanks guys

zarathu- no, you can't There is only one I love.

thinker- I'm studying in my own country, I just happen to be in a long distance relationship.

gah, I gotta run, i'll write more later!

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Living with roommates can be VERY difficult. In fact, I think it is harder than anything you'll be doing at school. I suggest you buy your own food, but be prepared for the girls you are living with to help themselves to it.

The bigger concerns are life style incompatabilities. If you are very studious, you will likely end up with someone who is a partier, and when you want to study, they will want to have friends in your room. I suggest you get used to studying in the library. Also, the neat person/sloppy person is a very common problem. Try having girls agree to a small fine if they leave a mess for someone else to clean up, which can be saved up throughout the year and spent on dinner for you all. Having friends sleep over (including boyfriends) is sometimes problematic, so I would address this before it comes up.

Ideally, you should try to work out the ground rules for these things before they become problems, and then you will have to learn to pick your battles. Good luck.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

yee, this is sounding like a lot of fun already.

I soooo need to try to keep eating healthy, maybe do some working out too. I don't want to be having instant food all year.. I need some good basics.. pasta, rice, salad, apples.. ? plus some meats or i'll become anemic again..
    Ahh, it all starts with good intentions.. Last year I ate a lot of pot noodles. wow. they had that nasty monosodium glutamate stuff in them.

Vash- hm, yeah, I'm studious and a bit introverted and I hardly ever drink. So, not a party person. Most of my classmates are, more so than me. I'm really determined to not let it become a party house though. I know the girls i'm moving in with and they're both good people and they do their work. I hope at least one of them knows how to cook......

I did a course before college (2004/05), and there was one guy there who I really got along well with, sat next to each other from day one, had intelligent conversations, etc. I still visit him sometimes and he's friends with my BF. There's nobody like that in my year of college sure they're nice people.. but nobody quite like that. *sigh* o well.. just three more years..

Quote Originally Posted by Tiay View Post
    thought I'd update you guys since I've been gone a bit. I was on vacation, which was longer than planned (I dislike RyanAir!). I had a super hectic time getting accommodation for second year of college, which today sorted itself out and I have a great place (i'm soooo relieved). My BF visited me and my family; we hadn't seen each other for almost a year. Had a wonderful time! Wow. I'm going to miss him so damn much. Didn't loose my virginity, but did have a ton of fun, if you know what I mean. Everything is going really well for us.

Hey, I'd also really appreciate some college livin' advice from you guys. I'm moving into a house with two other girls, and I'm just wondering how all kinds of things should be done.. how are chores shared fairly? how do we split the cost of food? things to avoid? how to keep eating healthy on a student budget?
    before you ask, the reason I didn't yet go through all this in the first year was because I lived in 'digs', which is living with a family and they basically cook for you and take care of everything- it's a really nice way to start living away from home but I really need to become more independent.

well I'm gonna go to sleep now but i'll be back tomorrow
    So you go to Uni in Ireland?
    Live together. Die alone - [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvi_RCM3FAM[/url]