+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Social "scientists"

DoesntMatter is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"

Social "scientists"

Social "scientists" have written some of the most pretentious literature ever published. I was just reading some of the material for my class called "Social Inequality" and these people are off the fuccking chart for being full of themselves. They think using the word "foodstuffs" instead of merely "food" will give their writing some more academic integrity or something. They love the word "function" but probably couldn't do shit with the simplest of REAL functions, those being the ones in the world of math

And common sense just doesn't apply. I can't say "the reason we have lots of these poor people is because they are too lazy to put forth the work to outdo the others and therefore suck at life." Instead we have to blame imaginery social barriers preventing them from getting into good schools and making good money

Not even a real class with material worthy of studying

Also, I would like to say that reading Karl Marx has made me wonder how ANYONE could have been dumb enough to believe he had good ideas. The guy was fuccking retarded beyond help

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    It's clear from the various forms of Communism that people took what they liked from Marx's ideas and scrapped the rest.

Quite like one of his quotes though.

"A spider conducts operations that resemble those of a weaver, and a bee puts to shame many an architect in the construction of her cells. But what distinguishes the worst architect from the best of bees is this, that the architect raises his structure in imagination before he erects it in reality "

But to be honest I think that many of the issues are too complex to be summed up in "common sense". The thing is to find the point between a naïve summary and an overworked essay.
    Last edited by Lipp; 25-09-08 at 07:32 AM.

DoesntMatter is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Actually, Marx was the one who simplified things way too much. It's too bad such a dumbass had so much influence

anachronistic Guest
    Yeah well if you read some of the earliest science, you'd think that was total crap too. Psychology/sociology haven't been around for nearly as long, and Karl Marx deserves more credit than you give him.

If you think it's such crap, why don't you do something better? There's your influence in work, right there DM.

are you taking a sociology class?
    baby ya hustle. but me i hustle harder.

Quote Originally Posted by DoesntMatter View Post
    I can't say "the reason we have lots of these poor people is because they are too lazy to put forth the work to outdo the others and therefore suck at life." Instead we have to blame imaginery social barriers preventing them from getting into good schools and making good money

Do you think that all poor people are lazy?

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Dasein View Post
    Do you think that all poor people are lazy?
    I think that the vast majority of working poor made bad decisions at an earlier age and have difficulties raising their standard due to kids, lack of education, lack of outside support system.

anachronistic Guest
    Well, there are lots of poor people who never really had the opportunity to make something of themselves in this capitalistic country; never had the opportunity to go to school or do any of that stuff.

DM you're just a rich white kid. What do you know about poor people? Ever had to live off of food from the dumpster? I actually know someone who did. They did get to make it through high school, though. I helped them. They had to take a year out of high school to save up some money for their future though... and now they are going to school to become a carpenter.
    Last edited by anachronistic; 25-09-08 at 08:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DoesntMatter View Post
    And common sense just doesn't apply. I can't say "the reason we have lots of these poor people is because they are too lazy to put forth the work to outdo the others and therefore suck at life." Instead we have to blame imaginery social barriers preventing them from getting into good schools and making good money
    Ahh! Sociology..
    If you can't stop the Wind, then you can't stop the Storm.

Most of the working poor in Los Angeles work very hard, and for very little money. especially the illegal immigrants.

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I'm not even factoring in homeless bums and transients, there's zero effort there.

Quote Originally Posted by shh! View Post
    Most of the working poor in Los Angeles work very hard, and for very little money. especially the illegal immigrants.
    Mucho travajo.., poco dinero..
    If you can't stop the Wind, then you can't stop the Storm.

anachronistic Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Frasbee View Post
    I'm not even factoring in homeless bums and transients, there's zero effort there.
    Don't be an arrogant dickwad.

Quote Originally Posted by Frasbee View Post
    A large percentage of them are schizophrenic or have other severe mental illnesses. I don't think we can hold them to the same level of expectation as a healthy person.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast