+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Dating Differences

Dating Differences

I am happily in a relationship and have been for quite some time now. My fiancé is the same race as me and we also share the same religion and we are very compatible so I've never had to reflect on this. My friend have recently started seeing a man from the Middle East and she really likes him but is concerned about her future with him. She is worried about them being compatible in the end in terms of religion and culture in general. My questions are

1) would you date someone of different race or culture?
    2) would you date someone with different social class?
    3) do they have to be financially on your level?
    4) would you date someone with different religion?

Please be honest, mature and respectful. I know we all are of a big great mixing bowl . The truth is that we all have our opinions and preferences. So please share.

1. Race has never mattered. Culture can lead to issues but that's unless the couple want work out the differences. (See the movie "Not without my Daughter" for a culture difference where one refuses to work it out.)

2. Sure; but I am a low class so I can't have a say in it.

3. That's something like the social class. I don't have any say in that.

4. Yes, as long as they respect my beliefs. I will always respect their religion.

weird question

Yes to everything as long as nothing interferes with my happiness, the happiness of my SO and the relationship itself

Quote Originally Posted by NiaPeach View Post
    1. Yes, I have dated many women from different races and cultures.
    2. Yes, I have dated some women from a different social class. I'm middle class, and I have sometimes dated women who were poor. I may have also dated women who were rich, but if so, I wasn't aware of it.
    3. They do not have to be financially on my level, though my life would have been easier if my current and my previous girlfriend had been at least lower middle class in income.
    4. Yes, I have dated women with a different religion, mostly Christians but also a couple of Muslims. I'm an atheist, so I don't care much about religion as long as it stays out of my way.

As for your friend, I think that she has good reason to be concerned about dating a Muslim. According to the Qu'ran, she will be expected to eventually convert. And even under the most liberal possible interpretation of Islam, that means that she will be taking a more passive, secondary role in her relationship, especially if she marries the guy. Yeah, yeah, Islam has this whole concept of how separate but equal is good for women, but in actual practice, it results in the systematic oppression of Muslim women.
    Good decisions come from experience. Experience comes from bad decisions.

bluesummer is offline Whatever.
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    1) would you date someone of different race or culture? I was previously married to someone of another race/culture. People assume the reason we divorced was cultural divide, but I can assure you it was actually the least of our problems.
    2) would you date someone with different social class? Depends. I wouldn't have much in common with someone TOO far out of my social class in either direction, and I'd consider myself solidly white collar middle class.
    3) do they have to be financially on your level? No. I've dated men with less, the same, and more money than me.
    4) would you date someone with different religion? Unfortunately this is a deal breaker for me. I'm non-religious and while I'm extremely accepting and open-minded, I find it very difficult to meet religious people that can't keep their faith to themselves. It's especially important to me in the prospect of child raising as I refuse to have children if they are expected to be raised in a specific faith.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. - Mohandas Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by NiaPeach View Post
    1) Uhh...who the **** would actually say no to this?
    2) Yes as long as they're not sterotypically ghetto poor or stereotypically elitist rich bureaucrats.
    3) Well I'm not exactly ballin right now so it's not that hard to be financially on my level. My main stipulation is that she has a career (not just a job) or is working diligently toward a career that doesn't make her miserable.
    4) I believe we are aliens sent here to preserve a race from another part of the galaxy/universe/a different dimension as a last resort for them to save themselves from imminent extinction from some apocalypse be it a comet they couldn't stop, a supernova, a black hole, the deterioration/destabilization of the energy waves in their dimension, etc. So my answer here kind of has to default to "yes" or else I will be alone for the rest of my life.
    Last edited by dickriculous; 16-10-13 at 01:09 AM.

Ooo kay. Thank you