+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Long distance, First Time Meeting, Possible Catfish?

Long distance, First Time Meeting, Possible Catfish?

I have been talking to a girl for almost a year now via the internet and phone calls. We started dating roughly a month ago. Even as friends we had expressed the desire to see each other in person. I have the opportunity to make that happen. I have a still rather uncertain plan on flying out to visit her at her home located literally on the other side of the country. Most people I have asked say go for it. However, some concerns have been brought to my attention. #1: We have never seen each other a part from pictures. #2: The pictures she posts have raised suspicion of those I trust as being fake. #3... well actually that's pretty much it. I want to go see her. I think it will be a fun time. But perhaps maybe it would not be so safe to go out there all by myself. If there's a middle ground, that would be awesome for us to find, I am just unsure of what that could be. She is broke, as am I. The only reason this is possible is because I will be going for my birthday and I know for a fact that I will have the money by then to make the trip. It's just a matter of should I. I'd like not to think i'm being lied to, but I have the habit of trusting everyone so perhaps that is my downfall. Still, I hope she is legit, but all the doubt pouring in from some of my friends make me nervous. I'm totally confused at what to do.

Can;t you skype or facetime? Then you can see each other in real time....not just pictures.

Just sack up and accept your fate, whatever it may be. Just like on Catfish. There's lots of happy endings on that show, even when people aren't exactly who they say they are.

If you both are so broke that it will difficult to see each other why are you even bothering? Date someone locally.

I just love these posts. Whenever I doubt my sanity or decisionmaking skills I find people who make me seem like I have an IQ of a billion.

Hi Dear Friend,

The scenario of internet dating websites and chat-rooms have increased a lot now days and you would see many people using this as an opportunity to keep their loneliness away. There are always pros and cons to every thing that happen. Frankly speaking, yes, there is a possibility that whatever she has told you so far or whatever pictures she has shared with you might be fake. But, there is nothing wrong to give it a hit. When you both have shown mutual desires to see and meet each other, I feel, there is nothing wrong in going there and spending some quality time together. You really don't know what life has in store for you and when you admire her so much, I feel its worth a shot.

Go for it without being too much manipulative. Also, keep your expectations low. Love the person by his/her heart and not by the materialistic things he posses.

Quote Originally Posted by Heart Healer View Post
    Frankly speaking, yes, there is a possibility that whatever she has told you so far or whatever pictures she has shared with you might be fake.
    Yep. Bet she's a 20 stone truck driver called Bubba who wants you to be his bitch.