+ Follow This Topic
Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast

Thread: Aethist or Religious?

bluesummer is offline Whatever.
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Mishanya View Post

Religions which don't center on God are on the rise. Church of Scientology has 8 million members and counting. Then there are all types of new age religions which are growing in influence and scale (including but not limited to the occult, alchemy, psychics etc)

I agree with this. See, when I said I believed only in 'God', I was painting my view of 'God' with a very broad brush so people got the general meaning. I don't believe in one higher power that controls everything. I don't believe in a big man sitting up on a cloud in heaven....I don't even believe in heaven.

I've seen some inexplicable and amazing things in my life too, that people called the 'unexplained' and try to attribute to gods, or demons, or witchcraft or magic...whatever. I believe that we all belong to a collective energy.....since everything contains energy, everything in the universe. Energies are positive and negative. When you live postively, and surround yourself with positive influences (and therefore positive energy), you feel happy and 'fulfilled'. For some people, prayer is the medium to create that positive energy for themselves. They feel fulfilled, or in their eyes, close to 'God'. 'Evil' to me does exist.....and I've encountered it on powerful levels.....but evil to me is just a strong source of very negative energy. People get consumed by it all the time....depression, anger, suicide....it was just negative energy that they weren't strong enough to counterract.

I think God is just a name for this power that we all feel on some level. Some are more in tune with it than others, and I think this is where that NEED for religion comes in, Mish. People need to put a name and an explanation to this feeling they have. Since I switched over to the no-religion train of thought, and just embraced myself as a conductor of positive and negative energy in this world, things have just made more sense. Almost my entire former-Catholic family has embraced this way of thinking too, on varying levels. Religions like Buddhism and Hinduism at their very base root have the right idea, but in the end they still add in some extra rules and mumbo-jumbo that make it lose some of it's credibility.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. - Mohandas Gandhi

[url]http://t-shirts.cafepress.com/item/atheist-black-tshirt/49343016[/url]
    I am so getting these hahaha!
    "Why are you an atheist?"
    "because I paid attention in science class."

bluesummer is offline Whatever.
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Ha ha, OV.

I would totally wear that at home, but not outside because but I live in a pretty Christian town. I'd probably get chased down by the people that hang out downtown town with the signs that say "Jesus Loves You" and "You are forgiven".
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. - Mohandas Gandhi

Gribble is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    That's a great shirt. I'd wear that on campus.
    God, so atrocious in the Old Testament, so attractive in the New--the Jekyl and Hyde of sacred romance.
    -Mark Twain

If people are good only because they fear punishment and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
    -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by bluesummer View Post
    I've seen some inexplicable and amazing things in my life too, that people called the 'unexplained' and try to attribute to gods, or demons, or witchcraft or magic...whatever. I believe that we all belong to a collective energy.....since everything contains energy, everything in the universe. Energies are positive and negative. When you live postively, and surround yourself with positive influences (and therefore positive energy), you feel happy and 'fulfilled'. For some people, prayer is the medium to create that positive energy for themselves. They feel fulfilled, or in their eyes, close to 'God'. 'Evil' to me does exist.....and I've encountered it on powerful levels.....but evil to me is just a strong source of very negative energy. People get consumed by it all the time....depression, anger, suicide....it was just negative energy that they weren't strong enough to counterract.
    Chi?..........

Ha ha, OV.

I would totally wear that at home, but not outside because but I live in a pretty Christian town. I'd probably get chased down by the people that hang out downtown town with the signs that say "Jesus Loves You" and "You are forgiven".
    That is what is fun about it!. I order myself the one that say "Godless Heathen" and "This shirt is being worn by a product of biological evolution, problem? call 1800-you-Ignoramus" lol
    "Why are you an atheist?"
    "because I paid attention in science class."

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I want to pull a Joker (Full Metal Jacket) and wear that shirt with a Jesus fish hat.
    God, so atrocious in the Old Testament, so attractive in the New--the Jekyl and Hyde of sacred romance.
    -Mark Twain

If people are good only because they fear punishment and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
    -Albert Einstein

Religulous by Bill Maher. Anyone heard of it? Is it any good?

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Its not out yet, I think. I'm a regular visitor to [url]www.disbeliefnet.com[/url], tho.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I'd like to see it. Maher's hilarious.

I saw the trailer to Religulous back to back with the trailer for An American Carol. Cracked me up.
    -Mark Twain

-Albert Einstein

DoesntMatter is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Bill Maher is an idiot

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by DoesntMatter View Post
    Bill Maher is an idiot
    Yeah. People with differing opinions are full of shit. Typical conservative remark.
    -Mark Twain

-Albert Einstein

Ha ha, OV.

Nice culture.

But what does Aethist mean?
    Don't expect anything.

DoesntMatter is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Gribble View Post
    Yeah. People with differing opinions are full of shit. Typical conservative remark.
    Well when conservatives can do math and their nonconservative counterparts cannot there is usually some amount of doubt as to the opinions of others

Although let me get this straight: I am NOT saying he is stupid because of his OPINIONS. I am saying he is stupid because he THINKS he is being funny by making ridiculously easy to spot discrepencies between religion and physical science, and invoking the most basic elements of logic to disprove religion in a way that a 5 year old could. Yet atheists think he is funny only because they share a similar opinion and take delight in bashing something very uncreatively

From the Bill Maher anti-Christian propaganda I got a few days ago-

"Why do all-powerful gods speak through prophets instead of just telling their important messages to all of us directly?"

"When a plane goes down, was it God's will for everyone on board to die that day? And if so, how did he book them all on the same flight?"

"Adam and Eve had two sons. Who did they marry and have children with?"

WOW this guy is so fuccking smart!

NO- There is NOTHING smart or FUNNY about what he does

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    You're listing jokes from a stand-up routine. Do you know what jokes are, DM? Do you know what stand-up is? You aren't stupid so don't act stupid. Pull up some serious quotes from the guy and critique them. That's something we can actually have an intelligent discussion on.

Secondly, this idea that conservatives can do math and non-conservatives can't is full of shit. I promise you I can dig up a Larry the Cable Guy lookalike conservative who not only can't do basic algebra, but barely reads on a first grade level. People are ignorant on both sides of the line. And as you've proven again and again, they're also arrogant on both sides.
    Last edited by Gribble; 02-10-08 at 05:19 AM.
    -Mark Twain

-Albert Einstein

Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast