+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Help: I fell in love with a colleague and told him my feelings, but...?

Help: I fell in love with a colleague and told him my feelings, but...?

Hi, I recently had a crush on a male colleague who's 15 years older than me. I'm 30 and got to admit that this is the first guy I really love in my life. I think it started as some kind of crush but then I discovered that it was love.

He's been in some professional crisis and won't know the outcome until two-three months later. It is highly private but he told me about his problem and I have been helping him. After 2 month, I finally gained the guts to tell him the other day that if it is possible to go beyond the professional relationship we have.

He first asked me if I know how old he was. After I told him about my feelings, he told me that he was still recovering from some painful experience from both personal as well as professional life and that he had to focus on the professional side till two-three months later.

He then asked me to ask him again when the issue got solved and that I could date other people during this time. He also said that he likes me a lot.

What do you think? My issue is what exactly is going on in his mind. Is this just another guy's way to say "No" or is he really not ready for it? Is he just busy with his career or is he not interested in me? Why asking me to ask him again and to date other people now if he likes me a lot? It hurts to think about these questions but I just cannot stop. I am confused. Should I wait for him? Please help.

take whatg he says and do it because no sense in you waiting for him
    Always forgive your enemies - nothing annoys them so much.
    Oscar Wilde

What lies behind us, and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
    ~ by Ralph Waldo Emerson ~

Why? It's just several months and currently I do not have better options. Does this mean he is not into me?

Quote Originally Posted by seekinglove View Post
    Why? It's just several months and currently I do not have better options. Does this mean he is not into me?
    He's open to the idea but doesn't have a strong opinion yet. Does that make sense?

Basically, he would be willing to give a date a shot but it's not so important to him that he's willing to risk paying less attention to his career crisis right now.

It sounds like he might have a problem with the age difference and enjoys you as a friend but is unsure if he wants to go further.

If you feel so strongly about him, then wait and ask him again. But be prepared for possible rejection and taking his answer as the final word on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gratedwasabi View Post
    He's open to the idea but doesn't have a strong opinion yet. Does that make sense?

Basically, he would be willing to give a date a shot but it's not so important to him that he's willing to risk paying less attention to his career crisis right now.

It sounds like he might have a problem with the age difference and enjoys you as a friend but is unsure if he wants to go further.

If you feel so strongly about him, then wait and ask him again. But be prepared for possible rejection and taking his answer as the final word on it.
    Thanks for the reply. You are probably right--the crisis is indeed very serious and he has to deal with it. It is almost like a live or die thing--if the outcome is bad, he will have to leave and find a new job, maybe in a new country. What's worse, he told me that even if he won, he will leave the place. I am willing to move with him but he is not sure if I should because people like me here. I have been working closely with him these days to help him to survive this crisis.

I told him that I don't have an issue with the age and that I like mature men. I guess my issue is more about this "Ask me again when this case is solved" thing. Why can't he just tell me the answer after these months? If I ask again, am I risking being rejected twice?

Well he was pretty damn honest with you. He has other things he's dealing with now and can't afford to divert his attention away from those things at the moment. Doesnt sound or seem like he turned you down at all.....he was just being real with you.

If I was facing a career crisis at work, the last thing that I would want to do is get into an unprofessional relationship with a co-worker. At best, it would undermine both my professional reputation and hers. At worst, the relationship could go wrong and turn into a sexual harassment case.
    Good decisions come from experience. Experience comes from bad decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by IncognitoSir View Post
    Well he was pretty damn honest with you. He has other things he's dealing with now and can't afford to divert his attention away from those things at the moment. Doesnt sound or seem like he turned you down at all.....he was just being real with you.
    Thanks for the reply. I understand that he might have feelings in me too. Glad that you do not think his reply as another way to say NO.

Quote Originally Posted by VincenzoG91 View Post
    If I was facing a career crisis at work, the last thing that I would want to do is get into an unprofessional relationship with a co-worker. At best, it would undermine both my professional reputation and hers. At worst, the relationship could go wrong and turn into a sexual harassment case.
    Really?! Well I have not thought that much about it yet. But maybe you are right.

So here is my plan, I will be professional with him and be a good friend when he needs me. After everything is over and if he still has feelings in me, I shall wait for him to let me know the answers instead of pushing him to give me the answers. Meanwhile, I will stay strong and independent and make new friends and see what happens after that...

Quote Originally Posted by seekinglove View Post
    Thanks for the reply. I understand that he might have feelings in me too. Glad that you do not think his reply as another way to say NO.

Really?! Well I have not thought that much about it yet. But maybe you are right.

So here is my plan, I will be professional with him and be a good friend when he needs me. After everything is over and if he still has feelings in me, I shall wait for him to let me know the answers instead of pushing him to give me the answers. Meanwhile, I will stay strong and independent and make new friends and see what happens after that...
    This is a fantastic plan. You seem very intelligent and I hope it works out for you!

Quote Originally Posted by Gratedwasabi View Post
    This is a fantastic plan. You seem very intelligent and I hope it works out for you!
    Thanks for your message. Me too. Love sometimes makes fool of everyone and I hope time would prove everything.

girl68 is offline little person, big mouth
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Good plan. Keep it professional Date if you have the option to! Once it's over expect nothing, if something does happen great, if not oh well.

Sounds like you got it all figured out OP, good for you!