+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reading...

Reading...

Hey people, when i go back to school forr 6th form have to read 15 books for english. So i thoiught i give myself a headstart during the summer, but the thing is when i read books i cant take the story in or my mind wanders somewhere else. Am i doing something wrong?
    Live together. Die alone - [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvi_RCM3FAM[/url]

Naw. Probably the books just don't interests you. I read my own choices of books that I don't get bored off. I usually finish em well fast too. But if like my english teacher set me sumin' to read. I either just do not concentrate on it or I just get a headache from readin' it. I don't know. That's just me really.

I have to agree with Skye. . . when I read something that interests me its like making a new friend - you abosrb all sorts of details. Reading something because you have to is usually a very grueling task.

However, something that is usually helpful is to try to make the required reading a more active thing - - take notes, buy the Cliff Notes to read WITH the book (you don't get the whole picture if you just use the notes!) - - etc.

I think the mistake a lot of us make is thinking the state-appointed shrink is our friend. - Jack Handy

I dont read period. Books just give me headaches. I find no pleasure what-so-ever from reading a book.

I love readin' my type of books that I choose to read. It's well good once you get into em.

I love to read, and what I read is really diverse.

How about you Skye - what's your "type" when it comes to books?

I think the mistake a lot of us make is thinking the state-appointed shrink is our friend. - Jack Handy

Uh. I read books by Jane Green. I read every single one of her books and it's good. I love it. I read books like.. Uh.. I don't know how to explain it. It's hard. Partyin'. Love. Life. Death. Marriage. But those modern type of books. Uhhh.. I'm really bad at explainin' or describin'. Sorry.

A subject actually worth talking about...I love to read...murder/mystery or horror! WAHOO-no romance shit though...I get so absorbed in some of my books its unreal. I read everynight for years and quit this past year but picked it up again...helps me to rewind, relax, and fall asleep-then again if the book is too good I cant put it down! I stay away from the fantasy stuff too-a friend of mine is into that dragon-unicorn stuff and just cant do it!
    everything happens for a reason...beginning to wonder why.

I too avoid fantasy but for Christmas three friends of mine each gave me a book from George RR Martin's Fire and Ice theory - there's not ALOT of magic per say but the author did something really interesting . . .he changes the view point - one Chapter may be from the king's view point and the next his wife. Not that every character gets a turn or anything - he picks a few characters and you follow them until they are no more. The result of that is that characters you initially really dislike and find evil you get to see their perspective and maybe they aren't as bad as you thought.

But Squirrely - I too cover a wide variety of topics except for romance and *most * fantasy - can't say all thanks to George and three Marines. LOL

Jules have you read "Purpose Driven Life"?

I don't read fantasy stuff either. It doesn't work for me.

I wonder why I cant get into that...my friend says its like another world or something...but shes older and still watches cartoons...not that theres anything wrong with watching cartoons when youre older but I dont think she wants to face reality-and just wants to stay in HER fantasy world...

Quote Originally Posted by squirrley
    Jules have you read "Purpose Driven Life"?
    Yep I read that - - there was one chapter I really liked ALOT - - trying to remember which one.

I am really embarrassed, not only did I read this book - - I TAUGHT on this book and I can't remember which chapter resonated so strongly with me.

However I do know that my high school boys chuckled everytime we talked about being created "for God's Pleasure" - - I had to admit, it jsut sounds wrong.
    Last edited by jslaughter; 19-06-04 at 02:16 AM.

I loved that book...a couple if years ago when I was flyn home to MI we were on a layover...and this girl sitting next to me pulled that book out of her backpack and of course we started talking...its just amazing...it gave me so much inspiration.

Quote Originally Posted by squirrley
    I loved that book...a couple if years ago when I was flyn home to MI we were on a layover...and this girl sitting next to me pulled that book out of her backpack and of course we started talking...its just amazing...it gave me so much inspiration.

I agree - it was the part about restoring relationships that I really liked.

Breezy once mentioned a book called the Celestine Prophacy and I have read that too. I do try to cover different aspects of spirituality - - there's so much to learn!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast