+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Girl Genius

Girl Genius

Check out this girl's website at the bottom (I hope this is allowed). It's not a forum or advertising, just a personal website about her that she designed. She's 14 years old and is working towards getting her doctorates in nanophotonics. She's the nations youngest PhD student. A black belt in taekwondo, will make world record or whatever for youngest female doctorates. She skipped from fourth grade into college. And passed college with a 3.96 average before going on to graduate school.

Oh. And I'd just like to point out that the youngest, probably most talented child in our nation has enough sense to play the best instrument ever made.

Alexi

[url]http://aliasabur.com/[/url]

I read about her years ago in my High School psychology class. I read a NYT article entitled "Reading at 8 Months Was Not Enough." How raw is that? But about her being a Black Belt, I teach Tae Kwon Do and she got her belt before turning 12, kids that get their belts quickly really aren't legitimate black belts and their bodies change so much during puberty that all their moves are no longer natural so strike the black belt of her record. But she is ****ing brilliant. Also, she wants to disprove a few of Einstein's theories, this girl is going places.
    I gave you my heart
    I gave you my soul
    Now I'm just another number
    at the Center for Disease Control

I know. I think it's amazing that after the fourth grade the school board talked to her mother and said, "Our public schools can't do anything more for her. Time to go to college." Yeah. This girl could be THE ONE to get that cold fusion working easily and efficiently. Who knows? On the one hand I'm jealous cause she's the person who's good at whatever they want to be good at, on the other I feel bad because she'll never lead a "normal" life. And while it may be better in certain ways, she may end up going mad in the future (as happens to many bonafide genuises).

Alexi

I understand. Graduate school at 14 is fine and dandy.. but what about her childhood? Did she just lose it?

Her parents say they keep bringing her to her friend's house. And while her brain is superfast at absorbing material, she still talks and acts and somewhat "thinks" as a 14-yr old. The articles say she still uses, "Like" and "as" way too frequently (as most adolescent girls do) and still talks to her friends about the latest romance-comedy movies and crushes and girly stuff like that. Just that she happens to be a fourteen year old girl that can file away information for recall VERY well.

Her parents are being careful not to pressure her to join gifted and talented programs either and are letting her do what she feels she'd like to do. They want her to be the leader of her life. Which is more than I can say about my parents even STILL at the age of 21....

Alexi