+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Am I too overprotective?

Am I too overprotective?

Plain and simple. My gf just turned 21. I'm 20. I'm a recovering alcoholic and I had a fake ID for a while. She's gone to the bars once for her 21st but now she's wanting to go a lot more. It bothers me a lot because I won't be able to be there when things get crazy or out of hand. She's done some crazy things in the past and the fact that they've happened really bothers me. My question is if I'm being too protective of her when she tells me not to wait in the truck for her outside of the clubs and bars. I had a bad experience when I was 18 and bar hopping and club rocking. All of the bars and clubs up here get nasty and rowdy. She tells me I'm
    Not letting her be free only because I'm 50 feet away from the bar entrance. Sorry if I'm paranoid? Idk. Where am I on this one? Am I wrong or right?

i think your girlfriend is being very immature. she knows you're a recovering alcoholic yet she wants you to hang out at bars with her? seriously? than again, she's still very young and i understand her desire to party. i think you're sweet for wanting to be around to protect her should anything happen, but she's old enough to take care of herself.

girl68 is offline little person, big mouth
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I think you're being very invasive. If you want to be there for her, give her a ride, and pick her up. Waiting in the truck is just straight up creepy.

The deeper issue here is not you wanting to protect her, it's the fact you don't trust her.