+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Would you dob?

Would you dob?

Hi, an acquaintance has put their hand in the company safe, by quite a considerable amount. Borrowed was the term they used. I received the I' am up shit creek/can you help me txt. Can't help $$ even if I wanted to. I am actuallly wondering whether to dob them in. Its theft and my conscience tells me I should.

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    It could be a test (I've had occasion to test employee ethics). Or it could be real. Best is to keep the txt but do NOT reply. Pretend you never received it.

If you rat on them, make sure its anonymously. If your ethics say to alert authority, might wait a bit and then do this discreetly w/o naming names. Verbally, can work if you have a *trusted* manager with some actual authority. Be wary tho--they will likely ask you to come forward and that kind of shit spatters wide, especially in a small company where everyone knows everyone's business. Even if they justifiable lose their job, you will still be known as a whistleblower. Otherwise, you can type an anonymous note (do this from home, not work) and send it to a higher up, in this case I would recommend someone above your immediate supervisor.

Delicate dancing, so good luck.

I definitely think you need to tell the company in some fashion. If you do choose to do it anonymously, leave some sort of trail should you need to prove it was you at any point.
    "Oh Lord it's hard to be humble, when you're perfect in every way. I can't wait to look in the mirror, cause I get better loking each day. To know me is to love me, I must be a hell of a man. Oh Lord it's hard to be humble, but I'm doing the best that I can." Mac Davis

Gribble is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I think you should threaten to tell the company if your coworker refuses to give you a share.
    God, so atrocious in the Old Testament, so attractive in the New--the Jekyl and Hyde of sacred romance.
    -Mark Twain

If people are good only because they fear punishment and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
    -Albert Einstein

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Gribble View Post
    I think you should threaten to tell the company if your coworker refuses to give you a share.
    Depends on how much.

Trouble with ppl who 'borrow' from the company is they are never smart enough to take enough so they only need to do it once. Its the repeat thieves who get caught. Plus, this co-worker was dumb enough to be observed. That already tells you not to get involved. Who knows who else knows?

Quote Originally Posted by IndiReloaded View Post
    Best is to keep the txt but do NOT reply. Pretend you never received it.
    this is what i would do.
    baby ya hustle. but me i hustle harder.

Consider it as a joke and do nothing about it.

Companies steal all of the time.. just look at Goldman's and JPMorgan at the moment, will the full consent of the last 5 or so administrations.

They're coming for our superannuation/SS/and 401k's next. Bank deposits are also a distinct possibility.

I say... have a smile inside and pretend it was all a joke.