• Yellow Gold

1 5.88%
  • Silver

2 11.76%
+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "The" Engagement Ring!

"The" Engagement Ring!

Women, are at times very hard to understand.. What women want is even a harder concept to grasp. However interesting that subject is, that is not what I want to talk about on a larger scale. I recently got engaged to my fiance and I proposed with a beautiful platinum ring that I've worked hard for. She absolutely loved it! I've invested a lot of planning and time until I picked out the perfect engagement ring. After this experience I understand how difficult picking out an engagement ring can be.
    My time on the spotlight is done, and so I want everyone's input on what the perfect engagement ring should be? Which engagement ring would a guy prefer to give, and which engagement ring would a women would like to receive? Would you go with Platinum over other metals and why?

Gribble is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    The perfect engagement ring is not a ring at all but a certificate showing that the enormous sum of cash I would have wasted on a cheap chunk of metal and rock has been put to use feeding and sheltering children. If that pisses her off I know I picked the wrong woman.
    God, so atrocious in the Old Testament, so attractive in the New--the Jekyl and Hyde of sacred romance.
    -Mark Twain

If people are good only because they fear punishment and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
    -Albert Einstein

Its not how much it costs that matters its the thought...and the fact that is looks good on her finger when she shows it off to her friends and family... I would firmly suggest gold whether it be white gold or reg. gold...silver is way to tacky gold is traditional

i would say a white gold princess cut 3 stone diamond ring lol not that i've researched this

but to be honest i think its more important what it symbolises. i want a marriage not just a wedding/ring

i've had a promise ring for 3 years, it's white gold with a pink little stone in the shape of a heart it cost £30 and its the best.

i would want mathcing wedding bands though - ooooh ones that somehow fit together
    Gee..I thought I saw a pussycat. ~PCD

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I hate rings and I'll frown upon any prospect wife that expects one.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    You've been brainwashed into equating a lump of metal shaped into a ring with some sort of symbolism of eternal unity.

It's capitalist bull. A sham to make a buck. Love isn't buying things for people. Love isn't relfected in the size of a rock. Jewelry is just a diversion. It distracts from what really counts.
    God, so atrocious in the Old Testament, so attractive in the New--the Jekyl and Hyde of sacred romance.
    -Mark Twain

If people are good only because they fear punishment and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
    -Albert Einstein

i'd rather have a boat.
    baby ya hustle. but me i hustle harder.

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by misombra View Post
    i'd rather have a boat.
    Damn right.

Least you can do something with a boat.

Have sex in it and stuff.

Plus you can name it whatever you want.

hells yeah! i'd have someone tag my name all ny subway style all over it.
    baby ya hustle. but me i hustle harder.

I'd probably try to think outside of the box - attempt to find a ring material that doesn't degrade and looks decent, but not necessarily expensive. It's a bit dull for everyone to go for the same thing.

Like synthetic quartz, if there's any way to make it into a ring. But yeah, such jobs are of course difficult to find. And if possible a red pigmentation of it would be sweet.

Last edited by Lipp; 14-11-08 at 05:41 AM.

I think there's something about a pretty, in good taste ring that's highly sentimental not only from cultural perspective, but also personal one. It doesn't have to be something expensive, but something reflective of both partner's personalities, aesthetics and emotions. Something about her wearing an ornament that came from you that's very indicative of the future. This shouldn't be subject to amount of money spent on it though.
    Don't cry, don't regret and don't blame
    Weak find the whip, willing find freedom
    Towards the sun, carry your name
    In warm hands you are given
    Ask the wind for the way
    Uncertainty's gone, your path will unravel
    Accept all as it is and do not blame
    God or the Devil
    ~Born to Live - Mavrik~

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Mishanya View Post
    I think there's something about a pretty, in good taste ring that's highly sentimental not only from cultural perspective, but also personal one. It doesn't have to be something expensive, but something reflective of both partner's personalities, aesthetics and emotions. Something about her wearing an ornament that came from you that's very indicative of the future. This shouldn't be subject to amount of money spent on it though.
    I was told that "3 months pay" is the least a guy should pay for an engagement ring.

Quote Originally Posted by Frasbee View Post
    I was told that "3 months pay" is the least a guy should pay for an engagement ring.
    Whoever said that showed their true colour and they wouldn't be a person I associate with
    Don't cry, don't regret and don't blame
    Weak find the whip, willing find freedom
    Towards the sun, carry your name
    In warm hands you are given
    Ask the wind for the way
    Uncertainty's gone, your path will unravel
    Accept all as it is and do not blame
    God or the Devil
    ~Born to Live - Mavrik~

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    The price for an engagement ring can vary considerably depending on the materials used, the value of the gemstone, and the retailer. A conventional buying price ranging from two to three months wages for a ring guideline originated from De Beers marketing materials in the early 20th century, in an effort to increase the sale of diamonds.
    They didn't believe this, they just told me what they heard.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Everyone says that. I imagine the diamond miners got that one to spread. It's funny how peer pressure sticks to most people throughout their lives. Got to buy her an expensive ring because... because... that's what somebody said. Meanwhile, if the woman doesn't have something expensive and shiny to showoff she's going to feel embarrassed and her friends are gonna talk behind her back. It's such bullcrap. I'll gladly go without a wife before I join the other rats and willingly march to the piper's tune.
    -Mark Twain

-Albert Einstein

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast