View Poll Results: Do you have what it takes to cancel your TV?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes. I've done it too!

6 50.00%
  • Yes, I'm going to do it now.

0 0%
  • Maybe. I'm thinking about it.

0 0%
  • No. It sounds awesome, but I can't get access to my shows without it.

1 8.33%
  • Screw that. TV is awesome, I'll never get rid of it.

5 41.67%
+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: canceling my TV was an awesome decision

canceling my TV was an awesome decision

i just wanted to put it out there that i am becoming happier and happier with my decision to cancel my TV and go strictly internet. i am finding awesome shows/movies to watch whenever i feel like it on netflix...shows that i would have never come across without netflix's "movies you'll ♥" section. most shows are streamed on their own websites a day later, sometimes even the same night. hulu offers GREAT shows. i don't know what kind of shows everyone else watches, but i pretty much have access to all the shows i would have been watching on TV. i also do a couple things that aren't so legit, but i HATE what has happened with cable and their providers...despicable.

anyways, i was surfing the web a bit and felt like watching something random on netflix. and boom, up comes netflix's suggested instants. i'm scrolling through the options and come across something that made me chuckle...21 jump street. i was like "holy shit, is that for real!?!" who would EVER go out and buy this or actively rent this? haha.
    but here i am, watching 21 jump street on instant netflix (something i pay less than $15 for a month). it's awesome .

thank you netflix for presenting me with a show that i would have never seen again in my life without your suggestion lol.

and i'd just like to note how amazingly BEAUTIFUL johnny depp is in this?
    i'm falling head over heels watching this show...it's hilarious and oddly gratifying at the same time .
    the love you take is equal to the love you make

We decided to abandon television when the digital format switch finally happened. We live in a hilly area, so even with a converter box, we were going to get lousy reception unless we paid extra for satellite or cable. And lousy reception with digital is worse than some static, it's total signal drop. Basic cable around here is $70 per month, more for any kind of worthwhile premium channels. So now we watch our shows online and only use our TV to watch DVDs. Television has been disappointing for a while now... reality shows were interesting at first, but now they seem too samey, and really annoying.
    Good decisions come from experience. Experience comes from bad decisions.

i totally agree. but you can still watch TV on your television . my bf and i have a docking station hooked up to ours. i dock my laptop right into there and voila!, i can watch stuff online on my TV.

we had satellilte for a year and got rid of it...it was DirectTV to be specific. we absolutely hated the service, plus weather was always a factor. raining/windy outside? no reception, it was horrible. we moved in in the winter time when the guy set up the satellite. we asked him if trees were going to be an issue and he said he positioned it so that we'd still get reception even if the leaves grew in. he lied. as soon as spring/summer came along we got spotty reception...and worst of all, we didn't have access to any HD channels. we called them and asked them to downgrade to just standard without the HD to save some money (since we weren't getting any of the channels anyway) and they told us we'd have to pay over $100 for the standard receiver...even though we were going to be mailing them back the HD receiver! we tried cancelling so many times and they just kept sending another idiot over to "try to fix it". it was a complete joke. after months and months of headache we finally got a representative who let us cancel, thank god.

anyways, moral of the story is, cable providers, satellite providers...they all suck. they rip you off like crazy. i don't watch much TV. most of the shows i watch are on premium channels, and i watch a few on basic cable (that are all available online a day later). so i'm completely happy with our choice to get rid of TV. we were paying something like $80 a month for it. now i pay less than $15 for netflix and i think we pay around $50-$60 for high speed internet...can't go wrong.

If I hear really good things about a show, I will try an episode or two. I will watch it online if available, or download a torrent of it, or even just rent the first disc from a local video store. Then I just buy it by seasons and watch it when I'm in the mood. I heard great things about The Wire and rented the first disc, which was great. So I bought the whole series for $90, which is slightly more than the cost of one month of basic cable here. Great series.

i've never seen it, but i've heard good things about it too.

one of my favorite series was six feet under. i just rented the dvd's from netflix. my bf was able to rip the dvd's for me so that i could send them back and get the next discs quicker. i loved it. it's sorta nice waiting for a series to come out on DVD. you can watch them as you want to rather than having to wait each week for the next episode.

you might be able to find movie rental downloads on amazon rather than having to physically go out to the video store.

I voted "yes" even though I have never had a tv. I wish that netflix, hulu and the likes would be available outside US though.

i didn't know they weren't. that sucks.

certain things still have a long way to go though. like i mentioned before, most of the shows i really like are on premium channels...HBO, Showtime. There's HBO Go, which offers online streaming, but you have to have a cable provider and be paying for the service through your provider to get access...defeats the entire point in my opinion. luckily i have a friend who has Fios TV. i split the bill for the HBO with him and he lets me use his login information to get access to HBO online. HBO should really consider offering HBO Go to everyone who is willing to pay for it.

i heard Showtime was going to be coming out with something similar to HBO Go. have no idea if it's going to be the same deal...where you need to be paying for it through cable or FIOS or whatever to get access. really stupid move if they do.

I watch all my shows online and dont use netflix
    Always forgive your enemies - nothing annoys them so much.
    Oscar Wilde

What lies behind us, and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
    ~ by Ralph Waldo Emerson ~

Sonrisa is offline Gwynplaine
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I can't possibly live without my TV
    mo'Dajvo' pa'wIjDaq je narghpu' He'So'bogh SajlIj

i didn't think i could either. but i'm doing just fine. there are still commercials when you stream online, but i feel like they aren't as bad/long as what you have to deal with on regular TV. i can't STAND commercials.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    first of all the quality, there's nothing like watching survivor in HD
    second of all, my russian channels, can't live without them.

you can watch HD on netflix. HBO Go is pretty much all in HD. you can download HD movies on Amazon. you'd be surprised at what you can find in HD on the interwebs.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I guarantee you that the quality won't be the same though, and I am really picky about my visuals and sound. i didn't spend thousands of dollars on home theater not to enjoy it to the fullest

Quote Originally Posted by Sonrisa View Post
    I guarantee you that the quality won't be the same though, and I am really picky about my visuals and sound. i didn't spend thousands of dollars on home theater not to enjoy it to the fullest
    One of my friends has his home theater hooked up to his computer, so when he can surf on a 100" screen, or watch streaming videos or movies or whatever, in stereo sound, while sitting on the couch.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by VincenzoG91 View Post
    One of my friends has his home theater hooked up to his computer, so when he can surf on a 100" screen, or watch streaming videos or movies or whatever, in stereo sound, while sitting on the couch.
    i do that as well i watch all my bluray DVDs on it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast