+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Importance of hair and eye colour

Importance of hair and eye colour

I've noticed that many dating sites ask you to add your hair and eye colour to your profile. Some people seem to add it to description too if they are not in a separate field. Isn't that a bit strange? I can't imagine a less interesting or more shallow feature in a person than that.

Are here some ladies that would actually consider the hair or eye colour when deciding whether they are interested in a guy or not?

Edit: I just came up with an even more useless piece information: astrological sign

Yes. Most people, female or male, have a preference for hair and eye color. Some are less strict about it then others. For example, redheads are my favorite and blonds my least.. yet I've dated almost all blonds. I like blue eyes, but I'm very unpicky about that. And some people totally buy into the astrology thing; I will admit it's kind of interesting because it's often pretty accurate, fairy tale nonsense as it may be.

I'm not sure why you feel this is strange? How is it shallow? Asking for boob size is shallow. Hair and eye color determine a lot about compatibility, they're the two things you notice first and have to see everytime you look at a person. People that are crazy strict and put a certain color for their "desired partner" are silly, but nothing wrong with letting people know. Plus it helps you recognize someone when you first meet.

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I have a strong preference for dark (black) hair and olive skin. I would date someone who didn't fit this description, but I probably wouldn't date someone if I found their hair/eye color to be an absolute turnoff.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

I think all those little details just give you a more complete picture of the person. I mean, none of it needs to be a deal-breaker to be edifying. I met a guy who was a tall blonde economist and a guy who was a dark-haired stocky computer programmer and I didn't prefer one over the other based on those traits. But knowing those traits helped me to form a mental picture of who they were as people. I mean, first name is also not really an important deciding factor (except a guy decided not to date me because we both had the SAME first name), but it is information you would share pretty quickly nontheless when you start talking with someone you met online.

Horoscopes are accurate? Sure, in ones mind anything is true if one believes hard enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Gratedwasabi View Post
    Hair and eye color determine a lot about compatibility
    As in "Ooh, my new husband matches the drapes perfectly"?

How is it shallow? Well, if it really affects the percieved beauty, then it is shallow in the same sense as boob size. Judging someone based on attractiveness is shallow enough but since to me hair/eye colour does not factor into it, it is someting less than shallow. It certainly doesn't contribute to ones personality.

Why do I feel it is strange? As you might have guessed from what I have written, I wouldn't think anyone was more or less attractive if they had a different coloured hair/eyes. I would be quite dissapointed if someone was interested in me just because I have blue eyes.
    Last edited by Yet another guy; 24-12-10 at 09:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Yet another guy View Post
    Horoscopes are accurate? Sure, in ones mind anything is true if one believes hard enough.

As in "Ooh, my new husband matches the drapes perfectly"?

How is it shallow? Well, if it really affects the percieved beauty, then it is shallow in the same sense as boob size. Judging someone based on attractiveness is shallow enough but since to me hair/eye colour does not factor into it, it is someting less than shallow. It certainly doesn't contribute to ones personality.

Why do I feel it is strange? As you might have guessed from what I have written, I wouldn't think anyone was more or less attractive if they had a different coloured hair/eyes. I would be quite dissapointed if someone was interested in me just because I have blue eyes.
    But would you be upset if someone LIKED that you had blue eyes?

People are visual. We're all shallow in ways. Get off your high horse.

I've dated women of all colors and races. I can't really say I have a preference for color. I guess if I could paint a painting of my dream woman and she would come out exactly as I designed her, she would probably have bright blueish-green eyes and auburn hair. Or like the girl in Fifth Element. The girl I am dating now has brown eyes, olive skin; she's a brunette and I find her really attractive. I guess some people just care more about those details. I know for certain, I couldn't date a girl with a butt-chin or nutty cheeks, and I obsess quite a bit about nose and eyebrow shapes. I also can't stand it when a person has rings around their eyes/bags underneath their eyes! Everybody has their preferences.

And I'm really flattered when a girl tells me I have pretty blue eyes. It's true and girls say it all the time, even randomly on the town and on vacation in front of my gf

people on dating sites shouldn't be picky anyways

are you kdiding me? people on dating sites (particularly the women) are probably some of the pickiest people when it comes to dating. especially decent-looking ones with no baggage - they always have unrealistic expectations and have a conceited attitude. i tried it once about three years ago and i went out on a couple of dates and chatted with a few girls. i got sick of reading profiles of girls who were looking for "mr right" and their knight in schining friggin armor to ride in on his gallant white horse. most of the girls around my age either already had kid(s) or some serious psychological issues. and to top it off, THEY WERE ALL STUPID. seriously, they couldn't manage to describe themselves in a short paragraph; they all "like to have *fun*", and they were all typical american girls, blah blah blah, made me wanna bang my head against the wall. i remember this blonde gal i took out - she was texting me like crazy before we even went out on a date and she tried to add me on facebook! after the first date i felt like i didn't have any free time to myself because she was always sending me sms and one day i decided not to respond - boy, she got pissed and never spoke to me again LOL. but anyway, a lot of the girls i wrote to usually rejected me for completely ridiculous things, like occasionally smoking hookah/cigar with my pals and my having a beer or a whiskey before bed to relax. I even had a girl reject me because my parents are divorced! and if you ever do manage to get a relationship that starts out online to work out, it ends up all fubar, because she is mental and wants to cut you up into little tiny pieces and feed you to her persian cat. i am *never* ever doing that shit again.

Quote Originally Posted by Gratedwasabi View Post
    But would you be upset if someone LIKED that you had blue eyes?

People are visual. We're all shallow in ways. Get off your high horse.
    Of course I wouldn't be upset. You're silly. I would compliment her eye colour no matter what it is just in case she feels it's somehow important.

Don't get me wrong. I'm visual too. I wouldn't date someone I wasn't atrracted to. It's just that to me, female beatuy is mostly about shape, not about colour. I wouldn't have expected people have so strong preferences with colour.

There's something else I wanted to write... but I gotta run now.

Quote Originally Posted by doppelgaenger View Post
    are you kdiding me? people on dating sites (particularly the women) are probably some of the pickiest people when it comes to dating. especially decent-looking ones with no baggage - they always have unrealistic expectations and have a conceited attitude. i tried it once about three years ago and i went out on a couple of dates and chatted with a few girls. i got sick of reading profiles of girls who were looking for "mr right" and their knight in schining friggin armor to ride in on his gallant white horse. most of the girls around my age either already had kid(s) or some serious psychological issues. and to top it off, THEY WERE ALL STUPID. seriously, they couldn't manage to describe themselves in a short paragraph; they all "like to have *fun*", and they were all typical american girls, blah blah blah, made me wanna bang my head against the wall. i remember this blonde gal i took out - she was texting me like crazy before we even went out on a date and she tried to add me on facebook! after the first date i felt like i didn't have any free time to myself because she was always sending me sms and one day i decided not to respond - boy, she got pissed and never spoke to me again LOL. but anyway, a lot of the girls i wrote to usually rejected me for completely ridiculous things, like occasionally smoking hookah/cigar with my pals and my having a beer or a whiskey before bed to relax. I even had a girl reject me because my parents are divorced! and if you ever do manage to get a relationship that starts out online to work out, it ends up all fubar, because she is mental and wants to cut you up into little tiny pieces and feed you to her persian cat. i am *never* ever doing that shit again.
    Wow, that is the opposite of my experience with online dating. I mean, except that I do have kids and in the course of online dating I decided I will only date a guy with kids. Of course, while I am decent looking, I wouldn't claim to have NO baggage and would assume anyone who did claim that was lying. I had so much success with online dating that I convinced two friends to try it, and one is now in a long-term happy relationship from it.

I met several interesting, intelligent, funny guys with online dating. I went a little minimalist with my self-description, but I got a lot of compliments on how it was written and read a lot of well-written ones from guys. I made one new friend and met my current bf through oonline dating. And from the friend, I have gotten the details of the male experience. It does seem like the percentage of girls he meets who are batcrap insane is higher than the percentage of crazy guys, but he has had a lot of success as well.

I am in a relationship now that resulted from online dating, and neither of us has tried to cut the other up and feed him//her to our pets.

Quote Originally Posted by doppelgaenger View Post
    people on dating sites (particularly the women) are probably some of the pickiest people when it comes to dating.
    I hear ya. I used to think that online dating was my only chance for a relationship. Then I started reading those profiles. Only a handful of women of appropriate age nearby and they demand nothing less than an Adonis with infinitely deep pockets while appearing incredibly obnoxious themselves.

This is a bit off topic but since we are talking about womens preferences, I'll ask it here rather than create another thread. I've noticed that some women state that they are attracted to tall men. Is height seen as a universally beneficial attribute? Is a taller man automatically hotter (assuming everything else is equal)? I don't personally see height affecting a womans attractiveness at all (midgets and giants might be an exception though). Shorter or taller than me, they are all great

Quote Originally Posted by Take2 View Post
    Wow, that is the opposite of my experience with online dating. I mean, except that I do have kids and in the course of online dating I decided I will only date a guy with kids. Of course, while I am decent looking, I wouldn't claim to have NO baggage and would assume anyone who did claim that was lying. I had so much success with online dating that I convinced two friends to try it, and one is now in a long-term happy relationship from it.

I met several interesting, intelligent, funny guys with online dating. I went a little minimalist with my self-description, but I got a lot of compliments on how it was written and read a lot of well-written ones from guys. I made one new friend and met my current bf through oonline dating. And from the friend, I have gotten the details of the male experience. It does seem like the percentage of girls he meets who are batcrap insane is higher than the percentage of crazy guys, but he has had a lot of success as well.

I am in a relationship now that resulted from online dating, and neither of us has tried to cut the other up and feed him//her to our pets.
    i'm glad to hear you had a pretty good experience with online dating. i think i would separate our experiences by age, though - i'm in the 22-28 range, but from an earlier post you made, i know that you're in your thirties or forties (no offense, can't remember which) i also think that all the gals my age with kids were also quite mature and emotionally stable in general (at least in comparison to the ones i went for who didn't have any), probably because they had to buckle down and make shit happen, which is a shame for me, because i'm not ready for that. and i was kidding about the last bit - my ex actually told me that she would feed me to her cat once!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Yet another guy View Post
    I hear ya. I used to think that online dating was my only chance for a relationship. Then I started reading those profiles. Only a handful of women of appropriate age nearby and they demand nothing less than an Adonis with infinitely deep pockets while appearing incredibly obnoxious themselves.

This is a bit off topic but since we are talking about womens preferences, I'll ask it here rather than create another thread. I've noticed that some women state that they are attracted to tall men. Is height seen as a universally beneficial attribute? Is a taller man automatically hotter (assuming everything else is equal)? I don't personally see height affecting a womans attractiveness at all (midgets and giants might be an exception though). Shorter or taller than me, they are all great
    good description of your experience hahaha. i would answer your question with this - one of my best buds is a helluvan attractive guy, but he's pretty short, as in 5'4. however, that doesn't stop him from getting his share of girls. when he was working at a local grocery, i'm pretty sure he screwed all his female coworkers and to top it off he came home from the bar with a woman in his arms almost every weekend. of course, girls do in general like taller men because to them, size equates to strength and power. if you're assertive and good looking, height shouldn't hurt your game too much. i'm lucky to be standing at 6'2 with 210 lbs! i tend to date pretty tall girls(5'8 to 5'11), but never one taller than me.
    Last edited by doppelgaenger; 24-12-10 at 09:46 PM.

Yes, doppel, I guess that age does play a factor. I am 35. And yes, I think it is important to know if you are cool with settling down with kids before dating someone who has them. It is no small thing to date a custodial parent.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast