+ Follow This Topic

Thread: What's the big deal about an age difference?

What's the big deal about an age difference?

IS there really a big deal? Obviously, if one of the people is under 18, and the other is much older, then yes, it's a big deal.

But assume that both people are over 18....in this case, one person is 21, and the other 34. The 21 year old is a single parent, looking for a more lasting relationship without "games" or drama. The 34 year old is, presumably, the more mature, readier-to-settle-down type. Both people are attracted to one another. Is the age difference too great? Should a person wonder about the motives of BOTH these people? Or is an age difference an afterthought?
    Negative Ghost Rider...the pattern is full.

yes there IS a big deal , but in this case , its not THAT bad , altho i find 21 to be a bit too young for a 34 y old . maybe if you were about 25-27 , then it would be alright ... i still think you got some growing up to do . meaning getting some more experience in life than to be with someone who has had 13y of more experience than you .

as long as it isn't a big deal for the two adults in question, it's not a big deal at all...

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I think 21 is too young to settle down, whether or not that 21 year old is a parent. (Unless you are talking about the father of the child.) People do a HUGE amount of growing up throughout their 20s, and what strikes you as a good idea at 21 will likely not strike you as a good idea when you are 30.

And yes, I would wonder why a 34 year old man would rather date a 21 year old single parent than a girl with no baggage.

Sorry.
    Last edited by vashti; 02-01-06 at 10:36 AM.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

maybe because he gets to have a younger girl , yes it more baggage but what 20 something y old guy would put up with a girl that has a kid , even if she is 21 and (may or may not be beatiful), if there is love then its great , if not i just think this guy is just looking to having all the advantages of this situation ... lets see

-young girl
    -he knows the young girl cant complain to much or he;ll leave meaning he has more "power" to do things and she will tolerate it
    -less good financially so that means she depends more on him
    -maybe he cant get a girl pregnant .

sorry for being a bit harsh , i just want you to get the picture and im kind of direct and realistic .

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    You're 21?

Yes, I am 21.....

Yes, I am a single mom....and the other guy is the 34 year old. A little more info: he's been married and has an ex wife and an 8 year old son who live in California...he loves kids....and has been out of a long term relationship for about 2 or 3 months now.

I have been told by numerous people that I come off much more mature than my years. Most people, when they meet me, think that I'm 24 or 25. I am looking for a more steady relationship...not specifically looking for a marriage proposal right now, but I want to be in a relationship with someone who is over playing games, and knows how to treat a woman well.

I guess I haven't thought much about his age yet because it's been a non-issue for me...I'm attracted to the guy...and he seems interested in me. I'm just curious to see what others think of the situation.

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Well, good luck then. But I have to say the whole "step" situation sucks for most people. That is why 2nd marriages have a higher failure rate than 1st time marriages. I would prepare yourself for many years of being the villain to his little boy should things work out, and it makes sense that he would date a young girl now. He probably needs someone to relieve him of some of the responsibility of dealing with his son, and is trying to re-create his broken family unit. Be REALLY careful, and do yourself a favor and get the ex-wife's story straight from her mouth before you get in too deep.

There is no way he is over his ex yet, by the way. I doubt he could even be divorced after such a short amount of time. You would probably be the rebound girl.
    Last edited by vashti; 02-01-06 at 09:40 PM. Reason: edited for clarity
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

ohh , now you changed the whole situation , he also has baggage and lots of it . but dont you think that 2-3 months of being out of a long-term relationship is a bit too soon for someone else to be in his life . thats you .

i think he's not completely over the recent past relationship no matter what he says , deep down im pretty sure he;s not over it all whatever it might be .
    i just hope he's serious about YOUR relationship with him .

Like I said, I'm not looking for a proposal right now....things are all in the very beginning stages with him right now. Yes, he does have a lot of baggage as well (maybe this is the reason that I don't feel horribly intimidated by MY situation around him )...I don't know much yet about the whole ex-wife and son situation....I know he hates being without him son....blah blah blah.

I appreciate everyone's opinion in this matter....it gives me some things to think about.

Jeblina----" The 34 year old is, presumably, the more mature, readier-to-settle-down type."

This assumption is flawed. Some 34yr olds are mature and sensible. Very grounded and settled. Than there are the others.....:-( Still playing the field, still very immature, still not knowing what they want and busying stringing the girl along.

Age is just a number.