+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Still can't decide on a major!!

Still can't decide on a major!!

I'm about to enter my second year of college and I am still undecided. I initially was going for business as my major but changed it to undecided after dropping out of a business class. I hated the class..might just have been the horrible teacher though.

Anyways I still do not know what I want to do with my life. I hate math but am interested in science. I don't really enjoy history. I am adequate in English but don't think I would want a English related field such as journalism or something.

I am am interested in photography and acting. I am enrolled in a film class this upcoming semester so I'll see if I enjoy that. I need to start deciding on a major quick!!

Anybody know any majors that might spark my interest? What jobs would you be able to land in the major(s) you listed? Do you enjoy the major(s) you have chosen? Are there a lot of lucrative jobs with that major?

If you already know you are interested in the sciences, that is exactly where I'd go... That's the only thing you have listed that has any decent job prospects available with a Bachelor's degree. Consider chemistry or bio-chem. The professors will probably talk about career choices at some point...

DoesntMatter is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Go with an employable major, such as science. I use to think a science major was for people who couldn't hack engineering, but I have since partly changed my mind

anachronistic Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jbleezyj View Post
    I'm about to enter my second year of college and I am still undecided. I initially was going for business as my major but changed it to undecided after dropping out of a business class. I hated the class..might just have been the horrible teacher though.

Anyways I still do not know what I want to do with my life. I hate math but am interested in science. I don't really enjoy history. I am adequate in English but don't think I would want a English related field such as journalism or something.

I am am interested in photography and acting. I am enrolled in a film class this upcoming semester so I'll see if I enjoy that. I need to start deciding on a major quick!!

Anybody know any majors that might spark my interest? What jobs would you be able to land in the major(s) you listed? Do you enjoy the major(s) you have chosen? Are there a lot of lucrative jobs with that major?
    Like anyone else would say, science will get you an easy job, even with an undergrad degree. And if you are smart enough to get your PhD, you could end up with a very fun job.

Sometimes I thought about going into science/writing/philosophy, but the thing is, I can easily learn those on my own. In fact, my English professor last semester told me that, based on my research papers, I could easily go into any of those fields. Just think that's kind of funny, compared to what another member said on here

I know a lot of people who went to school for Photography, and that and Graphic Design, as an undergrad degree do give you a very likely chance to get hired in those fields, since they're popping up everywhere. The thing is, though, companies are more likely to hire a freelance artist with a good portfolio. A good portfolio will easily outclass a degree, not kidding.

Not sure what to tell you. If you're pretty successful, you could study something like acting. That is a verrrry competitive field, and you're literally depending on your skills, a lot more than any other field of study. You're probably better off going into something that is more developed with the economy.
    Last edited by anachronistic; 21-08-08 at 09:01 AM.

Go for where the money is and do hobbies on the side. It's the best strategy for the future.
    Don't cry, don't regret and don't blame
    Weak find the whip, willing find freedom
    Towards the sun, carry your name
    In warm hands you are given
    Ask the wind for the way
    Uncertainty's gone, your path will unravel
    Accept all as it is and do not blame
    God or the Devil
    ~Born to Live - Mavrik~

I had a very well-respected professor once tell me it is a bad idea to make your hobby into your profession... once you start getting paid for something, it becomes a job and you lose at least some of your love for it.

Gribble is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    The nice thing about journalism is it can be applied to a lot of different careers. A journalism degree can get you into business if that's your interest. Journalism isn't an easy major, though. You're going to have to actually arrange interviews with people. You'll have to travel around and attend speeches. Internships will probably be mandatory. Spell a proper name wrong and you fail an assignment. Plagiarize, even unwittingly, and you'll get booted out.
    God, so atrocious in the Old Testament, so attractive in the New--the Jekyl and Hyde of sacred romance.
    -Mark Twain

If people are good only because they fear punishment and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
    -Albert Einstein

You may take computer science, there's a lot of money when your in this work.
    Making programs and graphics for sure you will enjoy this kind of job.

You cant be happy if your heart and mind is not willing.

anachronistic Guest
    I thought about going into computer programming. It was very hard not to... but I don't see that leading to my ultimate goal.

What do you want out of life, OP?

Quote Originally Posted by anachronistic View Post
    I thought about going into computer programming. It was very hard not to... but I don't see that leading to my ultimate goal.

What do you want out of life, OP?
    I don't really know yet. I know I don't want a boring job. I want to travel. I want to make a decent amount of money to support myself and other interests. That's all I am sure about right now. I guess I need to do more self searching of what I want to do with my life. o_O

The thought is just terrifying that what I am going to do will probably affect my whole life. o_O

Why don't you go for some career counseling at your school?

anachronistic Guest
    Maybe you should study some foreign languages and get a business degree. You could become an ambassador or something, which would be pretty interesting.

I study German. The best languages to learn these days are the industrial ones. Chinese and German are two languages you might want to consider learning. Most of those people can speak English, but learning their language, you will be able to communicate with them even better.

Kiechi could tell you a little bit about school programs like that. Lipp too.

Yeah, try french too. If you like traveling take journalism, pilot, marine or geography that will do.
    You should decide because its going to be your future.

I used to aim for environmental science since it ties together a lot of different sciences rather than specializing, and the field work is a lot more fun than being a lab rat. Partly it was because I don't find much joy in having "just another job" than any other person could replace you in. Photography and travelling works well too, my environmental systems teacher from high school has a lot of photography and travelling done while teaching. Even got an album.

[url]http://www.highrangephotography.com/[/url]

I was aiming for it, but I'm not sciency enough for the chemistry part of it, and after half a year of aiming for a politics+economics+environmental science mix (future prospects sure look good for it, eh?) I tried a designing subject and found architecture to be my thing. Didnt even consider it at first, damn glad that I found it.

And environmental studies + learning chinese could surely work out. And we're not "save-the-world!" hippies :p