+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Escaping my family?

Escaping my family?

Okay, I am caught up in a bind over this one issue. While I really like this girl I wonder if I my personal goal of getting away from my family makes me appear as a jerk. She has been sick lately and I have told me friends that ¨I would rather be with her where I can be more use to her than be here where my family seems to be repelling me.¨
    About 4 weeks after New Years, my family (which consist of my mom and brother) have asked me almost daily ¨to move out.¨ I am only 18, don´t have much money to my name. I want to leave my family behind but I don´t want to seem like I am using someone whom I like more than anything and anyone in this world as an escape from family problems.

Please, any advice will be greatly appreciated.
    God answers you, you may not hear it but he gives you the tools you need to fix your problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Rinyotsu View Post
    Okay, I am caught up in a bind over this one issue. While I really like this girl I wonder if I my personal goal of getting away from my family makes me appear as a jerk. She has been sick lately and I have told me friends that ¨I would rather be with her where I can be more use to her than be here where my family seems to be repelling me.¨
    About 4 weeks after New Years, my family (which consist of my mom and brother) have asked me almost daily ¨to move out.¨ I am only 18, don´t have much money to my name. I want to leave my family behind but I don´t want to seem like I am using someone whom I like more than anything and anyone in this world as an escape from family problems.

Please, any advice will be greatly appreciated.
    Hm, that is very interesting. I am in a similar situation it seems. I was just wondering yesterday to myself, "Is where a girl lives a good reason to be with her?" That might sound crazy but... It's a common interest! I have a girl in a really nice warm climate and a couple friends who I really like who live elsewhere.

If you are being genuine with this girl, she shouldn't have any reason to feel you're a jerk. Besides, that's what's SUPPOSED to happen in life eventually. Guy takes girl away, girl takes guy away... Completely natural. If you are considering moving in her with her and haven't talked much about it yet, you'd better do that before you get ahead of yourself. Good luck with it all!

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I think you should be trying to figure out how to be independent, without having to rely on a girl (or your mom, or anyone else) to help you out. That is your task at this age if you aren't enrolled in college, and it will serve you well over the long run and make you into a responsible man.

Why is your mom and brother so anxious to be rid of you? Are you difficult to get along with?

Gribble is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Get a job. Rent a room. Take as many classes as you possibly can. Problem solved.

Leave your family in the dust. Make them pay by becoming successful in spite of them and never, ever give them a dime no matter how bad they need it.
    God, so atrocious in the Old Testament, so attractive in the New--the Jekyl and Hyde of sacred romance.
    -Mark Twain

If people are good only because they fear punishment and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
    -Albert Einstein

Gee, Gribble, you're about as spiteful as me! We could probably be great friends! Heheh

I am working on getting into college, I need a much better paying job that will give me more hours. As it stands now, I am only getting around $50 a week if I am lucky and working less than 15 hours a week. I am in the process of looking for a job up near the college I am planning to attend so I can pretty much just go to college, work, sleep in my car for a few hours, then repeat. If I can get a better job that pays more about $7/hr, and more than 15 hrs a week, I should be good to live in my car til I invest enough (my style is to invest about twice as much as I will need for a purchase so that I still have enough money).

I am not sure what I have done to my family but I think it has something to do with my brothers new friends, they seem to be making him into a flatout jerk and he will piss me off at school and act like nothing happened so that I am sick of being around him and my mom doesn´t get it and thinks it is all my fault. Honestly, at this point gribble´s idea isn´t bad. Unlike most of my classmates, I opted to take the full schedule at school to get away from my family. Anyone asks I either tell them that or that i want to learn as much as i can while I am here (which is still true and gets them off my case faster).

I also have a bunch of ideas for inventions (at least 6 written down, 1 in the prototyping stage) I hope to get sponsors for one or more and try to get them built and sold so that I can live off that, complete college and be successful. I am not saying it is a solid plan but it is coming together pretty well so hopefully everything will be good.

Well, before I get to rambling anymore, I better get to bed. Its 2 am and I got school in 6 hours, lol.
    God answers you, you may not hear it but he gives you the tools you need to fix your problems.

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Your goal is seriously to make enough money to live in your car?

I don't think your plan is a very good one. Wouldn't it be smarter to make yourself as busy as possible during the day to minimize contact and return home at night to shower and sleep?

Your brother may be a jerk, but the world is full of jerks, and there is no escaping them. I think you should try to learn to get along a little better.

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by vashti View Post
    Your brother may be a jerk, but the world is full of jerks, and there is no escaping them. I think you should try to learn to get along a little better.
    The jerk you shit on today may be the jerk you need tomorrow.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

I will take your advice vashti. But trust me that there is no way to get along better because every single attempt ends in failure. At this point I have to tolerate him and that is getting harder and harder. Mix that with the constant ¨move out already¨ I am getting. At this point, my car looks like a mansion at this point. I am going to try to get a dorm at the college I am planning to attend but I am not sure at this point. I have to get the job first and that will determine how it works.