View Poll Results: Is it ever a good idea to date a friend?

Voters
2. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

1 50.00%
  • No

1 50.00%
+ Follow This Topic

Thread: is it ever a good idea to date a friend?

is it ever a good idea to date a friend?

This is purely a hypothetical question but i just wanted to know the general public opinion (despite this forum obviously being slightly skewed to those interested in relationship advice / heart broken).

Basically do you think that its ever a good idea to date someone you've been friends with for ages?

lets set the minimum time limit to 2 years of being friends ... never having kissed or anything before hand ... never shown any jealousy or intentionality before hand ... you have however talked about relationships on an objective basis ... talked about sex openly but never with any insinuation of it happening ...

because on paper i have friends who if i felt a spark for would be the most perfect relationship in the whole world (if it was mutual obviously) There is no spark in my case, but if there was i dunno if it would be a good idea to act on it?

just wondered peoples thoughts?
    Last edited by eonbar; 06-12-10 at 11:54 PM.

Assuming that your goal is to eventually spend your life with someone, I think that it can be a good idea to date a friend. The only difference between a friendship and a relationship is sex after all. There is the possibility of things not working out and both the relationship and friendship ending, but that is a risk that has to be considered on a case by case basis by those involved.
    ...one can be sure of nothing until it has already happened...

If you've known somebody for say two years and never been tempted to 'get it on' then I'd say no. Otherwise you would have 'got it on' a long time ago

I disagree. Circumstances change, people change, and then there are weird turns of events that make one reevaluate things and people in their lives.

When you are dating someone you are trying to get to know them better, and the other way around. If you already know each other well, and there is a spark of romantic chemistry there it is a no brainer IMO.
    ...one can be sure of nothing until it has already happened...