+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Are there any Graphic Designers here?!

Are there any Graphic Designers here?!

Hey there! I was wondering if there was any fellow Graphic Designers here?! Im a Graphic Designer and I run a site with my friend Kristi on Facebook. Stop by and check us out sometime on Facebook. Search for Knight's Designs

What is your favorite thing to design? Mine is icons and banners.

Also, Id love to see some of your work
    ~ Loving My Honey Bunch ~

*shivers* No offense meant, but that's just wrong, very wrong. "Graphic designers" who use comic sans fonts... that's... just wrong.

I worked for a newspaper for a number of years, typography. Now it's more of a hobby.

Quote Originally Posted by the_robot View Post
    *shivers* No offense meant, but that's just wrong, very wrong. "Graphic designers" who use comic sans fonts... that's... just wrong.

Haha. Yeah, I didnt know what font to use on here. I usually use Script M Bold. Are you a Graphic Designer?

Quote Originally Posted by doppelgaenger View Post
    I worked for a newspaper for a number of years, typography. Now it's more of a hobby.
    That is pretty neat. How'd you get started doing it?

Webdesigner here
    Can someone please explain what is so great about constantly being reminded of that which you cannot have?

Quote Originally Posted by MetalPhoenix View Post
    Webdesigner here
    Thats cool. Im going back to college soon for Webpage Design. Is it hard?!

Quote Originally Posted by neelym2011 View Post
    That is pretty neat. How'd you get started doing it?
    I had connections with the head editor and she hired me full time the day of the interview.

Thats cool. Im going back to college soon for Webpage Design. Is it hard?!
    It's not hard. I never went to school for it and I've commissioned around 30 websites as freelance work.

@neelym: Pretty much what doppelgaenger said.
    I'm struggeling a bit with the design part, but the HTML/CSS behind it is fun
    So Webdesigner is a bit overdone (I'm still in school...finishing a final internship a.t.m.)...I like designing, but I'm not that good at it..I prefer the tech behind it...
    Can someone please explain what is so great about constantly being reminded of that which you cannot have?

Quote Originally Posted by doppelgaenger View Post
    I had connections with the head editor and she hired me full time the day of the interview.

It's not hard. I never went to school for it and I've commissioned around 30 websites as freelance work.
    How do you get into making websites? I need to make a website for Knight's Designs but Im not sure how to get started. Any ideas or tips?

@neelym: Pretty much what doppelgaenger said.
    So Webdesigner is a bit overdone (I'm still in school...finishing a final internship a.t.m.)...I like designing, but I'm not that good at it..I prefer the tech behind it...
    What program do you use to do your designs on?! I know a little bit of HTML/CSS but not much.

How do you get into making websites? I need to make a website for Knight's Designs but Im not sure how to get started. Any ideas or tips?
    As a hobby, like everything else. It's really not that complicating. You should find some tutorials on the internet.

Haha. Yeah, I didnt know what font to use on here. I usually use Script M Bold. Are you a Graphic Designer?
    Dear, fonts are about much more than looking fancy, sure, they must look good, but each font has a "meaning" and you have to use it accordingly, Aside from that, you have to balance it with readability, you can't use comic sans or script m bold fonts except for very specific details, or your designs turn into garbage. A good design doesn't have lots of fancy fonts and lots of photoshop effects put together, it has to be really well thought. Everyone can pick up photoshop, put a few effects together and call it a graphic design, that doesn't make it so, it's just a bunch of effects put together.

And no, I'm not a designer, I'm an engineer, but I've always felt like the stuff I make public must look good, so I make an effort to learn about design, despite I suck at it compared to really good designers.

Ummm... what is there to web design aside from HTML+CSS (and js)?

Quote Originally Posted by the_robot View Post
    Dear, fonts are about much more than looking fancy, sure, they must look good, but each font has a "meaning" and you have to use it accordingly, Aside from that, you have to balance it with readability, you can't use comic sans or script m bold fonts except for very specific details, or your designs turn into garbage. A good design doesn't have lots of fancy fonts and lots of photoshop effects put together, it has to be really well thought. Everyone can pick up photoshop, put a few effects together and call it a graphic design, that doesn't make it so, it's just a bunch of effects put together.

And no, I'm not a designer, I'm an engineer, but I've always felt like the stuff I make public must look good, so I make an effort to learn about design, despite I suck at it compared to really good designers.
    Yes sir, you're exactly right. I went to college for Graphic Design so Ive learned all about that as well as resolutions to make the images so if you want to print them out it wont look all blurry. I have been designing for about 2 to 3 years now. I dont use Photoshop anymore, I use Corel Paint Shop Pro X2. I do anything from banners to photo cards to icons to animated stuff. It takes me a while to figure out how I want my stuff set up and how I want it to look. Alot of people like my work but I think that it can always improve so thats why I learn different techniques daily.

What program do you use to do your designs on?! I know a little bit of HTML/CSS but not much.
    For the design: Photoshop
    For the tech-stuff: Dreamweaver

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast