+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Possible office romance or friendly colleagues?

Possible office romance or friendly colleagues?

Hi everyone!

Here's my story, i'll try and make it short and succinct. I've been working at my current place for about two months now and have recently been talking to this guy. We'll call him Brett. I've noticed him since the first day i started working there but i didn't get much of a response from him when we made eye contact.

Only a couple of weeks ago did we start talking. He's friends with my other colleague that i started training with and they were both in the kitchen talking. I went by and started talking to my friend and had a brief conversation with the both of them.

Ever since then, if Brett and i made eye contact while i walked past his desk we'd both smile and acknowledge each other. We've spoken twice since the initial time with my friend. The first one-on-one chat we had was pretty general, we spoke about work and uni. He mentioned which uni he went to which is near a major bustling road that runs along all the way to my house. I asked if he liked hanging out there since it's close to his uni. He said he goes there all the time. And he asked me where I like to hang out. I said the same road, but closer to my place.

He proceeded to say "Well, we should hang out sometime then! What's your number?" i was a little taken aback. He just asked me so suddenly and i don't think he understood that i hang out on the same road but on the other side of town! I wanted to give my number to him but i felt a bit shy and didn't want to do so on the pretense that he thought I'm in the same area. So i made it clear to him of that. He just said "Oh okay" .....that's it, we continued on our conversation.

The second one-on-one conversation wasn't too eventful. I'm planning to quit actually and he asked me about it. He said i should stay or at least stay until i find another job. That was that.

It's difficult to find time to chat to him since i work at a call centre so every second of my shift i am making calls. the only time i get to chat to Brett is when we're coincidentally on break at the same time. We don't email each other (which is a good thing, as i like to talk in person, but also makes me think that he's not interested).

He's a really nice and interesting guy that i'd like to get to know and i just want to find out whether he feels the same way? I'm a little confused about his intentions judging from the interactions we've had. He doesn't seem to want to make an effort to speak to me but when we do we have good conversations. I'm not sure how to handle the situation either because i don't want to "scare" him by asking him for his number [i.e girl chasing guy].

And here's a little tid bit of information which may or may not make a difference to anything. I'm Asian but i've been grown up western. He is Indian, but has lived in the middle east (or something like that) for a while so he's not much of a fob. [Would this play apart in girls making a move on the guy??]

So i guess what i'm asking is, should i wait for him to make a move or should i just do it?

Thanks for reading guys! I'll be looking forward to the responses
    Last edited by siss088; 15-10-09 at 02:43 AM. Reason: Add another sentence

If a guy asks for your number at work and you reject him, expect him to never ask again (at least that's the way it works in the US with our harassment laws).

If you want to talk to him more you have to just give him your number and tell him you'd love to hear from him.

I agree with Chupacabras. You should have given your number when he asked for it. The only way to talk to him is to give him your number and hang out at some place. Take it easily.

Maybe you could organize a group of people to go out and do something after work and invite him. That way you're not being too forward but you can spend time with him outside of work.
    Spammer Spanker

It sounded like maybe there wasn't a ton of sparks there, but he was willing to give it a chance and you let it slip through your fingers.

GB gave some good advice to try and salvage the opportunity if you're still interested.

Thanks for the responses :] I'm not sure why i froze up when he asked for my number, i guess i was a bit shocked he asked so quickly! It's early days but i too have noticed there is only a mild interest on his part which is completely fine (i like a challenge hahah).

I'm not very good at organising outings unfortunately for me...so i think i'll just need to go for it and give him my number and he can decide from there..

i'll be sure to update on the progress!

That sounds like the best plan siss ! Good luck and let us know if something develops.

Quote Originally Posted by siss088 View Post
    Thanks for the responses :] I'm not sure why i froze up when he asked for my number, i guess i was a bit shocked he asked so quickly! It's early days but i too have noticed there is only a mild interest on his part which is completely fine (i like a challenge hahah).

I'm not very good at organising outings unfortunately for me...so i think i'll just need to go for it and give him my number and he can decide from there..

i'll be sure to update on the progress!
    he asked for your number because he knows what he wants.

Quote Originally Posted by davidtorres View Post
    he asked for your number because he knows what he wants.
    I certainly hope so lol I just think that, if the conversation didn't lead to it, he wouldn't have asked. i couldn't see him randomly asking me. I'm leaving the work place in two weeks! so i've got to make my move soonish. hehe

slow(no) progress . . .

We spoke again today. It left me a little confused. He motioned me over to him and passed on a "hi" to me from my friend (who recently quit). We got to talking and he asked me what i was doing on the weekend. I said I was working at my other job (retail). He asked me about it and i joked about how i can "hook him up" with the products that i sell.

He then says "Hook me up with a girl! thats what i want... i'm open." I didn't know what to say! i just umed and ahhed... lol I said "okay, i'll think about that" LOL not entirely sure what i meant by that.. So it's left me a little confused.

To me he was pretty much saying "Do you have any hot friends you can introduce me to?" *sigh*

He probably didn't mean much by it but what do you think?

Remember, you've already rejected him.

If there's a plate of food in front of you, quit complaining about being hungry and just eat the damned food!

qwertz is offline Chav hater
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    why dont you just email your number to him...say if he wants to meet up or hang out whatever then he now has it.
    failing that, when you leave, give him a bit of paper with your number on it and say the same- if he wants to hang out it would be good.

thats if your too shy to just say- look, heres my number, you wanna go out such and such?
    thats what id do, but then i just say what im thinking (not always the best thing lol)

LOL I really didn't mean to reject him. But i see what you mean. He's got me thinking about him so much cos he barely shows any interest haha.

qwerty123 that's exactly what i was thinking of doing. Just scribble my number on a piece of paper and let him know i'm up for catching up with him.

i'm shy and nervous about it but i like face-to-face contact.

little update

I can't stop laughing at what happened today at work.

We exchanged a few emails, nothing exciting, no flirting -_-

Given the lack of 'chemistry' in the emails exchanged, i re-thought about giving him my number. We bumped into each other while exiting the building and i mentioned that tomorrow will be my last day. He straight away asked what my contact details were. He didn't take out his phone or anything so i said 'ok... do you want my number?' and then he says "oh i'll get it tomorrow, see ya!"

O_O

LOL what the...?? LOLOLOLOL i don't know what to think -_- For some reason i think it's hilarious what happened... who says that!?

Any insight would be interesting but i'm sure i know what his actions mean. No real interest.

siss, I hate to say it, but from everything you're telling us...from a guy's pov, he's not interested :-P

Don't spend so much energy on him.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast