+ Follow This Topic

Thread: My Sassy Girl.

My Sassy Girl.

This is like the coolest love story ever made. Also based on a real story. Thanks to MouseKookie, readin' his thread inspired me to create this one. Hope everything works out for you dude.

Synopsis:

Divided into two disparate parts, Jae-young Kwak’s My Sassy Girl starts out as a seemingly typical gross out comedy, but it improves greatly as it proceeds. Based on a real-life anonymous online diary, this South Korean movie tells the story of Kyun-woo (Tae-hyun Cha), an average, aimless college student who gets shoved into a relationship with a bossy, overbearing, and unnamed girl (Ji-hyun Jun) after he’s forced to accompany her home after she gets drunk and vomits on a subway passenger. Most of the film’s early scenes mine laughs as they place Kyun-woo in embarrassing situations, and the film here resembles a descendant of the great slapstick comedies. We watch as Kyun-woo’s new girlfriend repeatedly humiliates him (any time he crosses her, she smacks him and asks threateningly, “Do you wanna die?”), but he tells us in his narration that he continues to pursue her since he suspects there is an undercurrent of goodness in her. During this segment of the movie, Kyun-woo is thrown in prison a few times, taken hostage, and publicly embarrassed because of his involvement with the girl. Since the girl is an aspiring screenwriter, we also imagine the two in several humorous parodies of popular film genres, such as the Terminator-style action movie, the Korean melodrama, and the wu-xia film. These early scenes are engaging, but hardly revelatory, since they spend as much time trudging through clichés as overcoming them with inventiveness.

It’s only the second half of the film, which suggests there’s a real emotional element to their relationship that was only hinted at in the first half, that My Sassy Girl really takes off. The film becomes much less scattershot as it begins to find the heart in the girl that Kyun-woo suspected was there all along. The movie veers toward the melodramatic, as it trots out a series of surprises and coincidences about her past, but it remains surprisingly poignant nonetheless. The sense of longing that arises suggests that much of the conflict between them in the first half of the film was born out of a combination of their reluctance to get burned by a soured relationship and their unshakable desire to be in one, and the shift in gears in downright touching. Whatever small flaws might exist in My Sassy Girl, the charismatic leads make it more than worthwhile. Jun, in particular, gives a terrific performance. She’s as lively and impudent as the title suggests, and she exudes star power whenever she’s on screen. Apparently, My Sassy Girl is slated to be remade by Dreamworks. Here’s to hoping the producers of the American version of this special movie realize what it is about it that made it the top-grossing comedy ever in South Korea.
    Live together. Die alone - [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvi_RCM3FAM[/url]

Aw, dang 18 views and no replies, guess people don't really dig Korean movies :: Shrugs ::
    Live together. Die alone - [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvi_RCM3FAM[/url]

Illusional is offline different state of mind
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    haha well i usually don't watch korean dramas. i think that i have only seen one, and it was a mixture of wan bin and kokyo fukada. hell, i'm not even sure if i were korean, i think that it was produced by the japanese.

althought i skimmed through your summary of this movie, and i think that you might like this japanese drama. it's really old, i think that it came out around 97, but it is rated on most sites as the number 2 drama of all time. it's called "long vacation". check it out if you have time.

raverboy
    ...this is just my perspective on the situation...

Kiechi,
    I go to a residential boarding school in the state of Illinois (IMSA), and there is a file-sharing network that resides within the intranet (the school firewall prevents any chance of filesharing outside of the network). Oh, by the way, I'm not an advocate of filesharing. But anyhow, the popularity of the movie has grown immensely at our school in the recent months, and groups of people would get together to watch it (and it's related movie Windstruck).

I just wanted to let you know that you're words are not in vain. My Sassy Girl is a masterpiece.

Quote Originally Posted by Psycam
    Kiechi,
    I go to a residential boarding school in the state of Illinois (IMSA), and there is a file-sharing network that resides within the intranet (the school firewall prevents any chance of filesharing outside of the network). Oh, by the way, I'm not an advocate of filesharing. But anyhow, the popularity of the movie has grown immensely at our school in the recent months, and groups of people would get together to watch it (and it's related movie Windstruck).

I just wanted to let you know that you're words are not in vain. My Sassy Girl is a masterpiece.
    Good to hear! Thanks!

I adore My Sassy Girl. Jun JiHyun is probably my favourite actress ever. Other romance films with her are great too... il mare and Windstruck (which is a kind of sequel to Sassy girl) both made me cry. ~~XxX~~

Choi Yi

Wah, I think I go check it out. Good to see my my sassy girl fans!

Dude this is one of the best movies i have ever seen, lol. Funny as hell. Thank you for posting this thread. lol omg. to think i would never have seen it, lol. Do you want to die? Drink coffee XD
    Boys dont cry...

Haha no problem! Glad you enjoyed it.

i loved that movie. i'm a big fan of korean movies and dramas.

w00t people finally postin'. Thanks for your opinion sweetangle.