+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Career.

Bo is offline Registered User
    Users Country Flag

Career.

Recently i've had a change of heart about what i want to do, i really wanted to go into psychology/sociology but anything worth going for in that field really requires EXTENSIVE schooling and i'm not sure if i can mentally handle ppl coming to me with their life problems every single day so i'm stuck, i'm giving myself a couple months to figure out what i want to do and start planning this at my school but i want to figure out something soon. Any ideas? I'm a people person when it comes to helping and caring so i'm thinking maybe a nurse? But there's a lot of science involved in the courses needed for nursing at my school and the transfer program and i SUCK at science.
    "Sometimes the best way to throw a punch is to take a step back"~Morgan freeman

Users Country Flag
    I feel like i've wasted the last 3 years of my life in college and it ****ing sucks

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    What are you good at? What do you enjoy? What are your interests?
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Users Country Flag
    i'm good at a lot of things but i'm trying to make my career goals realistic you know? It's hard, i feel like i can't do what i really want to do. I love sociology and psychology, art and social work. I'm trying to get a balance between something realistic for me and achievable and also a career that pays a decent salary. I feel like there aren't a lot of job opportunities in the field i want to go in

Users Country Flag
    My parents are always pressing me about school and it's stressful as hell.

In a tree somwhere (I'm on the fifth leaf on the 16th branch)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bo View Post
    Recently i've had a change of heart about what i want to do, i really wanted to go into psychology/sociology but anything worth going for in that field really requires EXTENSIVE schooling and i'm not sure if i can mentally handle ppl coming to me with their life problems every single day so i'm stuck, i'm giving myself a couple months to figure out what i want to do and start planning this at my school but i want to figure out something soon. Any ideas? I'm a people person when it comes to helping and caring so i'm thinking maybe a nurse? But there's a lot of science involved in the courses needed for nursing at my school and the transfer program and i SUCK at science.
    I don't think you suck at it. Science is fun, what makes it suck is that there is too much to memorize.
    He who laughs last, thinks the slowest

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Nursing school is NOT fun; it's like boot camp - you just need to get through it. I absolutely HATED nursing school, but I love being a nurse, and yes - you will need to take science courses, and you will need to do very well in them. Most schools won't consider you without a GPA of at least 3.0, and they will flunk you out for grades under 75% for general studies, and 100% in your dosage calculations. Still, I know you are smart, and you could do it if you are motivated. Science is my weakest area of study, and *I* did it.

Another thought: have you considered being a social worker? (What one considers a "good salary" is actually pretty subjective.)
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by nerdy_guy View Post
    I don't think you suck at it. Science is fun, what makes it suck is that there is too much to memorize.
    No, I really actually suck at science. lol

Quote Originally Posted by vashti View Post
    Nursing school is NOT fun; it's like boot camp - you just need to get through it. I absolutely HATED nursing school, but I love being a nurse, and yes - you will need to take science courses, and you will need to do very well in them. Most schools won't consider you without a GPA of at least 3.0, and they will flunk you out for grades under 75% for general studies, and 100% in your dosage calculations. Still, I know you are smart, and you could do it if you are motivated. Science is my weakest area of study, and *I* did it.

Another thought: have you considered being a social worker? (What one considers a "good salary" is actually pretty subjective.)
    I know once I make a concrete decision on what i'm going to do than motivation won't be an issue. But i've hear nursing programs are very competitive and i've looked up the requirements at my school for the transfer program and I'm really not sure how i'm going to do in all those science classes. Science just does not 'click' for me. And yes i've considered social work, but i've heard salary is pretty low unless i'm wrong.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Yes, the programs are very competitive, and even if you get in, the drop rate is high. The first semester I was in nursing school, we lost about 1/3 of our students due to grades, with more being lost to poor clinical skills/grades during the rest of the program. You would just have to schedule in your study time (rather than deciding to do it all over a weekend). You can do it.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

Have you tried this ? [url=http://www.humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/jtypes2.asp]Personality test based on Jung and Briggs Myers typology[/url]

Based on Myers-Briggs personality types concept. Gives you an idea of what jobs you may be suitable for.
    Just use the free stuff. No need to pay for anything.

Good luck !

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by asdfg789 View Post
    Have you tried this ? [url=http://www.humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/jtypes2.asp]Personality test based on Jung and Briggs Myers typology[/url]

Based on Myers-Briggs personality types concept. Gives you an idea of what jobs you may be suitable for.
    Just use the free stuff. No need to pay for anything.

Good luck !
    I am an ISFJ (22-12-19-67). My best jobs include nursing.

Mine is INFJ. Explains why I suck at what I do

What about you, Bo ?

qwertz is offline Chav hater
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I got ENTJ, management in business came up as a best job. Thats exactly what I am.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by qwertz View Post
    I got ENTJ, management in business came up as a best job. Thats exactly what I am.
    I'm also this and am management in education. LOL.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Mathias is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Huh. I would guess ISJ, but not F. I would put T over F.

How close was it?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast